What do I need to know about Sandbox FP? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What do I need to know about Sandbox FP?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What do I need to know about Sandbox FP?

Postby intodeep » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:14 pm

RyanK wrote:I started on sandbox back when it was free.. it went pay and my FB days ended, then i found the cafe... wish it went free again

I too got my fantasy feet wet with sandbox for my first few years. then it went to pay and i went to yahoo.

I remember pitching being overvalued in my sandbox days and it sounds like things have not changed much!
intodeep
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby milkshake » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:18 pm

Depending on which format u play FC or SBX you can edit things to your liking. So you can bring down the pitcher value bring up the RP or batting or anything you wish.
milkshake
College Coach
College Coach

Postby quiksilver » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:54 pm

My first three rounds have been:
1. Albert Pujols (4th overall pick)
2. Brandon Webb (25th overall)
3. Carlos Lee (30th overall)

I gambled a bit by taking Lee but a combination of his low K-rate and quality numbers across the board project him to be a borderline top 10 hitter in this format (above the likes of M-Cab and Teixeira). The gamble was that there are tons of top caliber pitchers available as well here (like Beckett, C.C., etc) and there are 20 picks until I'm up again. Gotta pray that someone like Haren falls back around to me.

Either way, though, Pujols and Webb project to both be around the top 5 for all players overall. It's like drafting A-Rod and Hanley in a standard yahoo league :-) . Wouldn't of done it without the solid advice though. Kudos all around!
quiksilver
College Coach
College Coach

Postby blankman » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:42 pm

SP's who pitch deep into games and get lots of K's are incredibly dominant in Sandbox. Years ago, RJ, Schilling and Pedro were easily the top picks, even over ARod, a SS.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby AllDay » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:05 am

quiksilver wrote:My first three rounds have been:
1. Albert Pujols (4th overall pick)
2. Brandon Webb (25th overall)
3. Carlos Lee (30th overall)

I gambled a bit by taking Lee but a combination of his low K-rate and quality numbers across the board project him to be a borderline top 10 hitter in this format (above the likes of M-Cab and Teixeira). The gamble was that there are tons of top caliber pitchers available as well here (like Beckett, C.C., etc) and there are 20 picks until I'm up again. Gotta pray that someone like Haren falls back around to me.

Either way, though, Pujols and Webb project to both be around the top 5 for all players overall. It's like drafting A-Rod and Hanley in a standard yahoo league :-) . Wouldn't of done it without the solid advice though. Kudos all around!

I would ignore SP and get a couple more bats for now. You shouldn't ignore offense too much going after some of the top SP's IMO. Getting Webb is probably a particularly nice grab. Halladay maybe I'd consider in the late 6th/7th based on his past history (guy has pitched a lot of CG's). No guarantee that continues - but he could be a nice #2 in that format.

Just knowing that guys who go far into games and get K's are desireable will help you select better SP's for your format than others selecting at the same time. I would take advantage of that and still grab good bats early.

Some of the SP's around at certain points later in the draft will be better options than others drafted at the same time. That's where you apply your knowledge. You shouldn't reach too early or too often unless the draft looks like it is forcing you into it to get these players.

I read something about F Hernandez being much less retricted by pitch counts or working late in games. On the flip side Liriano would probably be limited on pitches. A difference like that between SP's drafted fairly close too each other in many drafts could be significant.

Steals guys are probably devalued versus power in this format too. HR's are worth 3x a steal, plus you get a R and at least 1 RBI. Only the big whiffers are going to lose significant points chasing HR's.

I think when I was looking at the WW for addable players 3 points per game was about the magic number for a decent player to put in the lineup. An OF putting up 2.5 points won't cut it, a guy putting up 3.5 was a pretty good player. Not sure if it was the exact same scoring, but it looks close.
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers