Steve Pearce - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Steve Pearce

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Steve Pearce

Postby stumpak » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:05 pm

Does anyone have any insight on this guy? He has very strong minor league numbers (although he has always been old for his level) yet is always ommitted from or far down various prospect lists.

From what I have read he is expected to be a 1B at the MLB level thanks to poor OF defense. What is the long-term potential? Any chance this guy catches on to be a .300/25 guy at the MLB level or is he just another 1B/OF type with a decent bat who is worth nothing in fantasy since 1B is such a strong fantasy position?
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Steve Pearce

Postby jwhands » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:57 pm

He doesn't have much more upside left, since he is a fairly old for a prospect. Pearce definitely has shown the bat for the big leagues, but I am not sure on his further potential and longevity as a fantasy impact.
Jody, Jody Davis. Hits 'em high and far. Jody, Jody Davis. He's a superstar. Holy Cow!!!! http://www.stinkytee.com
jwhands
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:05 pm

does he have starting gig?
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby jwhands » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:16 pm

He's competing for one. Supposedly he has a position somewhere on Opening Day. It all depends on how he does this spring though.
Jody, Jody Davis. Hits 'em high and far. Jody, Jody Davis. He's a superstar. Holy Cow!!!! http://www.stinkytee.com
jwhands
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby cardinal1975 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:55 pm

He had a relatively low strikeout rate in the minors which would suggest he could maintain a .280-.300 average. He probably has at least 20hr potential. He will be a serviceable player at first or LF(if he can manage the OF). I would think his high is around 25-30hr(think closer to 25) with a solid average. Nothing special, but you could do a lot worse.
cardinal1975
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rookies and cream » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:41 pm

There's another Pearce thread with some additional insights about 25 posts down in this forum.

I really like Pearce, but I'm not sure how many AB's he'll get this year given PITT's crowded OF and 1B situation.

Deeray had some inside info that PIT would mostly play Pearce in RF. However, it looks like he played at 1B yesterday.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 43)

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:55 pm

Heads up for you guys. My buddy is real close with Pearce and talks to him pretty much everyday. Anyway, Pearce was told by his agent that it is between him and Nady in RF going into the season. They want to move Nady so he can play, but have not gotten any offers for him. If they can't move Nady and Pearce does not go off in ST, a la Hamilton last season, they will send him to AAA because they want to get him ABs and don't want him just riding the pine. if I hear anything more I will let ya know

LaRoche just signed that deal with the Pirates, so he will be there first baseman. The main thing Pearce has heard is that they want him playing everyday and if that is not happening in PIT he will go to AAA. His place will be in right in the future when he is called up, unless he gets moved. My buddy who is one of his best friends and played with him in the cape league and in high school told me that Pearce could really play anywhere. The guy played SS in college, but he can play 1B, 3B, LF, RF in the pros and be effective
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby rookies and cream » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:29 pm

HR for Pearce today. But another game at 1B. I really wonder what PIT has planned for him...
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:33 pm

rookies and cream wrote:HR for Pearce today. But another game at 1B. I really wonder what PIT has planned for him...

He played 1B today as well and went 1-4. I think this is a sign he will be in AAA when the season starts. LaRoche is going to be the 1B, and they want Pearce playing everyday, so that would lead me to believe he will be in AAA
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby rookies and cream » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:53 pm

Another HR for Pearce today ;-D
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball