At what point should established league ask a team to leave? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

At what point should established league ask a team to leave?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

At what point should established league ask a team to leave?

Postby Sticky Spice » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:43 pm

Our 20-team keeper league has been around since 1991. We have an incredible group of long-time core owners. We also have some stinkers.

Last year we indirectly asked two teams to leave. One team had just joined that year and it was obviously too much for him. The other team had been around about five years, but controversy constantly surrounded him as he made unfavorable trades with one specific team, and was difficult to deal with for other teams. So there is precendence...

The next team we're monitoring this year has also been around about five years. He always enjoys the draft, knows his stuff at the time, and seems very gung-ho about everything. But after the draft he disappears - rarely makes transactions, never initiates trade talks, when he does trade it's seemingly to whoever can contact him first, doesn't or belatedly returns emails, and just plain doesn't mind his team. We recently pried an email response from him that said "I'll have to look at my roster soon." I am astonished each year that he returns.

His good qualities are that he's nice, doesn't cause problems, pays every year, and doesn't intentionally do any harm.

My opinion is that he is passively harming our league and should be given one more season to show us something or we'll ask him to leave.

Too harsh? Should we be Nazis or embrace diversity?
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 40)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: At what point should established league ask a team to leave?

Postby KCollins1304 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:05 pm

I would say if he is paying his dues and not causing problems, then I wouldn't get rid of him. You might approach him and ask him why he pays money to be in the league if he doesn't care that much to stay involved.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re: At what point should established league ask a team to leave?

Postby talan37 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:41 pm

Not trading isn't a reason a reason to remove someone from a league. Maybe he just feels that he likes the team he drafts, or inherently is being ripped off in any trades that are offered to him.

Not keeping his line-up "updated" though is a bit of a problem. A dead owner who's team loses matches because the correct guy isn't in, or because injured guys are still playing is definitely a problem. If hes got his best team in every day or most of the time, I don't see what the problem is. Would you rather he go constantly trolling for bad trades like some other guys do?
Check out my blog at http://www.rotopulse.com for fantasy baseball analysis, injury reports, commissioner info and more. For laughs check out http://www.sportshysterics.com
talan37
College Coach
College Coach

Trivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Return to Commissioner's Corner