Totally Free Fantasy Resources - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Totally Free Fantasy Resources

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Totally Free Fantasy Resources

Postby bigpoppalip » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:49 pm

If there's one thing that I appreciate, it's free fantasy baseball content. The bottom line is that the paid services out there, although often valuable as time-savers, do not hold some secret corner on the market for fantasy baseball knowledge - in fact, it's shown that their stat projections really don't do appreciably better than the free ones. There's plenty of good stuff if you know where to look. I don't want to spend the time re-doing all the links in the bulletin board code, but I compiled a list of 20+ such resources on my blog. Please feel free to suggest more.

20+ Totally Free Fantasy Baseball Tools for 2008 Draft Preparation
bigpoppalip
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Totally Free Fantasy Resources

Postby bigpoppalip » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:13 pm

Like I said, not going to go through and redo the links here, but the article is here:

--

FanGraphs - a fascinating website for stat geeks with right brain leanings. If the difference between a SLG of .350 and .432 is hard for you to picture, let FanGraphs draw one for you. Does your 50 lb. copy of Baseball Prospectus tell you that someone's career may resemble Ray Lankford? Take a peek at FanGraphs to see what Ray Lankford's career arch looked like - and maybe, if you are wondering about players named Curtis, what Ray Lankford did at age 27.

ZiPS Projections - The Baseball Think Factory also provides stats projections to FanGraphs and have a whole lot more than numbers to offer on its site. BTF folks are not casual Yahoo leaguers. They study sabermetrics and economics. These are the guys playing Diamond Mind in their basements. Their projections were the best free ones out there in 2007 according to this article at Baseball Prospectus Unfiltered. Keep an eye as well on BTF's Transaction Oracle for heads-ups on signings and promotions.

Marcel Projections - Also used on FanGraphs.com, Marcel projections are interesting in that they use much less data than all the others on out there (including those here) but as far as accuracy, according to Baseball Prospectus, generally did pretty darn well nonetheless in 2007, coming in fourth.

Chone Projections - Chone provides player stats projections to FanGraphs as well. But Chone's projections go beyond offense and pitching to defense. Came in on that BP list below Marcel but still above some premium services

RotoAuthority Projections - Tim Dierkes is the RotoAuthority, the mind behind the gold standard of free fantasy baseball blogs, and he also runs MLBTradeRumors, the best independent website on the Internet at its stated mission - gathering all the trade whispers from around baseball. Even Peter Gammons reads Tim's work. His contribution is among the biggest among those giving it away pretty much for free - don't let the ugly websites fool you. This year he's giving his projections away for free while asking that you bring him five new readers. Hopefully this post brings him at least that many.

ESPN Projections - You've probably seen these, but worth including here considering they were the third most accurate in 2007 according to that BP article.

Rotowire Projections - Usually these are a paid-for option, but right now it seems you can click through here to get an Excel spreadsheet.

Thomas George's Dollar Value Calculator - TG Fantasy Baseball is a great destination all year 'round for player news and depth charts, but this tool is a particularly good example of TG's work. TG is also affiliated with a paid service called RotoUmpire.com for resolving league disputes.

Thomas George's Downloadable MLB stats - Also from TG but worthy of a separate mention, you can download the actual 2001-2007 MLB player stats in Excel, Word and even PDF formats - great if you prefer to skip expert projections and crunch numbers on your own.

Sports Fanatics' Tier Ratings - For those who find dollar values and even draft ranks dizzying, Mike Inglett provides a simplified approach - a tiered perspective on who to choose when for standard Roto setups. Some may find this oversimplified. Others could argue that nitpicky dollar values are arbitrary when you look at say, 2007 results vs. projections. No one had A-Rod going first.

MLBFrontOffice's The Board - Another simplified look at your options, in the form of a GM-style Big Board. You've seen versions of this concept elsewhere, but this time it's coming from someone who isn't fat, overrated and working for Yahoo. In fact, MLBFrontOffice seems quite competent overall. And I'd guess slimmer.

Mock Draft Central's Expert Draft Results - See who the so-called experts chose in a mid-January draft - the next one is at the end of this month. I wonder how many of them picked A-Rod first LAST year?

FantasyAuctioneer.com's Average Auction Values - If you take the term experts with a grain of salt, here's who the larger fantasy community is picking. Probably shouldn't use this as your draft cheat sheet, but a great way to know what the "market" thinks.

MVN.com's Roster Magazine's Fantasy Kit - This one doesn't even debut until February 26, but given the brand's track record of quality content, I'd bet it will be darn good. They're using a free fantasy baseball prep kit as a means to launch the e-magazine. Looking forward to it.

The Inside Pitch's Closer Watch - You might think this one is best for once the season begins, but usually closers are still shifting around the day you're drafting. Don't let the low-budget looking website fool you - the info is usually pretty accurate and frequently updated.

Baseball Insights - An impressive array of tools are available after a 15-second account registration process, from player values to stats, to news. Although it doesn't have a single downloadable file encompassing all of its player projections, it does pair individually searchable projections with news - so it might be a good place to double-check right before you hit the draft button in case of late-breaking injuries, etc.

Sports Grumblings' Fantasy Forecast ® Projections - Sports Grumblings' projections are nice in that they are customizable for mixed or NL/AL only leagues. Plus there's use of the word proprietary, a nifty ® sign and a mention of a "top-secret methodology." That's like real bits of panther, so you KNOW it's good.

TheRotoFeed.com - C'mon, you had to be expecting a plug at some point. In addition to our own free projections, The RotoFeed makes staying up to date with fantasy baseball from now until draft and throughout the season a breeze by combining every decent fantasy baseball blog into one RSS feed. Plus we complied this great article. So show us some love and Digg us, or Ballhype us, or Yardbark us, or something!
bigpoppalip
College Coach
College Coach

Postby izzolizzo » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:15 pm

These are frickin great - thanks for posting!
izzolizzo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby The Cow » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:45 pm

bigpoppalip wrote:If there's one thing that I appreciate, it's free fantasy baseball content. The bottom line is that the paid services out there, although often valuable as time-savers, do not hold some secret corner on the market for fantasy baseball knowledge - in fact, it's shown that their stat projections really don't do appreciably better than the free ones. There's plenty of good stuff if you know where to look. I don't want to spend the time re-doing all the links in the bulletin board code, but I compiled a list of 20+ such resources on my blog. Please feel free to suggest more.

I have most of those, but I was lacking some, thanks. I got ya bookmarked, I will check out your site which looks promising when I have more time. J35J has a nice spreadsheet out maybe you should link that somehow.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jlm53089 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:47 pm

Good post, nothing like free baseball stuff.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:23 pm

Don't forget FantasyBaseballExpress.com -- that place is loaded with free stuff. A big big draft guide with projections and strategies and what not, plus a nice set of podcasts. I not only have it bookmarked, but I have it toolbar bookmarked. :-°
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Pochucker » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:36 pm

Heres another interestinf one!

http://melnickandgrecofantasysports.com/
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby The Cow » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:42 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:Don't forget FantasyBaseballExpress.com -- that place is loaded with free stuff. A big big draft guide with projections and strategies and what not, plus a nice set of podcasts. I not only have it bookmarked, but I have it toolbar bookmarked. :-°

Thats a nice free draft kit. Gives you more info than other free draft kits. Probably as much info as many pay draft kits. Worth a look. I think you mentioned it in another thread Boomer. Thanks.

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby High Heater » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:32 pm

no mention of http://www.minorleagueball.com <--- sickels is the man ;-D
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby izzolizzo » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:15 am

;-D
Last edited by izzolizzo on Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
izzolizzo
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers