Prospects and Sleepers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Prospects and Sleepers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Prospects and Sleepers

Postby wingman3110 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:57 pm

Hey guys my one league that I play in doesnt have a lot of baseball savy people and dont really know anybody outside of the big names. So my question to you guys is who are some the top prospects that will see action this year and who are some of the guys going under the radar??

Thanks for your help
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 350)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Prospects and Sleepers

Postby MasterX1918 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:08 pm

what are you looking for specifically? Do you want a position by position ranking system? If so follow these links:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/2008/tips_by_position.php
http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/mlb/news;_ylt=AnzgE2SGCZj0rZno9mOiOp5NC5kB?slug=ys-08expertpoll-preseason1-1b
http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/mlb/news;_ylt=AknhW7AZ_xPgOeIF6lPbjuNNC5kB?slug=fantauct-aav_022208 (don't pay attention to the dollar values, just look at the names and their position)
http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/mlb/news?slug=bf-bigboard-baseball
also i'm not a big fan of yahoo! rankings, but just use them to get a general knowledge of when certain players are being taken and when certain players SHOULD be taken.

also answer me these question so we know your range of knowledge

do you guys know who Albert Pujols is?
Justin Morneau?
Carlos Pena?
Adrian Gonzalez?
Daric Barton?
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby CadensDad » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:31 pm

Lets just take a quiz huh?

Anyways you can target some guys like Josh Hamilton, Matt Cain, Cole Hamels, and let the other guys go after the bigger names. How "out of it" are your baseball league members? You might get lucky and land some guys like Fielder, Hart, ect. because they prefer the more established names

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 27)

Postby wingman3110 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:49 pm

Ok the guys in my league know all the all-star players and the Tigers, Indians, and Reds players (thats our area). Some of the guys they wont know would be like Matt Kemp, James Loney, Evan Longoria, Freddy Sanchez. Those are the type of players I would like to know more about. Also they probably wouldnt know Homer Bailey or Joey Votto.
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 350)

Postby Old_Style » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:27 pm

The only prospect I'd consider drafting this year is Billy Butler (1B/OF eligible for Yahoo leagues).
Experience and stability sometimes take a back seat to youth and upside, which could be a dangerous way of forming a team.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:28 pm

Old_Style wrote:The only prospect I'd consider drafting this year is Billy Butler (1B/OF eligible for Yahoo leagues).
Experience and stability sometimes take a back seat to youth and upside, which could be a dangerous way of forming a team.

Technically he graduated from being regarded as a prospect/rookie, but you're right, he arguably has the best Major league-ready bat for the hitting prospects called up in '07.

As far as prospects go, Longoria and Votto are worth the late round fliers. As for Homer Bailey, I'd keep him on my watch list or otherwise, he could be a good last-round pick. Of course, I'm assuming redraft.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 453)

Postby MasterX1918 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:42 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Old_Style wrote:The only prospect I'd consider drafting this year is Billy Butler (1B/OF eligible for Yahoo leagues).

Technically he graduated from being regarded as a prospect/rookie, but you're right, he arguably has the best Major league-ready bat for the hitting prospects called up in '07.

what about James Loney?
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Inukchuk » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:50 pm

Butler's bat is much better than Loney's, in my opinion. Take a quick peek at their minor league numbers, and you'll notice Loney's major league numbers last year were probably the product of a small sample size. I can't see him approaching those prorated stats over a full season.

Butler, on the other hand, has been compared quite often to the pre 2007 Travis Hafner... I like him much more in a keeper league.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Return to Baseball Leftovers