Which draft pick is the best to have? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Which draft pick is the best to have?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Which draft pick is the best to have?

Postby Athrun340 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:58 pm

11!! imo
^^Ty Smoovethug^^
Athrun340
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rotoquest » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:09 pm

I have read every post in this thread and I still cannot get a fix on where the best place is to draft. So let's keep it simple. If you have any number slot as a choice in a 12 team league to draft, what are your 1st & 2nd preferences that you would choose?
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 194)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:21 pm

Best/Favorite
#1 Spot. A-Rod is the best start to have, and there is a decent fall-off after him. This makes #1 more valuable than #2 or #3, because on the way back there may not be a big difference between the 2.10, 2.11, 2.12 picks. Players in round two get mixed around all the time. My point is this: You could just as easily end up with 1.1 A-Rod and 2.12 M. Teixeira as you could end up with 1.2 Hanley Ramirez and 2.11 M. Teixeira. Big difference value-wise!

#10 Spot. Still in range of the big 1B's Howard/Fielder, and you could grab Braun or the like on the way back! Big power spot.
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby abrage22 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:49 am

OneLoveBoomer wrote:Best/Favorite
#1 Spot. A-Rod is the best start to have, and there is a decent fall-off after him. This makes #1 more valuable than #2 or #3, because on the way back there may not be a big difference between the 2.10, 2.11, 2.12 picks. Players in round two get mixed around all the time. My point is this: You could just as easily end up with 1.1 A-Rod and 2.12 M. Teixeira as you could end up with 1.2 Hanley Ramirez and 2.11 M. Teixeira. Big difference value-wise!

#10 Spot. Still in range of the big 1B's Howard/Fielder, and you could grab Braun or the like on the way back! Big power spot.

Good point boomer. thats like exactly why i hate my dumb 2nd pick :-C
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BJSFAN123 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:10 am

Pick #1 is amazing if you can get A-Rod and then get Teixeira in the 2nd around (I think Teix is going to put up early 2nd round numbers)

I don't like pick #12 in a 12 team league.......

I had pick #12 and traded it for pick #6

I like pick 5-10 because you are guaranteed a Cabrera,Holliday,Pujols,Utley, or Howard pretty much ;-D
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Zhangman1 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:21 am

4-7 give you the best value this year w/ HRam, Wright, Reyes falling to you, then Holliday, Utley, Cabrera after that.

Obviously #1 is the best, that or the last spot. Having the snake lets you dictate your draft. You have to reach sometimes but you get to set you team the way you want.
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby rotoquest » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:53 am

OneLoveBoomer wrote:Best/Favorite

Thanks boomer, this was an excellent response.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 194)

Postby jetlag » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:35 am

without a doubt the best spot will be the one just before or just after you. :-)

I like picking in the middle.
jetlag
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The River » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:11 pm

Like a decent amount of posters in this thread have argued, Pick 1 is easily the best. Your first three to four rounds are virtually unscrewable especially the first two rounds (Arod and PlayerToBeNamed, most likely a Tex, Soriano, Crawford, Vlad). Historically for me, Pick 4 has been a good pick in 10 teamers and Pick 11 in 12 teamers. I still love Pick 1 though.
The River
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:27 pm

we should compile avg finish from each draft spot from the users here and see which draft pick yields the best finishes.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers