Competition for a 16 year old? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Competition for a 16 year old?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Competition for a 16 year old?

Postby kingmike74 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:55 pm

My nephew has been playing FBB for 3 years and he is 16 now. he is quite good and never payed for a league. he now has almost 300.00 saved from shoveling snow and want to buy into a league at CBS. He asked me what level and I told him I was not sure. He wants to buy the "Diamond" for 250.00 with a 1600.00 payout to the winner.

I have played the platinum several times and found that about 4-5 of the owners are good, 1-2 seem to be experts and a few do not pay any attention at all.

My question is, does anyone know how big a jump is it from Platinum to Diamond in skill terms at CBS?

My nephew is not in it at all for the money but he really would like that extra incentive of winning 1600.00. He watches every game on DTV and spends over 4 hours a day only reading about baseball.
"I can't wait to put the uniform on each day" ~ Bobby Cox
kingmike74
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 28)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Competition for a 16 year old?

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:11 pm

He definitely could find a better payout. Assuming a 12 team league, that is $3000 in the pot. I'm not sure how the payout is structure if it's like 1600, 1000, 400 or something, but I would imagine that CBS is making a good profit off of the league. You should definitely invite your nephew to come chat it up here.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:12 pm

i would suggest your nephew not playing for money with people he doesnt know. why dont the two of you start a league with some people that you know and each throw in, say 50 bucks? thats a much better idea.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:18 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:i would suggest your nephew not playing for money with people he doesnt know. why dont the two of you start a league with some people that you know and each throw in, say 50 bucks? thats a much better idea.

I agree with this. Not sure what you accomplish by playing in money leagues with completely strangers online. At least if you put together a group of people you actually know then it is more about fun and competition with some money as a reward.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby kingmike74 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:41 pm

THX for the replies.

The problem is that besides me and my nephew, there are only 2 more people (friends & family) that even know about baseball and have no idea about Fantasy.

My nephew just got sick of Yahoo and CBS FREE leagues that have half the owners quit before June and post All-Star break, there are only 2-3 owners who care anymore. Like I said, it is not about the money, I just thought someone might know how the competition steps up from Platinum to Diamond. Thanks again for the help.
"I can't wait to put the uniform on each day" ~ Bobby Cox
kingmike74
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 28)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:37 pm

make a new league and you will be able to find enough people at the classified section here at the cafe.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:09 pm

kingmike74 wrote:
My nephew just got sick of Yahoo and CBS FREE leagues that have half the owners quit before June and post All-Star break, there are only 2-3 owners who care anymore. Like I said, it is not about the money, I just thought someone might know how the competition steps up from Platinum to Diamond. Thanks again for the help.

Join him up in a Cafe league if he's looking for some competition. }:-) ;-)
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Old_Style » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:18 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Join him up in a Cafe league if he's looking for some competition. }:-) ;-)

If all he's looking for is some competition, that would be the way to go.
Us wily vets take no prisoners and show no mercy... B-)
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MasterX1918 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:23 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
kingmike74 wrote:

Join him up in a Cafe league if he's looking for some competition. }:-) ;-)

that could be condoned as cruel and unusual
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Simulacrum » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:24 pm

Old_Style wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:Join him up in a Cafe league if he's looking for some competition. }:-) ;-)

If all he's looking for is some competition, that would be the way to go.
Us wily vets take no prisoners and show no mercy... B-)

Definitely. Sign the kid up, let's see how good he is. If he kicks butt in a cafe league you know he's good to go Platinum or Diamond or whatever next season.

Seriously, is it legal for a 16 yr old to join a $300 pay league?
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers