Pujols: How Long is Too Long? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pujols: How Long is Too Long?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Pujols: How Long is Too Long?

Postby Yoda » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:43 pm

Ender wrote:Unfortunately I just got the 10th pick in my money draft so now I'm going to have to actually decide if I want him or not if he happens to fall. Was really hoping to get a pick where the decision was taken out of my hands.

Come on Ender, you've been cheer leading all the doubters all off season and now you are not so sure? :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:53 pm

Yoda wrote:
Ender wrote:Unfortunately I just got the 10th pick in my money draft so now I'm going to have to actually decide if I want him or not if he happens to fall. Was really hoping to get a pick where the decision was taken out of my hands.

Come on Ender, you've been cheer leading all the doubters all off season and now you are not so sure? :-D

Go back and read my posts, I said he shouldn't be taken before Ryan Howard and I said he is a #9 pick at earliest. If Howard goes #9 I have Pujols sitting squarely at #10 on my sheet, right where my pick is. I'm not the guy who has been saying he should go in the 2nd round, that is someone else.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:19 pm

Ender wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Go back and read my posts, I said he shouldn't be taken before Ryan Howard and I said he is a #9 pick at earliest. If Howard goes #9 I have Pujols sitting squarely at #10 on my sheet, right where my pick is. I'm not the guy who has been saying he should go in the 2nd round, that is someone else.

bah i've never seen the first round go the way i have on my rankings. chances are you'll have some higher ranked player available or someone will have already picked pujols.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Armyclone » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:40 pm

In my 10 team redraft league, I was pleasantly surprised to be able to select him at 2.7. Just figured that he wouldn't be there before then. ;-D
Armyclone
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby kaiser » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:18 pm

Nothing like a little self-doubt to shake up your draft strategy, eh boys?
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 307)

Postby cards05 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:33 pm

If you get him at 10, congrats. That's quite a steal.
cards05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rainman23 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:47 pm

I'm still on the fence here, and I'm sympathetic to those who say "you need someone you can count on" in the 1rst round. It's tough to survive a first round bust. But this is not just another top player. This is THE top fantasy player of this decade. (Ok, you can make an argument for Arod -- but two of the last three years there were plenty of people claiming he was trash at draft time.) If you can get "ALBERT PUJOLS!!!" with the 10th, 11th pick -- you damned well better be thinking hard about it. Because if he approaches his normal year, and you passed on him, you're gonna be kicking yourself all season. And don't forget that his "normal" standard was set in plenty of years when he was messed up physically.

Nah, I'm not on the fence. If I'm drafting in the latter half of the 1rst round, and Pujols is still on the board, he's mine. And, yeah, I'll be looking for another good 1rst basemen later on to plug into my Utility hole...just in case.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ender » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:24 pm

cards05 wrote:If you get him at 10, congrats. That's quite a steal.

I don't share your confidence~ It is a wince and take him because the odds of a good value are too high not to. But in the back of my head I know doing it might be flushing my entry fee right down the toilet.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby octagon999 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:27 am

cards05 wrote:If you get him at 10, congrats. That's quite a steal.

That's where I got him today in a 10 team redraft, and followed up at pick 11 with Howard, so I think I'll be ok. After reading this thread, I'm even happier I stashed an extra 1B on my bench.

I'm not going to start breathing easy tho until the season starts and he produces like I hope. Both mocks in the cafe had him going 2nd, so I was surprised that there was controversy over picking him at 10.
octagon999
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby socceryank » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:42 am

I'd be more willing to grab him in a Roto league than H2H. At least in roto, he may pad your stats a little for the stretch run if he should go down, but in H2H it would be quite a loss during playoffs or while jockeying for playoff positioning.
C M. Montero
1B AGonz
2B Uggla
3B Zimmermann
SS Jeter
OF J Upton, McCutcheon, Choo
Util Kendrys Morales
BN Pena
DL Gardner
SP Gallardo, Bumgarner, Latos, Zimmermann, Luebke, Jaime Garcia, Hughes, Burnett
RP League, Marshall, Betancourt
socceryank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers