I NEED FEEDBACK ON STAT CATEGORIES - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

I NEED FEEDBACK ON STAT CATEGORIES

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I NEED FEEDBACK ON STAT CATEGORIES

Postby Monzz22 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:23 pm

whats up everyone, i'm in a 12-team H2H mixed keeper league. we can keep up to 10 players, positions are: c,1b,2b,3b,ss,of,of,of,util and you can have 10 pitchers. me and the commish are having a bit of a disagreement over stat categories. I prefer a 5x5 league, but the commish is in favor of more categories. This is what we are currently looking at:

Hitting: R, 1b, 2b, 3b, hr, rbi, sb, bb, k, avg
Pitching: IP, w, l, sv, CG, SHO, BB, K, ERA, BLOWN SAVES

First of all, I completely disagree with CG and SHO in a H2H because they are so rare that it's more or less luck. My biggest beef is with blown saves. I don't understand what the point of it is, and the only reason the commish gives is "because we need 10-10 hitting and pitching." But since CG and SHO is usually a wash 0-0, those categories really never come into play. I tried to convince the commish that we don't have to have balance, because we haven't in the past. And if he really wanted balance, he would drop the categories down to the standard 5x5 because then its real balance as opposed to the artificial balance we have now with CG and SHO. Also I can't think of a legit reason for blown saves in a H2H.

He will not get rid of CG or SHO, he thinks they are good for the league, but i think blown saves, walks allowed, and IP should be dropped in favor of WHIP, and to hell with the artificial balance the commish is trying to create. I NEED some feedback because I need to know if I am crazy or if the commish of my league is just being completely unreasonable. Thank you.
Monzz22
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I NEED FEEDBACK ON STAT CATEGORIES

Postby Matthias » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:49 am

Well, if I had to pick categories to jump out at me as bad, it wouldn't be pitching: it's the hitting ones. 1b, 2b, 3b, bb AND hr??? What? Could the commish not find a, "Strike out but got on because the catcher dropped the 3rd strike" category? There's no reason to count each one of them individually.

I would do something like: AVG, OBP, R, RBI, HR, SB, TB (Total Bases)
That gives you 7 hitting categories, all of which have some sort of individual meaning behind them.

Then you could match it up with: W, SV, K, ERA, IP, L, Blown Saves
If he really had to have CG's I would put it in for Blown Saves. If you use the 7 above, you would have 4 SP-favorable categories (Wins, K's, IP, Blown Saves) and 3 RP-favorable categories (SV, L, ERA) with the Losses acting as a drag to discourage people from churning too much. If you sub in CG's for Blown Saves then you still have a 4/3 split in favor of starters. But I would use the ones above. Blown Saves do have some meaning: first they provide the counterpoint to L's and secondly it is good to have some negative categories in pitching to avoid an over-reliance on either type of pitcher.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Commissioner's Corner