Which draft pick is the best to have? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which draft pick is the best to have?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Which draft pick is the best to have?

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:34 am

Honestly, I don't think any pick is bad. I've seen people with the 1st pick screw up a draft horribly. I've also been put in a position with a "poor" draft pick, or one that's perceived to be poor, and come away with a team I really like. It depends on how you draft, not where you draft. That said, all things equal, I'd probably prefer to draft in the top 4 this year, or at the back end. I think that there's a slew of guys who can go in the middle picks, and sometimes it's just hard to choose.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:03 am

socceryank wrote:
daniel80111 wrote:Who is worth targetting at pick #4 in a 12 team league?? Or do you just let Wright, Reyes, and Hanley to fall to you?? Would you consider taking Holliday at #4?? Opinions appreciated. Thanks!!

I would absolutely take Holliday at 4; I like him better than Reyes there.

FWIW, I was able to get Holliday at 11 last night in my money league. Couldn't believe it...I then took Ortiz with my 2nd round pick. ;-D
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby MTUCache » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:42 am

rotoquest wrote:I have read every post in this thread and I still cannot get a fix on where the best place is to draft. So let's keep it simple. If you have any number slot as a choice in a 12 team league to draft, what are your 1st & 2nd preferences that you would choose?

My #1 preference for a pick would be pick #7. Second choice would be pick #2.

For my drafting style, I seem to be putting together much better teams (balance and numbers) when I get a top-tier 3B in the first round, then 1B and #1OF in the second and third (either order).

So, with that in mind, I like having #7 as I'm virtually guaranteed MCab at that slot, as well as a higher pick in round 2 (where I feel there is a large dropoff after pick 18-20). If MCab is taken by someone higher than that, I'm going to get great value on whoever does drop to me.

Otherwise, I like pick #2, because I'm taking Wright at that spot, who I'm pretty high on this year.

After that I like #1, and 8+.

My least favorite picks would be #3-#5... I hate the thought of taking Reyes or Hanley this year, and I feel that it would be too early to take MCab there if Wright is already gone, so I'd be praying that Wright fell to me there.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:50 am

I think I am in the minority here, but I prefer the 5 - 7 picks, this season at least.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Postby ataraxia » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:28 pm

I'm with bigh0rt, although I would say that I prefer the 4-7 picks.
Absolute thanks to soty for the sig.
ataraxia
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers