Help me understand my new league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Help me understand my new league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Help me understand my new league

Postby Grouperman941 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:02 pm

This is a daily head to head, where it looks like every day is a 'game.' Each team had a total of 176 games last year.

4x4 -- Categories will be AVG, HR, RBI, SB; K, ERA, W, S

Standard Yahoo positions (3 OF) plus 1 U (9 hitters), SP/SP/P/P/P/RP/RP
5 bench slots

It is supposed to be a 20 team league, but half are not signed up yet. Money league.

I am trying to figure out how to adjust my player valuations. I am thinking relievers will be huge, but I can't figure out if saves will be more or less valuable. I have the same issue with SBs. Does probably getting less than one steal or save per 'game' make them scarce and valuable or a cat to leave up to chance with a well-rounded team? Ws are similar, but I think MRs and SPs on good teams gain some value and that is about all I can do there.

I figure the offense is basically drafting 3/4 (in their lineup) hitters with good averages, and a couple high average hitters who steal some. As many multi-cat players as possible.

Most SB players also get Rs, so these guys are further discounted from normal scoring, right?

I assume high K pitchers will be key, but are Santana and Peavy very early picks or less valuable because I can make up Ks with a good corps of relievers?

I am looking at the league last year, and the winner had Santana and Peavy and a few hitting studs. The second place team (final) drafted Mariano and Pettite in the first round bookend pick. Not sure how they could recover from that and make the playoffs! The second place regular season team had ARod in the first but Dice-K and Zambrano in the 2nd and third. Teams averaged about a move or 2 per week, so these wierd draft picks stayed with the teams.

I have been playing roto since the days of newspaper and VisiCalc, so I am programmed to look at a team over a whole season. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the H2H concept. It seems unpredictable.

Thanks for any help! ;-D
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Help me understand my new league

Postby milkshake » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:38 pm

It seems very unpredictable but very fun at the same time. I would figure you want to get guys you know will give you steals and saves for sure. I would look for your steals guys to give you some decent AVG. You can get your HR and RBI from power guys ERA and Wins will be important. If you spend picks on really good RP you can keep your ERA down. Wins could go either way each weak very unpredictable unless you grab a few aces.

I would look to draft someone like Reyes, Rollins, or Hanley in that order maybe even Rollins above Reyes because he can give you more bop for your buck. Then In the second round I would grab a stud power bat. Then I would get to either RP or SP depending on where your pick is maybe two of each to put a strong hold on that position. Putz and Papelbon or something like that. I think a good first four rounds would be Rollins, Holliday, Putz, Papelbon. You could even go Rollins, Holliday, Putz, Ichiro giving you a great start on AVG SB HR and S.

How much does it cost to play in your league?
milkshake
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Grouperman941 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:48 pm

milkshake wrote:It seems very unpredictable but very fun at the same time. I would figure you want to get guys you know will give you steals and saves for sure. I would look for your steals guys to give you some decent AVG. You can get your HR and RBI from power guys ERA and Wins will be important. If you spend picks on really good RP you can keep your ERA down. Wins could go either way each weak very unpredictable unless you grab a few aces.

I would look to draft someone like Reyes, Rollins, or Hanley in that order maybe even Rollins above Reyes because he can give you more bop for your buck. Then In the second round I would grab a stud power bat. Then I would get to either RP or SP depending on where your pick is maybe two of each to put a strong hold on that position. Putz and Papelbon or something like that. I think a good first four rounds would be Rollins, Holliday, Putz, Papelbon. You could even go Rollins, Holliday, Putz, Ichiro giving you a great start on AVG SB HR and S.

So you are thinking steals and saves are more important than in 5x5. A lot of the teams in this league drafted like that last year. Aces and closers went fast, and a lot of sluggers went late. Why not capitalize on that and go for the opposite -- draft HRs and RBIs early and build a staff from who's left? Maybe also get trade bait for those guys who wasted picks on too many closers or SPs. (See my next post.)

The league is $100. Not exactly big money. I am not the commish, and he sent out 20+ invites.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Sim draft

Postby Grouperman941 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:00 pm

I got a hold of the league's draft from last year and dug up my rankings sheet from last year. I generated a random number (6) and put my picks in place of his. I did not adjust my rankings for the lack of R and WHIP. I drafted right from the rankings, unless a position was full, then sometimes I moved to the next highest ranked at another position. I have a monster offense and solid closers, but SP is questionable. This is also not the order I would have gotten them. They are in the order of my rankings. Estrada was last round.

Code: Select all
Rodriguez, Alex 3B NYY
Lee, Carlos N. LF HOU
Holliday, Matt LF COL
Atkins, Garrett 3B COL
Ramirez, Hanley SS FLA
Pierre, Juan CF LA
Guillen, Carlos SS DET
Fielder, Prince 1B MIL
Hermida, Jeremy RF FLA
Rios, Alex RF TOR
Saito, Takashi RP
Lidge, Brad RP
Valverde RP
Young, Chris SP
Victorino, Shane OF PHI
Burnett, A.J.  SP
Olsen, Scott SP
Otsuka, Akinori RP
Snell, Ian SP
Harang, Aaron SP
Estrada, Johnny C MIL

I learned that a lot of these guys draft badly. :-)
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby milkshake » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:53 pm

Grouperman941 wrote:
milkshake wrote:It seems very unpredictable but very fun at the same time. I would figure you want to get guys you know will give you steals and saves for sure. I would look for your steals guys to give you some decent AVG. You can get your HR and RBI from power guys ERA and Wins will be important. If you spend picks on really good RP you can keep your ERA down. Wins could go either way each weak very unpredictable unless you grab a few aces.

So you are thinking steals and saves are more important than in 5x5. A lot of the teams in this league drafted like that last year. Aces and closers went fast, and a lot of sluggers went late. Why not capitalize on that and go for the opposite -- draft HRs and RBIs early and build a staff from who's left? Maybe also get trade bait for those guys who wasted picks on too many closers or SPs. (See my next post.)

The league is $100. Not exactly big money. I am not the commish, and he sent out 20+ invites.

I think it will be a lot easier to draft for one or two spots like HR and RBI than drafting for a spot a little harder to fill like AVG SB ERA W S. You get good AVG guys who can steal a lot of bags great. You can throw in a big bopper if you want early on also but I would go for those ERA and S numbers. You can kill two birds with one stone like this. You draft guys who fill more than one category. I would go into the draft with this plan then capitalize on there mistakes after you fill key categories.
milkshake
College Coach
College Coach

Postby walkoffblast » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:29 am

This is a daily head to head, where it looks like every day is a 'game.' Each team had a total of 176 games last year.

I would be very surprised if each day was a game in your league. 176/8=22. Your league plays 22 weeks in which you can make daily roster changes. At the end of the week you get a record based on how many of the 8 categories you win or lose vs the team you are facing that week. At least this is the way H2H is usually played.
walkoffblast
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AllDay » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:19 am

Grouperman941 wrote:So you are thinking steals and saves are more important than in 5x5. A lot of the teams in this league drafted like that last year. Aces and closers went fast, and a lot of sluggers went late. Why not capitalize on that and go for the opposite -- draft HRs and RBIs early and build a staff from who's left? Maybe also get trade bait for those guys who wasted picks on too many closers or SPs. (See my next post.)

I would definitely take advantage of the leagues draft tendencies if you know them. If they are ignoring good bats load up.
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers