Punting Saves In a 5x5 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Punting Saves In a 5x5

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Punting Saves In a 5x5

Postby RJ24VC15 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:19 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:I'd like to know what leagues you guys play in where saves are easy to pick up off the FA/waiver. It's not that they are not there, but every league I've played in, you had better be quicker than mercury to have any hope of being competitive in saves based on that.

Well it's finding the emerging guys on waivers. Some times you have to anticipate a move before it happens and find the guy who will get those saves.

But my main point about the saves is that it's the only catagory you can wait until round 10 to draft and still do well. You would just need to grab 3-4 guys.
RJ24VC15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby makewayhomer » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:55 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:I'd like to know what leagues you guys play in where saves are easy to pick up off the FA/waiver. It's not that they are not there, but every league I've played in, you had better be quicker than mercury to have any hope of being competitive in saves based on that.

in my league, you really need to be out ahead of the news by at least a few days. last year I picked up Matt Capps probably 2 weeks before he became the closer. with a 5 person bench, we can afford or 1 or 2 speculative pickups like this.

almost never can you pick up a guy after he is "officially" named Closer.

fwiw, this is a 16 team league
makewayhomer
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:38 am

If you check the Cafe daily during the season, you'll be ahead of the curve in being able to pounce on closers-in-waiting right before they become "official." Doesn't pan out every single time (Todd Coffey, anyone?), but it's worked out for me with Manny Corpas, Matt Capps, etc. (12-team league by the way).
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Secret Avatar » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:56 pm

I have never heard of anyone winning a league (or even finishing in the top 3) by punting saves or any other category. That does not mean you have to spend a ton of draft money or picks on closers. Nor do you necessarily have to try to win the saves category. But you DO need to at least be competitive.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby kemper5 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:04 pm

I basically punted Saves and SB's last year and ended up in the $$.. I only had 25 Saves for the year, however 2 other teams had fewer than me in my 5x5..However in pitching my whip/K's W and ERA were stellar. I won 1st in Wins, and finished in top 3 in all the rest and My hitting I punted SB's (dead last with 75, 26 off 11th place) but again finished 1st-3rd in everything else.. It's a huge gamble, but if you play your cards right, you can finish in the $..If you can balance and get 41-45 points each for both pitching and hitting, you should be sitting well.
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:43 pm

Secret Avatar wrote:I have never heard of anyone winning a league (or even finishing in the top 3) by punting saves or any other category. That does not mean you have to spend a ton of draft money or picks on closers. Nor do you necessarily have to try to win the saves category. But you DO need to at least be competitive.

I punted W and K in a 15 teamer a few years ago (no IP limit) and won. It can be done but it is difficult unless you can exploit the league settings. I would not try to punt anything in standard leagues.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:48 pm

Yoda wrote:
Secret Avatar wrote:I have never heard of anyone winning a league (or even finishing in the top 3) by punting saves or any other category. That does not mean you have to spend a ton of draft money or picks on closers. Nor do you necessarily have to try to win the saves category. But you DO need to at least be competitive.

I punted W and K in a 15 teamer a few years ago (no IP limit) and won. It can be done but it is difficult unless you can exploit the league settings. I would not try to punt anything in standard leagues.

You took a 1 in two out of 10 categories and won the league? This I need an explanation of, because there's only 98 possible points for you to win in a 12-team 5x5 league, and that's if you sweep the other 8 categories. I don't see how it's possible.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 354)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:22 pm

BillyHallDisciple wrote:If you check the Cafe daily during the season, you'll be ahead of the curve in being able to pounce on closers-in-waiting right before they become "official." Doesn't pan out every single time (Todd Coffey, anyone?), but it's worked out for me with Manny Corpas, Matt Capps, etc. (12-team league by the way).

Unfortunately I play in a Cafe League, so the guys posting those comments are picking up the closers in waiting before they let you know about them!
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:38 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Yoda wrote:I punted W and K in a 15 teamer a few years ago (no IP limit) and won. It can be done but it is difficult unless you can exploit the league settings. I would not try to punt anything in standard leagues.

You took a 1 in two out of 10 categories and won the league? This I need an explanation of, because there's only 98 possible points for you to win in a 12-team 5x5 league, and that's if you sweep the other 8 categories. I don't see how it's possible.

It was really hard but I pulled it off. I almost swept the rest of the pitching categories and if I didn't, there is no way this would have worked. Right click and view the photo to see the whole thing.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby rotoquest » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:53 am

Interesting data yoda,
Looks like you punted 2 categories whether accidental or on purpose, and the jorge punted saves and both of you came in the money finishing 1st & 3rd. If jorge would have picked up better middle relievers to help with era & whip he might of come in 2nd or caught you.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 193)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers