The Wire - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The Wire

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Wire

Postby jfg » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:08 am

Omar is awesome, Presbelewski (or however you spell it) is a good character but I'm not liking him so far in season 4, and I was pretty disappointed in how it went in season 3. I like that you feel sorry for some characters like Bubbles. I don't think I've ever shouted NO! at the screen during a TV show before but I did when he was going to get clean and lost his out. Bunk is another character you feel bad for.

I think they do a great job of finding the evils in everything, and I like the way they don't sympathize with any of it like The Sopranos did, they just show it raw. I guess they kind of sympathize with it especially in season 2, but usually it's the patsies and the kids. Never do they portray the big guns as guys you should feel sorry for but at the same time they still go pretty deep into those characters- you end up knowing a lot about Barksdale and Stringer but never did I feel emotionally attached to them. It's tough to compare seasons, all of them have been equally good. I liked season 2, the first episode kind of shocked me because there wasn't any lead in to it but it shaped up really nice.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:05 am

I think it took me 3-4 days to finish season 1, and then I've been watching the rest as I've been unemployed for the past month, so I've had time. I'm hoping to finish them all before I start my new job on the 22nd but I don't know if I'm going to get there.

This season is hard to watch. It's been easy to say that the first three seasons were real but still disassociate from it since I have no idea what that's like, but it's sad to watch the classroom situations.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby jfg » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:26 am

I know that's what's sad. My parents both teach in an area that's turned pretty bad and I hear some stories of parents and kids, but they know it could be a lot worse. But, like in season 4, I think getting a few bad apples out of the classroom makes things a whole lot better.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby thedude » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:15 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
jfg wrote:It's been easy to say that the first three seasons were real but still disassociate from it since I have no idea what that's like, but it's sad to watch the classroom situations.

honestly, i dont think the classrooms scenes are that far off either.

HBO had a documentary on a West Baltimore High School and if seemed very much like the atmosphere the Wire showed.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Curtis Pride » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:31 pm

Anyone who has HBO and hasn't watched the Wire, season 1 is now on HBO On Demand.

What HBO will do is have the show on demand for around a month and then put the second season for a month and so forth.

It's an amazing show and should not be missed.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:00 am

Curtis Pride wrote:Anyone who has HBO and hasn't watched the Wire, season 1 is now on HBO On Demand.

What HBO will do is have the show on demand for around a month and then put the second season for a month and so forth.

It's an amazing show and should not be missed.

im about 1/2 way through Season 2 via Blockbuster Online...hopefully they will start playing the rest of the seasons On Demand, although i may finish with the DVD's by then

awesome, awesome show BTW
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Curtis Pride » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:11 am

The show gets better. Season 2 was probably the worst season. If it wasn't it was second worst behind season 5.

Seasons 3 and 4 are by far the best seasons.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk