Bonds to the Rays? deeray will have a fit - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bonds to the Rays? deeray will have a fit

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Bonds to the Rays? deeray will have a fit

Postby mweir145 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:01 am

If I can't have Barry in Toronto (I think putting him in LF would finally be the move that could push the Jays over the top), Barry in Tampa would be the next best thing. Seeing one of the best hitters of all time would definitely be a reason to go to D-Rays games for those 9 or so times they come a year. I would also immensely enjoy the HRs he would hit off Yankees and Red Sox pitching.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:03 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
I don't see how he is going to corrupt people. Distract them maybe, but corrupt? :-?

when you have young guys sometimes they see a star player acting a certain way and they think that is how they should act as well. There are guys that go out and quietly do there business, the first one to the park and last to leave, and there are others that expect things to be given to them because they are great. Bonds is the later, and I think that is something the Rays are trying to steer clear of

You should think about it. His addition might actually give you a chance in our bet. :-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:57 am

davidmarver wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:when you have young guys sometimes they see a star player acting a certain way and they think that is how they should act as well. There are guys that go out and quietly do there business, the first one to the park and last to leave, and there are others that expect things to be given to them because they are great. Bonds is the later, and I think that is something the Rays are trying to steer clear of

No offense, but with what I've seen out of Elijah Dukes, Josh Hamilton, and Delmon Young, I don't think the Rays are doing a great job of keeping their player corrupt-free as is. So even if Bonds did bring some sort of negative attitude towards the Rays, I don't think it'd make much of a difference, at least not enough to offset the positives he'd bring by perhaps showing that franchise what it's like to compete.

If he goes to Tampa I'm going to end up very happy with my $1 2008 investment in him, and it'll be a ton of fun to watch the Rays, especially if Bonds can beat up the Sox and Yanks. :-L

Dukes and Young both had there problems long before they came to the Rays. Hamilton got addicted to pain meds after an injury, I don't see how that in any way refelects the Rays keeping the players corrupt-free
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Rotundor » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:07 am

mweir145 wrote:If I can't have Barry in Toronto (I think putting him in LF would finally be the move that could push the Jays over the top), Barry in Tampa would be the next best thing. Seeing one of the best hitters of all time would definitely be a reason to go to D-Rays games for those 9 or so times they come a year. I would also immensely enjoy the HRs he would hit off Yankees and Red Sox pitching.

What about the home runs he hits off of the Jays pitchers? Also, I love going to Tampa games; they provide a nice contrast to the long ball that the Bosox and Yanks always play.
Rotundor
College Coach
College Coach

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:28 am

jlm53089 wrote:I would hate it if Bonds showed up.

I guess our first legit shot at a .500 record is terrible, huh? :-?
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jcobb79 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:37 am

If i have said it once I have said it a hundred times I don't care who you are or what you do off the field if you help my team win I will stand up and cheer for you. Lets face it there are a ton of spoiled ballplayers out there Barry is not the exception. He would be a great addition at DH for a lot of teams Rangers, Seattle, DRays, Twins, and O's to name a few and in addition he puts butts in the seats. Barry Bonds will sell tickets for any team he plays for and he will produce numbers that help that team win. Will someone please get off there high and mighty horse and give this Hall of Famer a JOB.
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day." Frank Sinatra
jcobb79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:23 pm

I really wish they'd send Vidro to the glue factory and sign Barry to DH. Heck even though he can't play defense any more he may even be a better defensive LF than Ibanez. :-B
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CadensDad » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:08 pm

jfg wrote:
CadensDad wrote:$1? Wow I saw in one league where he went as high as $6 in a $260 cap league

When was that auction held? That's ridiculous. He made 10-11 bucks last year and I wouldn't spend half that for a guy without a team and perjury charges looming. I probably wouldn't even go to $3.

Like 2 weeks ago, I had to leave the league due to problems with the other owners, but there was a lot of crazy prices, Kelly Johnson went for 17 dollars and then Mark Ellis went for 5, Crawford went for 41 and Sizemore for 26, Roger Clemens even went for 3

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby davidmarver » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:41 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Dukes and Young both had there problems long before they came to the Rays. Hamilton got addicted to pain meds after an injury, I don't see how that in any way refelects the Rays keeping the players corrupt-free

What I'm saying is that those cancers/idiots didn't cause any other D-Rays to act any differently than they were, so it's doubtful that Bonds would do anything different.

Crawford, Upton, Bonds, Pena, Baldelli, Iwamura, Bartlett, Longoria, Navarro. That'd be an interesting bunch.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:46 pm

davidmarver wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:Dukes and Young both had there problems long before they came to the Rays. Hamilton got addicted to pain meds after an injury, I don't see how that in any way refelects the Rays keeping the players corrupt-free

What I'm saying is that those cancers/idiots didn't cause any other D-Rays to act any differently than they were, so it's doubtful that Bonds would do anything different.

Crawford, Upton, Bonds, Pena, Baldelli, Iwamura, Bartlett, Longoria, Navarro. That'd be an interesting bunch.

Agreed a top 7 of Iwamura, Crawford, Bonds, Pena, Upton, Baldelli, and Longoria can be very competitive offensively.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers