The Wire - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The Wire

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Wire

Postby thedude » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:11 pm

This is probably my favorite show on TV right now. It is too bad it is in its final season. Any thoughts on the developments of the season far?
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Wire

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:20 pm

ive heard great things about it, but ive never gotten a chance to watch the dvds. i want to start from the beginning so i can catch everything...on that note, i wont be back in this thread, because i dont want to see any spoilers. :-B

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby macdona1 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:40 am

Glad that there was a thread started on this ;-D I am a big-time lurker while I am at work and would enjoy seeing this topic discussed. Basically, The Wire is the most underrated/best show on television, definitely my favorite!

I have a few major thoughts on this season and would be interested to see other people's opinions!

The first of which would have to be the development of Mcnulty this season, it is interesting to see him be the main focus of the season after he became more or less irrelevant after season one. What I keep ruminating on in my mind is whether or not he is being portrayed as a hero or an anti-hero this season. By him and Lester creating the "Serial Killer" they are quite possibly doing more good by getting the means necessary to build a case and bring down Marlo. However, the crux of this is that he is destroying himself by relapsing into alcoholism, destroying his relationship with Beadie and what I think is going to end up happening in the end getting himself sent to jail when his ruse gets discovered. My personal opinion is I think that Kima ends up betraying him, Kima is a great character and I believe that she has the strongest sense of wrong and right out of any of the characters. I don't think that Kima stands by Mcnulty on this one.

Another major development within the past episode is directly related to the bodies dropped in the Vacant Houses by Snoop and Chris. Apparently with Mcnulty's help (even though their relationship has been destroyed this season which is quite disappointing to see as I thought that they played off each other the best throughout the series) Bunk can now connect Chris to one of the bodies in the Vacant's and has a warrant for his arrest. This is quite the development for two reasons; the first of which being that Mcnulty's path to self-destruction has now come full-circle, his whole plan was to build the case through the illegal wire against Marlo, but if the warrant against Chris is served than Marlo and his Crew would most certainly change up and everything tha the has been working for goes down the drain. Secondly, I think that the relationship between Bunk and Mcnulty has detiorated so far that he might end up serving the warrant in order to spite Mcnulty. It makes me wonder what is going to happen on that end.

Those are just my thoughts on what has happened so far this season, I didn't even touch on Carcetti or Daniels that much even though there is much to discuss on that front as well. I will ruminate on them as well and dedicate another post to the more higher-ups and the Press as well. I hope that there are some other Wire-heads such as myself here in the Cafe and would not only LOVE to discuss this season, but the prior seasons as well.

I think that overall my favorite season was Season 4 focusing on the schools and Carcetti's election. I believe that was the most relevant and socially poignant season to date, especially how once the Barksdale/Eastside Crews were brought down, Marlo's Crew showed up and were more violent/heartless/destructive/ruthless/selfish than either the Barksdale or Eastside Crews combined.

To conclude for now, I would also like to give a RIP to Omar the best character on television. I was honestly hoping that he could make it through the show alive but considering how he was trying to go after Marlo, his death was inevitable.
macdona1
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Curtis Pride » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:07 am

my favorite season was the 3rd season, because it's absolutely true that if drugs were decriminalized, a huge portion of violent crime and civil decay would disappear.

People want to do drugs; let them. Making it illegal to do so only makes it a more profitable and violent industry.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby thedude » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:43 am

The whole McNulty serial killer plot line is very interesting. I see an interview with the creators a few years ago and they talked about how they liked to base their characters on Greek tragic heroes, who fall through the presence of an inherent flaw. This is certainly McNulty. He is one the best cop in the city, but is arrogant, egocentric, and is unable to see that he cannot always have his way. That arrogance is now leading to his destruction. He may bring in this major case (he always brought in several career cases), but at the end of his day he will likely lose his job, his friends, his wife, and Marlo will only be replaced by someone even more vicious. That is the way of the street. Barkesdale was a low down murdering drug dealer, but he had some honor (see incident with Omar's Granny); he was arrested by the Major Case Squad and Marlo (who takes a page out of Stalin's play book) filled the power vacuum.

On another note: any thoughts on Omar's death? I find it kinda anticlimactic, but somehow more realistic (not who killed him, but how he was shot from behind, without honor, Jesse James style).
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dislexic Irishman » Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:15 am

I was a little upset when they killed Omar (and what was up with switching the tags on his body?). I liked how everything played out in the end. Michael basically stepping in for Omar as the killer / thief with a conscience while dukie became the next Bubbles and everything on the streets goes back to the way it was. I really don't want to give anything away as this is easily my favorite show and everyone should start watching from the beginning, I don't think I gave anything away that hasn't already been said and I won't give away any more.

I just started watching The Corner which in some ways was basically The Wire from the point of view of junkies (made by the creators of The Wire before they made The Wire). Not nearly as good, but it's interesting to watch if your a fan of The Wire. Plenty of familiar faces too (Prop Joe, Lester Freamon, McNulty's supervisor Jay, Carcetti's advisor Norm, possibly Sydnor so far)
Dislexic Irishman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:56 am

Dislexic Irishman wrote: I liked how everything played out in the end. Michael basically stepping in for Omar as the killer / thief with a conscience while dukie became the next Bubbles and everything on the streets goes back to the way it was.

That is a recurring theme (and probably the most important theme of the show). No matter what any does the streets stay the same or get worse. The cops take down one drug dealer, he is replaced with a dealer who is even more vicious; that drug dealer goes down, someone else steps up and takes his place. The Drug Thief is killed, he is replaced. A junkie gets his act together and gets clean, a young kid starts using. One cop quites another one takes his place (Sydnor/ McNulty)
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon May 05, 2008 10:05 pm

just got the 4 seasons on dvd and am going to start them tonight...i cant wait. ;-D

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CheeseBeger » Mon May 05, 2008 10:51 pm

This is the only show that I have not been able to find on the internet :~(

I need to find someone with the dvd's...
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby charliebrown2 » Tue May 06, 2008 3:53 pm

as much as I like The Wire, I still like The Shield more
charliebrown2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to General Talk