H2H - Points vs 5x5 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

H2H - Points vs 5x5

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

H2H - Points vs 5x5

Postby josebach » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:39 pm

I've been playing fantasy baseball for years but this is the first year I'm playing a points H2H weekly league. Considering that it's the default scoring system for free CBS leagues, I'm a little curious as to why I've not seen more info regarding draft strategy for it.

The points values are as follows:
Batting Category Point Value
Single 1 point
Double 2 points
Triple 3 points
Home Run 4 points
RBI 1 point
Run 1 point
Base on Balls 1 point
Stolen Base 2 points

Pitching Category Point Value
Win 10 points
Save 10 points
Complete Game 5 points
Strikeout 1 point
Base on Balls -0.5 points
Inning Pitched 2 points
Hits Allowed -0.5 points
Earned Runs -1 point

Are they any general rules of thumb I need to know about regarding this type of scoring? It looks to me like I may want to inflate the value of pitchers some, but other than that, stick with the "best player available" rule I usually live by.

(This is a cafe league and I know some of the other guys in it haven't played points before either)
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Re: H2H - Points vs 5x5

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:52 pm

I'd look into the value of closers vs. starters when wins and saves are worth the same amount. I haven't played in a points league in ages but it could be worth taking the elites early if you calculate their total value from last season compared to the top aces.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:12 pm

Taking a look at 2 M's 2006 point totals...

Erik Bedard - 557
JJ Putz - 630.5

Interesting.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 814)

Postby noseeum » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:33 pm

Yeah, load up on closers. Most people will start only two and opt for 2 start pitchers, but if you can get 3 good closers you're better off. I assume you start 7 pitchers.

On offense, speed is meaningless for the most part. Power rules in points leagues.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:36 pm

I've never played points either, but I think with saves equally weighted with wins, a closer is a tad more valuable than a starter, which vaults the likes of Papelbon, K-Rod, and Putz up the draft board seeing how there tends to be greater turnover amongst closers and because a top 3-5 closer will yield less hits allowed, a high K rate, and 1/3 of a starter's IP. You have a better chance to claim maximum points out of a closer on one outing especially given the randomness of wins.

I still think you take the best player off the board and try to achieve balance with your pitching in mixing high ceiling pitchers with those who can stick it out for 7 innings regularly and/or can get the run support to rack up wins.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby noseeum » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:55 pm

The other thing is, hardly any fantasy press writes about this format. People read nothing but articles advising not to waste higher picks on closers, which is good advice for 5X5, not so much here.

Use that to your advantage, so you can focus on offense the first five or six rounds, then clean up on stud closers. Santana and other top pitchers will likely still be drafted in their normal rounds, but that would be overpaying in this format. Let the other owners pay too much for the top SPs, grab offense, then pounce on the closers. It does pay to have solid starting pitching, so don't forget about it. Just don't overpay.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby roninmedia » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:14 pm

I've played in that points format for 3 years. According to Sportsline, it has overtaken roto as the most popular format on their site.

1) Draft offense and offense. Offense is the driving force to winning in this format. Especially power bats.

2) Get closers. Like in roto, where it's practically suicide to punt saves, it's just as bad if not worse in this format. Closers will get more points overall than most pitchers but there are weeks when they may get you nada.

3) When it comes to pitching, downplay ERA and WHIP. Go for pitchers who will get you wins or saves, high total of K's or both (Mr. Joe Borowski with his 5.07 ERA and 1.43 WHIP was the #5 closer :^ ).
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby RJ24VC15 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:35 pm

HR's and saves.

Unlike other formats you don't lose anything to not have the other cats.

I've played the system before and the winning teams have power bats, lots of closers and mainly use just 2-start pitchers if it's a weekly roster setup which CBS is.
RJ24VC15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mkooljr1 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:43 pm

The reason there are no strategy articles is because it's the easiest format to prepare for. You already have the scoring system. All you have to do is plug in your projections for each player to come up with a total points projection, then subtract the top replacement-level player from each position to come up with your adjusted points. Then draft away based on the order of adjusted points. There's no strategy, just take the players with highest ranked adjusted points! Quite simple indeed.
Pal Locale - Get paid to meet people and share your skills
RotoGraphs Posts
mkooljr1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Sp_Da_Man » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:14 pm

RJ24VC15 wrote:HR's and saves.

Unlike other formats you don't lose anything to not have the other cats.

I've played the system before and the winning teams have power bats, lots of closers and mainly use just 2-start pitchers if it's a weekly roster setup which CBS is.

This info is right on. High-end SP's, closers & power guys are the way to. Since they don't penalize k's, Howard & Dunn are huge in this format.

I usually start one or two stud sp's, two or three closers & then mix in all the 2-starts I can.
Sp_Da_Man
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers