Eric Byrnes? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Eric Byrnes?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Eric Byrnes?

Postby SheltonIsMyHomeboy » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:45 pm

I have a hard time believing he's going to replicate last year's numbers. Should I deal him now while people still think he's a viable 2nd or 3rd round pick, or hold on to him and hope for the best?
SheltonIsMyHomeboy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Eric Byrnes?

Postby Chicago 2 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:19 pm

I have a hard time believing it too, thats why I didn't draft him :-b

I guess its hard to say, even in the year prior to 2007 he put up some okay numbers so I could very well see him having another good year, bit too risky for me to draft him though unless he shows hes hitting just as good in the spring.

If you have enough steals elsewhere where that if you were to trade him it wouldn't hurt you in the steals department I would trade him. You said it yourself, you don't seem to trust him and if thats the case see what you can get, off the top of my head you should be able to trade him for Bobby Abreu, that sounds fairly reasonable.
Chicago 2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby DRAFTAHOLIC » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:09 pm

Eric Byrnes is no longer in a contract year. Now what the heck is that supposed to mean? Why is it that contract years seem to motivate baseball players? Shouldn't they bust their backsides all the time? Well, Eric Byrnes might not steal 50 again because he no longer has that sort of motivation but, he should steal at least 30. So it is up to you. If you believe that 30 SB's are needed on your team then keep him and enjoy. However, if you really do not want those 30 SB's then why not try and trade him away from someone who is, on average, being taken a few rounds later....go for Chris Young (AZ). Chris will give you 25 SB's and 28 HR's. The only downside is his average.

Draftaholic
DRAFTAHOLIC
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:08 am

well, he signed the new contract sometime after the AS break last season, and while his average dropped quite a bit (.300 avg was unsustainable for him), he tried to offset him returning to "normal" by stealing like a madman. i don't know why he started stealing like crazy, but pre-ASB he had 17 SBs in 90 games, but 33 SBs in 70 games post-ASB. and he did most of his stealing batting 3rd.

we know he is not a .300 hitter, as he hit .258 post ASB after hitting .306 pre ASB. of course his value is the SBs, but i don't see him stealing 50 bases again. at best, in the 30-40 range but like i said don't forget he did a lot of his stealing after singing the new contract so it would be wrong to assume he stole those bases for a fat contract. his 20 HR power is pretty much real.

.278, 21hr, 35sb would be my optimistic projection, .274, 18hr, 30sb would be my safe projection. if you can get someone good in return, i would trade byrnes. imo, right now byrnes is at his highest possible value with a career year under his belt, no way he repeats his 07 numbers. sell high to a manager who will be impressed by those numbers; 20/50. 20/50 is something you expect from carl crawford, a first rounder.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby SheltonIsMyHomeboy » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:30 pm

Well, I traded him for Shane Victorino and Rich Harden. I have high hopes for Harden this year...and Byrnes would've been my Util, not even a starting OF, so I feel like it was a good trade for me.
SheltonIsMyHomeboy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby rib217 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:50 pm

Keep Eric Byrnes until All-Star break. He consistently rakes for the first several months and then proceeds to suck in the second half.
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby DRAFTAHOLIC » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:30 pm

Keep Eric Byrnes until All-Star break. He consistently rakes for the first several months and then proceeds to suck in the second half.

Not true! You cannot use the word consistently when he did not bottom out in the second half in 2007. He was known for that prior to the 2007 season.

Draftaholic
DRAFTAHOLIC
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rib217 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:37 pm

DRAFTAHOLIC wrote:

Not true! You cannot use the word consistently when he did not bottom out in the second half in 2007. He was known for that prior to the 2007 season.

Draftaholic

I guess that depends on what you consider to be bottoming out.

2007 splits: pre then post all star break
R 53-50
H 110-69
Hr 14-7
RBI 49-34
SB 17-33
Avg .306-.258
Obp .363-.340

Excluding stolen bases id say there is a pretty good drop from the first half to the second so, Yes! keep him the first have because he does consistely drop off in the second half.
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby KronJon » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:31 pm

rib217 wrote:
DRAFTAHOLIC wrote:

Draftaholic

R 53-50
H 110-69
Hr 14-7
RBI 49-34
SB 17-33
Avg .306-.258
Obp .363-.340

Excluding stolen bases id say there is a pretty good drop from the first half to the second so, Yes! keep him the first have because he does consistely drop off in the second half.

Wow, 33 SB's after the AS-Break. That definitely makes up for the difference in the other categories (fantasy-wise).
KronJon
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:08 pm

rib217 wrote:
DRAFTAHOLIC wrote:

Draftaholic

R 53-50
H 110-69
Hr 14-7
RBI 49-34
SB 17-33
Avg .306-.258
Obp .363-.340

are you factoring in the fact that he has about 100 less ABs post ASB? yes, the AVG is unsustainable from first half, and the power was a bit flukey but i'd still give him credit for putting up decent stats despite signing that during the season.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates