100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Article Discussions

2008 Positional Rankings

Moderators: daullaz, Baseball Moderators

Re: 2008 Positional Rankings

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:06 am

AllDay wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
AllDay wrote:Pena ahead of Lyon? Not sure I'd put a set-up man ahead of the closer. Nine of the alleged 'experts' did this.

first off....no one called these guys "experts". these are just cafe members, just like you, i, and the other 50,000 or however many.

secondly, these were compiled about 3 weeks ago, before the announcement of the closer's job.

thirdly, that being said, many people still feel pena will eventually win the job from lyon, since he is the closer of the future.

Ah, I see. They are already outdated the day they are posted, and at least one evaluator admits to doing it half-assed.

Yeah, these rankings will be gold.

And who the hell might you be?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:35 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:And who the hell might you be?

I think he's the expert. At least, that's the impression I'm getting.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:50 am

Grounded Polo wrote:Would any of your ranks besides Pujols change much now compared to 3 weeks ago, such as the news of Kaz getting an MRI on his elbow and Salty going to Triple A if he doesn't win the starting catcher job?

Those all have changed my rankings.

Pujols is down in my rankings and in fact I stayed away from him in every draft I have been in.

Kaz doesn't change in my mind because he will be fine and he is very adamant he will be ready to pitch opening day. The Rays may hold him a couple starts, but if Scotty has his way he will be the opening day starter.

Saltys situation def changes my ranking on him and ticks me off in one of my leagues. It was assumed he would be the starter or play DH/1B if he was not catching so it made sense to put him where he is. The mere fact that he could start in AAA knocks him down the rankings a decent amount IMO and I had him pretty high :-P
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:50 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:And who the hell might you be?

I think he's the expert. At least, that's the impression I'm getting.

then why wasn't he in the "expert rankings" :-B :-b ;-)
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)

Postby KronJon » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:13 pm

How do you get included in these rankings? I'd like to take part next year if possible. I've been extremely successful in fantasy BB for many years and really take pride in how well my predictions pan out each year.
KronJon
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:57 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:Would any of your ranks besides Pujols change much now compared to 3 weeks ago, such as the news of Kaz getting an MRI on his elbow and Salty going to Triple A if he doesn't win the starting catcher job?

I had gotten Pujols 11th overall in the first and last mock draft I participated in. I would have Pujols in 3rd behind Howard and Fielder, but it's hard to swallow on banking on him with a first-round pick unless you're a the 10th/11th/12th spot, I think, seeing how you can compensate in the 2nd with a player of 1st round quality.

Not too concerned about Kazmir myself and for me, he's still a top 10 pitcher in my rankings. As long as there's no structural damage to that elbow, I wouldn't be too worried. Of course, my thoughts on him could change in a couple of weeks if he admits he's pitching through some pain in his elbow.

As for Salty, I ranked him ahead of Posada at the time, believing Posada would regress a bit (he should) and Salty's stats at Posada's line with a little more ceiling to boot. I'd have him down on my rankings as a target.

Like I said, I spent 1-2 hours on rankings, but that doesn't mean I did it "half-assed". Most times, I have a mental picture of where players are valued and ranked, but usually, I don't put pen to paper on it since the rankings are never immutable especially when you take into account recent events affecting a player's value.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:48 pm

KronJon wrote:How do you get included in these rankings? I'd like to take part next year if possible. I've been extremely successful in fantasy BB for many years and really take pride in how well my predictions pan out each year.

someone gathers them (i did it this year) and i invited some recognizable names from the cafe and guys who i know will be around at the end of the year to talk about them again. also, i invited guys who i know have a good sense of things, not "experts" or guys i thought were the smartest (hey i invited ORS! :-b ), but tried to get a well-rounded group. i also picked guys that i know would be around often for any questions and issues that would arise and that would be pleasant to work with. next year, a new guy will most likely compile the rankings (be forewarned that it takes more time than you think!) and maybe they'll invite you, or maybe you compile them.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:50 pm

AllDay wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
AllDay wrote:Pena ahead of Lyon? Not sure I'd put a set-up man ahead of the closer. Nine of the alleged 'experts' did this.

first off....no one called these guys "experts". these are just cafe members, just like you, i, and the other 50,000 or however many.

secondly, these were compiled about 3 weeks ago, before the announcement of the closer's job.

thirdly, that being said, many people still feel pena will eventually win the job from lyon, since he is the closer of the future.

Ah, I see. They are already outdated the day they are posted, and at least one evaluator admits to doing it half-assed.

Yeah, these rankings will be gold.

in my opinion, the rankings will be outdated the day after they are published (except in football, you know the sport with the least amount of strategy and statistical analysis possible). things change so often in baseball, especially this early in the season, but its necessary to get them out to at least give people a reference when it comes to draft day.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby KronJon » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:08 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
KronJon wrote:How do you get included in these rankings? I'd like to take part next year if possible. I've been extremely successful in fantasy BB for many years and really take pride in how well my predictions pan out each year.

someone gathers them (i did it this year) and i invited some recognizable names from the cafe and guys who i know will be around at the end of the year to talk about them again. also, i invited guys who i know have a good sense of things, not "experts" or guys i thought were the smartest (hey i invited ORS! :-b ), but tried to get a well-rounded group. i also picked guys that i know would be around often for any questions and issues that would arise and that would be pleasant to work with. next year, a new guy will most likely compile the rankings (be forewarned that it takes more time than you think!) and maybe they'll invite you, or maybe you compile them.

I see. As for how much time it takes, I definitely know how that goes. I'm a big Mixed Martial Arts fan, and I am in charge of compiling the rankings on another forum very similar to this. I have to average out the rankings of about 30 users at 6 different weightclasses, so it is very time consuming. But it is also rewarding in the end so it is well worth it. I'm real big on statistical analysis, and over-analyzing just about anything, so I really enjoy this type of thing.
KronJon
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Whisp » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:36 pm

despite a couple of crazy rankings, caden was still the best ranker of the bunch.
C-MMontero/Iannetta 1B-Hosmer 2B-Kendrick 3B-MiCabrera/Rolen SS-Rollins
CI-IDavis MI-RRoberts OF-Bruce/Crisp/Hunter/Cain/Rios
SP-Sabathia/ClLee/Wainwright/Pineda/Hellickson/JSantana
RP-Putz/Santiago/Rodney/Lidge/Clippard
Whisp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Article Discussions