Pujols: How Long is Too Long? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pujols: How Long is Too Long?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Pujols: How Long is Too Long?

Postby shasty mcnasty » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:43 am

A week ago, i took him at the 8th pick of the 1st round in a 10 teamer amongst friends. Had the chance to take Braun in the 2nd, and even though i believe in him for this year, i played it what i felt was safe and took Crawford. We have 2 Util spots, so it wasn't too hard to fill one of them with a 1B (Konerko), and I also grabbed Guillen as my SS intentionally because he could cover me at 1B in a pinch as well. In a 10 teamer, the risk is obviously less, since you have so many chances to cover yourself, both in the draft, and on the wire, once the season starts. Of course, it is H2H, not roto, so i think the risk there is actually greater, with the point being made previously about the playoffs...if he comes out mashing, i'll strongly consider selling high at some point.
Yahoo 10 team H2H league amongst friends
R H HR RBI SB BB AVG
C Carlos Ruiz
1B Pujols
2B Weeks
3B Aram
SS Guillen
OF Crawford/Pence/C.B. Young
Util Konerko/Thome
Bench Hamilton/Blalock

W SV HR K BB ERA WHIP
SP Beckett/Kazmir/Lincecum/Billingsly/Hughes
RP Soria/Joba/Broxton/Accardo
DL Carpenter
shasty mcnasty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: enjoying another beautiful day in southwest Michigan

Postby Yoda » Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:48 am

The Loveable Losers wrote:
Yoda wrote:^ agreed.

I would look to grab another 1B eligible bat preferably one that qualifies at another position.

I like Nick Swisher and Joey Votto for that role depending on where you want to pick the player up. ;-D

I'd also nominate Billy Butler. ;-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:04 am

Cardinals star Pujols confident he can dodge elbow surgery

When Paletta’s diagnosis became news last week, Pujols was shocked when friends called to ask if he was OK. He briefly wondered if the Cardinals were withholding information from him.

His conclusion: slow news day.

“I guess there weren’t enough highlights,” he said. “You know how it is, sometimes people when they want to make the story they do whatever they want.”

Albert Pujols is confident he can make it through another season, and maybe even the rest of his career, without needing reconstructive surgery on the elbow that’s hampered him off and on since 2003.

The St. Louis Cardinals will do their part to keep their star in the lineup with plenty of rest. They’re easing him into the season, too. Pujols played in his 10th spring game on Wednesday, with five games off.

“I can go the year and I don’t have to be concerned about it because I took enough rest,” Pujols said. “The last couple of years I haven’t taken enough rest.

“It’s just something I need to play by ear, and so far it feels good.”
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Broncmet724 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:35 pm

I grabbed him late in a 12 team redraft league, 11th pick. I was worried honestly, so I turned around and traded him for Cole Hamels and Derrek Lee. I hope he stays healthy for the guy for the year, but I'd rather let him worry about him.
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jfg » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:18 pm

I think you sold too low and should have the taken the chance with Pujols. What is that like a 4th and 5th round pick, maybe two 4ths? I still think you can get more for Pujols even in a redraft and if you can't you should just take the chance and hope for a normal Pujols season. I'm not saying it's terrible, nor am I trying to analyze the trade.... I just think people are selling too low on Pujols. What do you normally get if you just trade a first round pick straight up? More than two 4ths?
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

Postby moflo19 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:45 pm

I'm in a 10 team h2h league and I had the 5th pick...I snagged Pujols with my 2nd round pick. If he stays healthy, I have a nice 1-2 punch with David Wright and Pujols, don't ya think...... ;-D
moflo19
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:46 pm

moflo19 wrote:I'm in a 10 team h2h league and I had the 5th pick...I snagged Pujols with my 2nd round pick. If he stays healthy, I have a nice 1-2 punch with David Wright and Pujols, don't ya think...... ;-D

lol @ pujols falling to 16th overall, thats ridiculous
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby crimson knuckles » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:50 pm

I had the last pck in my draft...so back to back picks. I took Howard and then Pujols.
crimson knuckles
College Coach
College Coach

Postby shasty mcnasty » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:46 am

crimson knuckles wrote:I had the last pck in my draft...so back to back picks. I took Howard and then Pujols.

yeah, this was my quandry...i had the 8th pick, and i knew the guy with the 9th wouldn't take pujols with either his first or second, but the guy on the turn was autopicking, and i figured he wouldn't end up with either fielder/howard and Pujols unless he had dropped pujols in his preranks pretty far...it just seems like these guys that are getting Wright/Pujols, or even Howard or Fielder/Pujols are just going to be almost too far ahead of the curve if Pujols does have a normal year, that i couldn't take that chance.
shasty mcnasty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Location: enjoying another beautiful day in southwest Michigan

Postby silverZ » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:33 am

I'm not gonna touch him with the 8th pick of my 16 team roto draft. I'd rather have Holliday, MCab, Utley, Howard, Prince, or one of the big SS. Now if somehow he made it back to me in the 2nd round I wouldn't hesitate. But thats just not gonna happen.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers