100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Daric Barton's usefullness?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Daric Barton's usefullness?

Postby MashinSpuds » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:59 am

hybrid wrote:
MashinSpuds wrote:
stumpak wrote:Your estimate is about right. Considering there is not much upside beyond this, that makes him quite unuseful in anything but an AL only league.

Well, that's what people said about Youkillis last year too, right? I wouldn't say he's useless in mixed leagues... far from it. If you're in a shallow league he might not be what you're looking for, but deep leagues, man, you can't pass those kind of stats up.

Youkillis played in a much better line up and park, where Barton lacks in both areas. Also 3B eligiblity helps out Youk quite a bit for being useful.

Youk wasn't exactly blasting them out of the park, wherever he was, but he was probably up 20 runs, 15 rbis or so given the team. That's besides the point, as Barton's overall stats will still deem him "useful" in mixed leagues, which is what I was aiming at when I made the comparison you quoted.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kemper5 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:45 am

I think he'll be very 14 HR, 73 RBI, 85 Run, .285 Ave useful
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Element » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:41 pm

Barton should develope some power eventually. He has a large frame, so once he grows into it, he could really put up some numbers. The Casey comparisons are about accurate though. He's worth a late round stab, but playing in that park & in that lineup isn't favorable for this season.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 610)

Postby athleticsfan13 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:03 pm

The A's lineup this year is getting no hype for a reason. Although a big A's fan, Barton will be solid but he is known for having a patient eye and not the power type he was when he was called up last year. The projects of 80R 15HR and 90RBI with 280+ average I think is Barton maxing out. I would put his numbers besides average, a little lower than that.
athleticsfan13
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bluesplaya » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:10 pm

I took Barton with my second to last pick and plan to slot him in my left over IF position with the hopes of a .300 avg and a bunch of doubles in 14 team a head-to-head categories yahoo league...hoping he rounds out the lower avg HR sluggers on my team, and gives me a big boost in doubles. Is he a lock to take the 1st base job?
bluesplaya
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Ender » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:12 am

Grab Overbay instead, better upside for the year and no more downside. Rookie risk vs injury risk.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers