WHAT IS THE OFFICIAL MLB RULE?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

WHAT IS THE OFFICIAL MLB RULE??

WHAT IS THE OFFICIAL MLB RULE??

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:37 am

If an OF catches a ball and his momentum takes him and the ball over the fence in fair territory?? I would prefer a link and/or knowledge of the rule over an opinion. Thanks.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: WHAT IS THE OFFICIAL MLB RULE??

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:51 am

I'm pretty sure it is an out and because the fielder left the field the play is dead and the runners get to advance one base. I'll see if I can find the rule. ;-D
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:54 am

Rule 7.04(c) Comment: If a fielder, after having made a legal catch, should fall into a stand or
among spectators or into the dugout or any other out-of-play area while in possession of the ball after
making a legal catch, or fall while in the dugout after making a legal catch, the ball is dead and each
runner shall advance one base, without liability to be put out, from his last legally touched base at the
time the fielder fell into, or in, such out-of-play area.

If a fielder after making a catch steps into a bench, but does not fall, the ball is in
play and runners may advance at their own peril.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y2007/ ... runner.pdf
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:03 pm

Thanks. Maybe I didn't remember the rule because I don't quite get how runners can advance when the ball is deal.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby stevethumb » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:21 pm

Lofunzo wrote:Thanks. Maybe I didn't remember the rule because I don't quite get how runners can advance when the ball is deal.

there are many instances when bases are awarded when the ball is dead....ground rule double, interference, balk, HBP, fan interference, obstruction (although some cases of obstruction are a delayed dead ball)
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby redwings122 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:50 pm

I think Minute Maid Park should have its own rules since they have a freaking hill in center. Why not add a moat around it ;-D Ground rule triples for moat shots ;-D
Fantasy player since '99.

"That's what she said!"
redwings122
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby MaudDib » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:58 pm

redwings122 wrote:I think Minute Maid Park should have its own rules since they have a freaking hill in center. Why not add a moat around it ;-D Ground rule triples for moat shots ;-D

Maybe they should start growing trees in the OF as well. Give a kind of ping pong action to the game. :-D
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:27 pm

redwings122 wrote:I think Minute Maid Park should have its own rules since they have a freaking hill in center. Why not add a moat around it ;-D Ground rule triples for moat shots ;-D

The hill is dumb but the pole in center field outrageously stupid.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Field » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:21 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:

The hill is dumb but the pole in center field outrageously stupid.

I'd like to here some reasoning behind putting the hill in center, it's dumb-founding especially when CF is already 420+ FT deep. Besides the hill, I really like the park it's a nice place to watch a game. I like the name as well.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Return to Beginner's Forum