Pujols: How Long is Too Long? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pujols: How Long is Too Long?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pujols: How Long is Too Long?

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:03 pm

Obviously many of us are very concerned about Albert's injury. That said, when would you take him? Does there come a point when you HAVE to take him, and what is that point? 8th pick? 10th? 12th? Later?

I'm struggling to find where Pujols fits into my rankings. I would rather not take him and not have to worry all year. But, if I'm sitting at the back end of my draft and he's on the board, what do I do? :-° :-?

What is the earliest pick that you'd take Pujols at?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pujols: How Long is Too Long?

Postby Bloody Sox » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:18 pm

Oh man - tell me about it. He is the classic case of a guy you hope and pray goes where he "should" so you don't have to take him. Every player is a big enough injury risk as it is, so I absolutely HATE taking guys with any known issues. I pick at #12 and #13 (with Hanley and Howard being kept, so effectively #14 and #15) and if he falls to me (which I doubt), I'd be very much on the fence about taking him, though I don't know if I'd have the nerve not to.

In a redraft, I can definitely say I wouldn't take him in the Top 10 - I think I'd grab him just after Howard and somewhere in the mix with Prince, Ortiz, Crawford, and Braun.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Pokey » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:18 pm

I took him when he fell to 7th and felt good about it. Then a little worse about. Now that a few days have passed, I'm pretty worried about it. Learn from my experience. I would still take him if he's available in the 2nd round, but there are surer bets to be had in the first round.
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ender » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:23 pm

I wouldn't take him over Howard at this point, because I think Howard has just as much upside without as much risk. You have to keep in mind that Pujols upside isn't as high as it was two years ago even if he stays healthy all year. They already stated he would rest more than normal so his stats are going to go down slightly accross the board. He isn't going to steal bases on a regular basis, there just is no reason for him to do it. He has a weak lineup around him which chips away at the R/RBI.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:34 pm

Just to clarify, I was generally talking about a redraft league.

One of my main leagues is a 10-teamer. I'm just worried about sitting at the 9th or 10th pick and having to plan out my back-to-back picks. You've got a whole slew of guys who could warrant being taking from say, mid-1st round to mid-2nd. I am having one hell of a time trying to determine where Pujols would fit into a group like this...

Utley
Cabrera
Howard
Rollins
Fielder
Ortiz
Santana
Braun
Guerrero
Crawford
Soriano
Beltran
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Pokey » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:38 pm

Personally I'd take him after Howard, Utley, Cabrera, and maybe Fielder. I could even understand taking Santana over him, though I wouldn't.
Pokey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:49 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Just to clarify, I was generally talking about a redraft league.

One of my main leagues is a 10-teamer. I'm just worried about sitting at the 9th or 10th pick and having to plan out my back-to-back picks. You've got a whole slew of guys who could warrant being taking from say, mid-1st round to mid-2nd. I am having one hell of a time trying to determine where Pujols would fit into a group like this...

Utley
Cabrera
Howard
Rollins
Fielder
Ortiz
Santana
Braun
Guerrero
Crawford
Soriano
Beltran

On your list here I think he slide in between Braun and Guerrero for me, I guess that is early 2nd round.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KronJon » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:03 pm

I'd take him in the 10-12 range.
KronJon
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:09 pm

I think Pujols is still a great top 10 pick. 1B is probably the easiest position to replace and while you won't get a Pujols type caliber, you should be able to grab a capable 1B late in the draft or on waivers.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:18 pm

First pick, second round. Your first-round pick should be, first and foremost, reliable. Pujols is not that this year.

And for you keeper leaguers out there, he could miss substantial time next year if he opts for surgery mid-season.

Keep that in mind when you consider spending a first-round pick on him.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers