Anyone Have Lawr Micheals List? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Anyone Have Lawr Micheals List?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Anyone Have Lawr Micheals List?

Postby Fluidoz » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:55 pm

Lawr Micheals of Creative Sports puts out a top 250. And his is usually different from the usual suspects. He had Galardo at #27 last year when everyone else had him low or not at all. He's very good. Does anyone have his list?
Fluidoz
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Anyone Have Lawr Micheals List?

Postby Savoy Special » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:14 pm

I would say that any list that has Deolis Guerra at #1 is not a very strong list at all. I am not sure anybody in Boston would EVER say that Bowden is a better prospect than Buchholz. Jay Bruce not mentioned in top 10 at all? No Longoria? I would say I don't agree with this at all.

You have to buy his top 250, but here is his top 10.
http://www.creativesports.com/Staff/Bas ... r2008.aspx
To qualify, a player must have at least played at High A for either 200 at-bats, or 70 innings, and their rank on the list is predicated upon the highest level of play under which those margins were met.

So, with that in mind, here are the Top 10 CREATiVESPORTS prospects for 2008.

Deolis Guerra (P, 18, Mets): True his career mark over 178 innings and 39 starts is just 2-6, but this kid also has an ERA of 3.27, ratio of 1.21, and has earned 135 whiffs while allowing just 148 hits. Geurra's walks are a little high at 66 but this kid is just 18 and performing at High A. Just a matter of time.

Colby Rasmus (OF, 21, Cards): Hit .275-29-72 at Springfield last year at age 20, and the path is cleared for Rasmus to be the everyday center fielder at new Busch this year. He will struggle at times, but as he ages, less often than not.

Chris Tillman (P, 19, Mariners): Guys like Tillman do indeed represent the gambe factor, and well, when you review his primary totals--7-11, 4.91--and even look at his hits to innings (172 over 166.2) and then walks and ratio of 81 and 1.52, and there is no way you would touch him. But, at just 19 he has whiffed 184 batters and that means if he can simply learn and harness some control, no one will be able to hit him at all. In most leagues you should be able to grab Tillman as a throwaway last pick, and that should be well worth the investment.

Michael Bowden (P, 21, Red Sox): Moved up to AA Bowie last year and went 8-6, 4.28. But, again, he was just 20, and if you look at his minor league totals of 11-6, 3.23, 1.23, and then his totals innings (261.2), hits allowed (244) and total strikeouts (259) you simply have to see the potential.

Daric Barton (1B, 22, Athletics): Been in the Top 10 the last four years, and finally getting a chance to shine as the everyday first sacker in Oakland. Not a lot of power, but a lot of hits and runs generated, and his on-base totals are off the chart (.412 as a minor leaguer). Think Keith Hernandez totals at the dish: on the field, however, you are on your own.

Carlos Triunfel ( SS, 17, Mariners): .296-0-39 totals over 396 at-bats at three levels in 2007, but, he did all that at age 17. This kid is raw, as witnessed by the 12 CS to 7 successful swipes, but, the idea is to draft these guys before anyone notices them, correct?

William Inman (P, 20, Brewers): As noted, showing power and control at an early age is the key. Inman made his mark at AA last year, and his aggregate stats show 317.1 minor league innings, with just 231 hits allowed while earning 373 strikeouts. Those are just wicked numbers.

Homer Bailey (P, 21, Reds): Probably gone in your leagues, and clearly one of the best NL prospects. Bailey is penciled in as a member of the Reds starting five. His minor league totals of innings (330), hits allowed (266), and whiffs (356) pretty much make the case for all the pitchers on this list so far.

Joba Chamberlain (P, 22, Yankees): Best name in the majors? Well, answer yes, or answer no, but, Chamberlain has hurled 88.1 minor league innings, allowing 62 hits, while striking out 135. 135? scary. And, he is probably gone in your league. But, if not....

Fernando Martinez ( 18, Mets): At age 18, over 236 at-bats at AA Binghamton last year, Martinez hit .271-4-21, earning an OBP of .336. At 18, most kids are just finishing high school, and if they are drafted out of high school, maybe they are getting their feet wet in the rookie leagues. Martinez is already three levels above his contemporaries.

So, there you have them, in order even. And, yes, there are some familiar names, but a couple of surprises as well.
Savoy Special
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby stevethumb » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:22 am

geez, i don't know, he even has the wrong team for a coupla those players
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Steve-o » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:01 am

stevethumb wrote:geez, i don't know, he even has the wrong team for a coupla those players

Yeah, Inman hasn't been a brewer for 6 months... :-t
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:16 pm

lol...and he wants you to pay for the full list... :-b
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Koby Schellenger » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:05 pm

Fluidoz wrote:Lawr Micheals of Creative Sports puts out a top 250. And his is usually different from the usual suspects. He had Galardo at #27 last year when everyone else had him low or not at all. He's very good. Does anyone have his list?

Gallardo at 27 is a lower rating than anyone I know of put him last year. Moundtalk (me) had him at 10. Projectprospect had him at 17. BA had him 16. Baseball Prospectus had him at 14. John Sickels had him as the third best pitcher. So I really don't understand that comment about Creative Sports having him pegged better than others.
** http://www.moundtalk.com ** MLB June Mock Draft ongoing.
Koby Schellenger
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Minor League & College Baseball