Underrated Prospects? Anybody have some? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Underrated Prospects? Anybody have some?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Underrated Prospects? Anybody have some?

Postby jonance » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:57 pm

Hi All

I'm in a 12 team H2H 6x6 (OPS/HLD) Dynasty and we are conducting an 8 round MiLB draft for players with less than 130 ab's and 50 ip. I have a few guys i'm targeting for the first few rounds but after that my familiarity and knowledge of the players goes downhill. Do any of you have some suggestions of guys to target in rounds 4-8 or so? Guys that may be top 20 prospects by next year but aren't as highly regarded right now? I'd really appreciate any help. ;-D

Thanks
John
jonance
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: 35)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Underrated Prospects? Anybody have some?

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:04 pm

I don't know about Rounds 4-8 guys who can move into the top 20 next year but from BA's 2008 Top 100, Lars Anderson (40), Ross Detwiler (51) Fautino de los Santos (60), Taylor Teagarden (80), Jordan Walden (81), Beau Mills (87), and Matt Latos (NR) are all pretty promising talents that likely aren't on any top 25 list yet but have the potential to be there for next season.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby bigken117 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:54 pm

i will pimp Ryan Kalish till I'm blue in the face...both BP and BA think he has a chance to be a star, he was one of the best players in the NY Penn league till he broke his hand...

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby rookies and cream » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:05 am

I still think Steve Pearce is highly underrated. At least according to all the prospect lists. Dude is minor league player of the year according to BA and rarely cracks the top 50.
rookies and cream
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 45)

Postby thomasps3 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:54 am

Here's 10 I would call underrated:
Aaron Poreda(Power starter reliever, think Billy Wagner except he's 6'6 and 240 lbs.)
Jed Lowrie - Will be a doubles machine in Fenway as soon as Lugo gets cold or traded
Joe Benson - Minny OFer, rough around the edges, but has really elite tools and projects to be 20/20 type guy
Wade Davis - Yea, another TB pitcher, flies under radar of Price, McGee, Brignac, et al
Chase Headley - SD is trying to fit him in their OF his bat is so good
Daniel Cortes - KC Pitcher, added 5 MPH to his already 90mph fb, now sits regularly at 94-96
Carlos Truinfel - SS in Seattle, has upside equal to Andrus, but may have to move off the position
Dexter Fowler - Speed burner in Colorado. Will be good for 35 SBs per annum, ready no later than September
Hank Conger - C for La Angels, may end up moving off the dish, but his bat is good enough to cover him at 1b
Chris Perez - The next closer in waiting for St.L once Izzy is gone, think no later than '09
thomasps3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Location: Giving BIG UPS to Teddy BallGame for the AWESOME SIG

Postby jonance » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:08 am

Thanks for all the posts so far...i'm doing some additional research on those guys and several more...i'd like to keep this post going as it may be helpful to others as well (as long as they aren't in my league :-o )
jonance
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
(Past Year: 35)

Postby ReeferDave » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:42 am

Under-rated? Just try looking at some Colorado pitching prospects. Things are changing for the Rockies pitchers. And those who realize that can capitalize.

Not in any order:

Greg Reynolds
Franklin Morales
Casey Weathers
Pedro Strop
ReeferDave
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:59 am

Daniel Dorn. Most lists I've seen don't have him on the top 10 Reds prospects but the guy can mash.
http://minors.baseball-reference.com/pl ... ?pid=31767
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Return to Minor League & College Baseball