Daric Barton's usefullness? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Daric Barton's usefullness?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Daric Barton's usefullness?

Postby SAKIC_19 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:50 pm

Anyone have any thoughts on Daric Barton's prospects for this upcoming season?

He appears to have the inside track of starting at 1B and possible hitting in the 3 spot in their order ahead of Cust.

Appears that he would be worthy of a late draft flier, i.e Round 20-22, and I have seen him projected at .280, 15 HRs, 80 R, 65 RBI, 3 SB.

Any thoughts?
SAKIC_19
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Daric Barton's usefullness?

Postby Yoda » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:54 pm

He is one my late sleepers this year. I do not believe Cust is a full time player and DJ will, as usual, get injured.

I think he will hit close to .300 and 20 HRs. Just my opinion based on what I saw in him last year.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby MashinSpuds » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:56 am

Like Votto, I feel that Barton is a late round kind of guy that could get you at least 15 HR and a high average. He's not going to steal and he might have trouble getting some runs and rbis with that A's lineup, but for a solid Sean Casey-like CI or Util he'll probably be nice to have around to round out your lineup. I'm thinking 80/16/90/4/.290.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby stumpak » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:47 pm

SAKIC_19 wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on Daric Barton's prospects for this upcoming season?

He appears to have the inside track of starting at 1B and possible hitting in the 3 spot in their order ahead of Cust.

Appears that he would be worthy of a late draft flier, i.e Round 20-22, and I have seen him projected at .280, 15 HRs, 80 R, 65 RBI, 3 SB.

Any thoughts?

Your estimate is about right. Considering there is not much upside beyond this, that makes him quite unuseful in anything but an AL only league.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby MasterX1918 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:28 pm

I agree with the comparison to Sean Casey. I think he has alot of value in deeper leagues.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby MashinSpuds » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:43 pm

stumpak wrote:Your estimate is about right. Considering there is not much upside beyond this, that makes him quite unuseful in anything but an AL only league.

Well, that's what people said about Youkillis last year too, right? I wouldn't say he's useless in mixed leagues... far from it. If you're in a shallow league he might not be what you're looking for, but deep leagues, man, you can't pass those kind of stats up.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Postby High Heater » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:14 pm

MashinSpuds wrote:Like Votto, I feel that Barton is a late round kind of guy that could get you at least 15 HR and a high average. He's not going to steal and he might have trouble getting some runs and rbis with that A's lineup, but for a solid Sean Casey-like CI or Util he'll probably be nice to have around to round out your lineup. I'm thinking 80/16/90/4/.290.

Votto has more power and speed and should be viewed as a better prospect imo... he hits in a good hitters park in cincy as well ;-D

to me Barton reminds me alot of another conor jackson type.= a younger mark grace/sean casey 1B
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby MashinSpuds » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:30 pm

High Heater wrote:
MashinSpuds wrote:Like Votto, I feel that Barton is a late round kind of guy that could get you at least 15 HR and a high average. He's not going to steal and he might have trouble getting some runs and rbis with that A's lineup, but for a solid Sean Casey-like CI or Util he'll probably be nice to have around to round out your lineup. I'm thinking 80/16/90/4/.290.

Votto has more power and speed and should be viewed as a better prospect imo... he hits in a good hitters park in cincy as well ;-D

to me Barton reminds me alot of another conor jackson type.= a younger mark grace/sean casey 1B

Yeah, that's true about Votto, but so is what I said about "at least 15 HR" and "high average". Still a late round guy, especially given the Hatteberg situation.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Postby FalcoAtL » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:02 am

High Heater wrote:

I would tend to disagree with that. Votto is more a 5 hole type hitter, while Barton will probably hit in the 3 hole with the A's. Regardless of their park I think Barton has more upside and is a much better option for this year.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby hybrid » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:44 am

MashinSpuds wrote:
stumpak wrote:Your estimate is about right. Considering there is not much upside beyond this, that makes him quite unuseful in anything but an AL only league.

Well, that's what people said about Youkillis last year too, right? I wouldn't say he's useless in mixed leagues... far from it. If you're in a shallow league he might not be what you're looking for, but deep leagues, man, you can't pass those kind of stats up.

Youkillis played in a much better line up and park, where Barton lacks in both areas. Also 3B eligiblity helps out Youk quite a bit for being useful.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers