Auction league questions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Auction league questions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Auction league questions

Postby djhoj » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:53 pm

My league is making the switch this year from serpentine draft to auction draft. I am having some trouble coming up with a good starting salary cap -- among other things.

Here is some info on my league -
10 man league
H2H scoring
Keep 5 players (5 hitters, 5 pitchers, 1 rookies)
Acquire 16 players in auction (16 auction + 5 keepers + 5 man draft for reserves)

Is the normal $260 good to use even though we are only using auctin for 16 players?

Also - if I want to use a FAAB (Cbssportsline) how do I come up with a good working salary cap?? I was thinking around $400 for the season.

I would appreciate any suggestions on this........

Thank in advance for your help
djhoj
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Auction league questions

Postby lsommerer » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:01 pm

When you wrote "Keep 5 players (5 hitters, 5 pitchers, 1 rookies)" did you mean 2 hitters, 2 pitchers, 1 rookie? I'm going to assume that's right. Here are a few thought...

a) $260 is a nice amount to use for a 26 man roster (which is basically what you have), so I think you'll be fine using it. The dollar amounts you find in magazines won't seem right after the top players in each position, but that's true for all but the largest/deepest leagues.

b) Have you given any thought to what you'll do next year with your keepers when all of the players who were taken in the auction have dollar values, but your keepers don't? I don't think you have a problem if you continue to do keepers they way you do now, but if you want to change to a certain dollar amount of keepers in the future you'll want to give them a value too.

c) We don't use a salary cap at all during the season. If someone wants to trade a stud for a couple of rookies they can do that. Again, if you want to use a salary cap during the season you'll also want to assign a dollar amount to your keepers.
lsommerer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mission27 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:37 pm

1. Use a 11.5 dollars per player depending on the number of players you have. If you have 23 than its 260 cap. Use 100 FAAB budget. Determine a specific magazine/site for dollar values on keepers (use the 07 values because thats what they "would" have gone for). If you email me a list of all keepers (geshwind5@gmail.com) I can send you all of their rotowire dollar prices. From now on I would also recommend that you let people keep FAAB players for 1 dollar.
mission27
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby djhoj » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:31 pm

Yes - sorry I meant 2 hitters 2 pitchers and 1 rookie

I was planning on using auction values posted on sportsline for the keepers we are carrying into this years draft - - then the auction value from this years draft becomes the players salary all season and into next years draft for players that are kept.

Is this the way everyone else is doing it??
djhoj
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Matthias » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:43 pm

First, you should eliminate the reserve draft. It begs the question of how much the reserve drafted players should be kept for as well as means you'd have to adjust your overall salary cap downward since you'd only be bidding on 21 players.

Second, using values from this year as someone's keeper price is fine; or you could subtract $3 off of every player to create keeper value. But for years in the future, you should make salaries go up the longer players are kept... our salaries go up $3 the first year, another $5 the second year, and $10 more every year thereafter. You can adjust the #s as you want, but they should definitely increase and increase more the further out you go.

As far as every FAAB being $1, no way. Players keeper price should be their FAAB price.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby djhoj » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:55 pm

[quote="Matthias"]First, you should eliminate the reserve draft. It begs the question of how much the reserve drafted players should be kept for as well as means you'd have to adjust your overall salary cap downward since you'd only be bidding on 21 players.

-- I agree with this but some owners suggested drafting reserves to save time. How long on average can I expect 26 player auction take??

Second, using values from this year as someone's keeper price is fine; or you could subtract $3 off of every player to create keeper value. But for years in the future, you should make salaries go up the longer players are kept... our salaries go up $3 the first year, another $5 the second year, and $10 more every year thereafter. You can adjust the #s as you want, but they should definitely increase and increase more the further out you go.

-- The biggest issue I am wrestling with is setting keeper values for players we bring into this season that were drafted last year & players acquired in auction this year that may possiblly be kept next year. I was even thinking of using 50% of their auction value. I am opened to suggestions on this.
-- I am using the exact system you described to raise salaries every year a player is kept.

As far as every FAAB being $1, no way. Players keeper price should be their FAAB price.[/quote]
-I am planning on using the blind bidding on csbsportsline and whatever value they are acquired for is their salary and keeper value - just like in the auction. See any problems with this??

I truly appreciate all the advice so far -- it has been excellent - please keep it coming!!
djhoj
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Matthias » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:05 pm

Doing a full auction draft doesn't take much longer than an auction draft with a reserve: most of the players at the end go for the $1 minimum, anyway. And then you keep the integrity of how much players were actually bought for. As for how long it takes.... probably 4-5 hrs with breaks and assuming no major system malfunctions.

I would stay away from %age discounts on players and just do a straight value deduction. Otherwise, you'd have A-Rod kept for $25 or $26 and that's just not realistic. Ignoring the readjustment for keeper inflation, all everyone really cares about is how far below value their players are so a straight value deduction is appropriate. Three dollars might be too stingy; five dollars off might be better. And then anyone under $1 is just $1. You could even throw in everyone listed under $10 is keepable for $1 to make people take more risks and not just keep their studs (for this year only, obviously).

Your FAAB system sounds fine. And all else good.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Commissioner's Corner