John Lackey Elbow troubles? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

John Lackey Elbow troubles?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

John Lackey Elbow troubles?

Postby kemper5 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:29 pm

Saw it on Rotoworld, I sure hope it's nothing, Anyone else heard this tonight?

John Lackey-S- Angels Feb. 29 - 7:44 pm et
John Lackey complained of a sore elbow Friday following his bullpen session Thursday.

Lackey said it wasn't much of a source of concern. Still, he's not expected to make a game appearance for several more days at least. It's definitely worth watching. If Lackey were to join Kelvim Escobar on the DL to start the year, the Angels would probably add Dustin Moseley to the rotation.
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Re: John Lackey Elbow troubles?

Postby redwings122 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:30 pm

Yeah, I just saw that. Here is a quote:

Feb 29 Mike DiGiovanna, of the Los Angeles Times, reports Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim SP John Lackey (elbow) has been slowed at spring training this week due to elbow soreness. He is not expected to make his Cactus League debut until late next week.

No sliders for a while :-S
Fantasy player since '99.

"That's what she said!"
redwings122
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ILLZ » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:48 pm

Via Rotoworld, March 1st:

Angels manager Mike Scioscia said he expected John Lackey to throw batting practice "early in the week" and perhaps be ready to start Wednesday.
Lackey admitted to a sore elbow on Friday, but both he and the Angels say it's of no concern.

I just traded Pujols straight up for Lackey in my 6-keeper league, so hopefully this is nothing. It sounds that way, but who really knows? We'll see what happens after he throws batting practice.
ILLZ
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby kemper5 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:38 am

John Lackey (elbow) didn't throw off a mound as expected Sunday, as the Angels made the decision to hold him back one more day.

"Butch and Sosh (Angels pitching coach Mike Butcher and manager Mike Scioscia) just wanted to push it back a day," Lackey said. "It’s getting better. It felt good in long toss today." It's still not a great sign. The decision means there's no longer any chance of him starting Wednesday's game. Any further delays will put his Opening Day assignment in jeopardy.

Source: Orange County Register

I hope we get better news on Lackey soon..
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:20 pm

From Yahoo(Via Rotowire)
Mar 3 Lackey (elbow) will throw a bullpen session on Monday morning and isn't likely to make his first start of the spring until Friday, the Angels' official website reports.
Recommendation: If all goes well, Lackey should throw in the bullpen on Monday, throw batting practice on Wednesday, and then start on Friday. The Angels may push Lackey to the back end of the rotation, costing him the start on Opening Day, in order to get him back to full strength, but don't expect Lackey to miss any starts once the regular season begins.

Never like reading about a pitcher's elbow but as of now it seems Lackey will still take his turn in the rotation;it just won't be opening day.It'll be either Game 4(Angels home opener on 4/4/08 vs Texas) or the second game in Anaheim's home stand.Will try to pass on any new info as I come across it.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RedHopeful » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:35 pm

ILLZ wrote:I just traded Pujols straight up for Lackey in my 6-keeper league, so hopefully this is nothing. It sounds that way, but who really knows? We'll see what happens after he throws batting practice.

Wow, that is selling too low on Pujols IMO. Especially in a keeper! :-o
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 85)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:37 pm

From Yahoo(Via KFFL)
Bill Plunkett, of The Orange County Register, reports Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim SP John Lackey (elbow) threw a 40-pitch bullpen session Monday, March 3. Lackey reported afterward that he felt no discomfort from the elbow soreness that plagued him earlier in camp. "Felt good. Everything's fine," Lackey said. "It felt better than it did the last [throwing session]. I should be fine. I don't foresee anything holding me back from here on."

:-°
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ILLZ » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:47 am

RedHopeful wrote:
ILLZ wrote:I just traded Pujols straight up for Lackey in my 6-keeper league, so hopefully this is nothing. It sounds that way, but who really knows? We'll see what happens after he throws batting practice.

Wow, that is selling too low on Pujols IMO. Especially in a keeper! :-o

Well, it is bold to say the least. Let me plead my case... I have the best team in the league, my keepers are Arod, Crawford, Carlos Lee, Bedard, Felix, and Lackey. So that's the best overall player in fantasy baseball, (2) top 10 OFer's, Bedard is top 5 SP, and Felix is probably 8-15ish. I have probably a 2 year window before Arod has to be traded to get value for him, so I don't think it's a good idea to run the risk of a keeper going down for a prolonged period of time this season. As for my pitching staff, Bedard has never pitched 200 IP and Felix is young, unpredictable, and to a certain extent an injury risk. I felt Lackey would sure up my rotation (pretty much write him in for 180 Ks, a sub 3.50 ERA, and 17 W's... well, before this elbow nonsense).

Thoughts?
ILLZ
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby DRAFTAHOLIC » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:18 am

Folks, it's spring training, this is where players who sat around all season watching football and hockey, are now warming up for April. You've got Delgado's hip, pujols' elbow, Soriano's finger & quad and Matsui's hemoroids all to consider. All problems will...burn away...hopefully by the time the season begins.

Draftaholic :-°
DRAFTAHOLIC
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Big Train » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:13 am

I recall reading a few weeks ago that he's a member of the "3500 pitches per year" club for 2 consecutive years. :-o Throw in his latest elbow issue and that's enough to make me think that I'll avoid him on draft day and let someone else take the risk.
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates