Liriano - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Liriano

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Liriano

Postby sblinyy » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:29 pm

Feb 25 La Velle E. Neal III, of the Star-Tribune, reports Minnesota Twins SP Francisco Liriano reached 97 mph on the radar gun in a recent bullpen session and threw consistently at 92-95 mph.

Well I guess the wing looks okay since he hit 97. I really am not worried about liriano at all this year. He says he's fine, he looks fine, you shouldn't shy away from him in drafts.

Thanks to abrage22 for the sweet sig!
sblinyy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Liriano

Postby Ender » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:31 pm

He plays on a bad team and I doubt he goes more than 175 IP since they won't be in contention. Not a reason to shy away from him but I still think you take him after guys like Lincecum. I saw him go in the 8th round the other day, that is just too soon.
Last edited by Ender on Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby quiksilver » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:40 pm

I agree with Ender to a point. In h2h format he's only going to give you so many quality innings a week -- however he could be roto gold regardless if he sort of gets his innings capped. 175 innings similar to his 2006 I'd gamble on fairly early in drafts (like 8th round, as you mentioned).
quiksilver
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BlueBandit24 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:51 pm

I am more concerned with how he feels throwing his slider as opposed to how hard he is throwing. He is a decent gamble late in drafts but there are still plenty of risks associated with him, including the possibility that he is a middle reliever in April.

Kudos to GiantsFan14 for the sig.
BlueBandit24
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby CadensDad » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:53 pm

BlueBandit24 wrote:I am more concerned with how he feels throwing his slider as opposed to how hard he is throwing. He is a decent gamble late in drafts but there are still plenty of risks associated with him, including the possibility that he is a middle reliever in April.

Very good point, his slider is what made him "GOLD there is just a lot safer picks out there

“Never argue with a idiot, because first they will bring you down to their level. Then beat you with experience.”
CadensDad
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 27)

Postby Field » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:23 pm

I'd rather take a gamble with Harden who can be had much much later. It's too much of a risk to grab Liriano where you'll have to grab him.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:47 pm

Field wrote:I'd rather take a gamble with Harden who can be had much much later. It's too much of a risk to grab Liriano where you'll have to grab him.

Ha, but I assume 90% probability that he'll find the DL this year and from here on out. Whether or not Liriano is effective is kind of a moot point in relation to Harden.

I'd also like to see how Liriano does throwing his slider as it's his most effective pitch besides throwing the heat. That'll be key to seeing how close to form he can get as well as staying healthy. Liriano in the 8th sounds like a massive stretch, but I think it's fine to bite in the 13th round once the likes of Billingsley and McGowan are off the board.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 451)

Postby Field » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:02 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Field wrote:I'd rather take a gamble with Harden who can be had much much later. It's too much of a risk to grab Liriano where you'll have to grab him.

Ha, but I assume 90% probability that he'll find the DL this year and from here on out. Whether or not Liriano is effective is kind of a moot point in relation to Harden.

I'd also like to see how Liriano does throwing his slider as it's his most effective pitch besides throwing the heat. That'll be key to seeing how close to form he can get as well as staying healthy. Liriano in the 8th sounds like a massive stretch, but I think it's fine to bite in the 13th round once the likes of Billingsley and McGowan are off the board.

I don't really think it's a moot point to compare Harden and Liriano since both have a similar upside and risk. I'm not targeting either guy, I just think that when you way risk and reward they are similar and one of the main differences right now is their respective ADPs. I don't think you'll be able to grab Liriano after Bills or Mcgowan, but I think you'd probably be able to get Harden if you wanted him.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:09 pm

Here is a breakdown of Liriano's mechanics.

The thing I don't agree with is that if you scroll down to the last two photos, note his elbow is positioned above his shoulder. I'm not so sure how anyone can get their arm like that and then unleash a 95 MPH fastball or a 90 MPH slider. Mine would pop just getting my arm into that position.

Until he fixes his mechanics, I doubt he can stay healthy. And everything I've heard is that he is not changing.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yoda » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:15 pm

I also don't believe it is the sliders that breaks down pitchers. Pitchers like Carlton, RJ have lived off throwing sliders. Certain pitches put more awkward stress/pressure on the body for sure but properly throwing it is the key I believe.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers