Cafe Bums- Last Place
LukeW9027
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2008 Baseball Games

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:46 am

I played both MLB 08: The Show and The Bigs for the first time at a friends house yesterday.

The Show was alright. It was probably better than 2K8, but still definitely not at the level of MVP.

The Bigs was a very crappy version of MLB Slugfest, which was actually kind of fun. This one just wasn't.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cardsfan1 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:17 am

commence8 wrote:Maybe I'm showing my age a bit, but you all can't forget the father of all baseball games...

RBI BASEBALL for the Nintendo

I'll still catch myself playing that game on Nesticle for kicks...but nobody has ever beaten me at that game :-)

I agree RBI was good, but Baseball Stars rocked
cardsfan1
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:28 pm

Now that MLB2k8 has been traded in I am renting Power Pro's for Wii. Pretty fun for such a goofy game
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby DaShiz23 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:03 pm

MLB2K8 for the PS3 is a great game to play Online. Unfortunately, everyone is the Tigers or the Yankees. It still is nice to beat those teams with my Cubbies tho! ;-D ;-D
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 67)

Postby CrashOverrid3 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:14 pm

It's funny how so many people jump on bandwagons huh

lol
*I created this sig
CrashOverrid3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jfg » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:13 pm

Kind of late to the party, but these 08 baseball games stink. Absolutely stink. I graduated past MVP:PC last year with MLB2K7 (on classic controls) which I liked but 2K8 is no good. The controls seem the same once you adjust it right, but the game doesn't feel the same and it's not as fun. It's really disappointing, it took so many years for a console baseball game to be great like MVP and then a few more years for a game to come near to that and now it seems like it's taken another step backward.

I really don't the pro control stuff. The analog sticks do not make me feel like I'm swinging a bat or a golf club. I'll buy a Wii if I don't want to push buttons. :-t
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 85)

Postby Russell James » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:50 am

I was also an MVP Baseball freak and was sad when they lost it. In a recent interview EA said that they were going to try and get baseball back.

2K8 sucks bad in my opinion. Real Bad. I thought the frame rates sucked and I didn't like the gameplay.

Perhaps the reason for my dislike for this game is due to how much I enjoyed The Show. The Show is the best baseball game since MVP, although it is not as good as MVP was. Thankfully, I rented 2K8 before I bought it and shortly after I sent it back and bought The Show 08 for my PS2 (don't have a PS3 since I don't want to spend $500) which was a downgrade from my 360.

Some of the Classics that I enjoyed:

Bad News Baseball, Bases Loaded and Baseball Stars. The original MLB Baseball for the NES was a decent first for me. My all-time favorite was Bad News Baseball.
Russell James
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:03 am

i have the show 08 for ps2. its pretty fun, but there are some things i still dont like. the entire fielding/throwing aspect is very weak to me. i feel like i have very limited control with it. i enjoy the pitching from behind the mound. seems very realistic, and the hitting is slightly above average. all that being said, i have enjoyed playing it so thats all that matters.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Russell James » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:08 pm

I haven't played the PS3 version, but I did not like some of the changes they made it The Show this year. One was the plate coverage. The pitcher grooves one right down the middle and the plate coverage locks in on the lower zone which makes me pop the ball up. Been a little frustrating.

I've also had some problems hitting homeruns in it. Been hitting quite a few doubles, but have been able to flash alot of great power.

I'm also not to crazy about their fielding or baserunning.

Really the career mode is what makes it so much fun for me, outside of that the game is very average.
Russell James
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games