2008 Baseball Games - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Video Games

2008 Baseball Games

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2008 Baseball Games

Postby zepfan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:22 pm

commence8 wrote:Maybe I'm showing my age a bit, but you all can't forget the father of all baseball games...

RBI BASEBALL for the Nintendo

I'll still catch myself playing that game on Nesticle for kicks...but nobody has ever beaten me at that game :-)

I spent many hours playing that one myself. :-D Honestly though, once Baseball Stars came out for NES, there was no competition. Before that though, I would agree that RBI prolly is the grandpappy of them all. :-b

"My cat's breath smells like cat food." - R. Wiggum
zepfan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Brandaddy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:56 pm

I just bought MLB 2k8 for 360 and I'm pretty disappointed in what 2k gave us this year. Sure, we got a new interface but the overall game remains the same and a lot of the bugs are still present. Pretty much nothing new in the game, in fact, it's taken a step back because the frame rate is all over the place.

I'm really unhappy, so I'll leave it at that.

MVP 05 is still my favorite baseball game asell, got it for Gamecube and its the only reason I still have the cube.
I love my Diamondbacks!
Brandaddy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby commence8 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:15 pm

Brandaddy wrote:I just bought MLB 2k8 for 360 and I'm pretty disappointed in what 2k gave us this year. Sure, we got a new interface but the overall game remains the same and a lot of the bugs are still present. Pretty much nothing new in the game, in fact, it's taken a step back because the frame rate is all over the place.

MVP 05 is still my favorite baseball game asell, got it for Gamecube and its the only reason I still have the cube.

That's disappointing to say the least. Do you know if the PS3 version is any better? I'll agree that MVP 05' is the best.
Will always help in return (leave a link to your question in response)
commence8
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MasterX1918 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:19 pm

commence8 wrote:
Brandaddy wrote:I just bought MLB 2k8 for 360 and I'm pretty disappointed in what 2k gave us this year. Sure, we got a new interface but the overall game remains the same and a lot of the bugs are still present. Pretty much nothing new in the game, in fact, it's taken a step back because the frame rate is all over the place.

That's disappointing to say the least. Do you know if the PS3 version is any better? I'll agree that MVP 05' is the best.

from what I heard the PS3 is worse. I guess the graphics lag on it for some reason and it has frame rate issues. Just buy The Show, you'll be more satisfied as a baseball fan. Unfortunately for the first time in my life I wish I had a PS3 as MLB 2K8 seems to be a let down, again. I ordered it but I have yet to play it.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:17 pm

commence8 wrote:I'll agree that MVP 05' is the best.

while MVP is the only solution on PC, i can't stand it because of how much easier right handed hitters can hit bombs than the left handers. this is the opposite of the problem that used to plague the High Heat series where the left handers were so easy to hit with. i wonder if baseball games now have addressed this discrepancy.

in one of the HH games, i tried to have go a whole season with tom goodwin with a 1.000 batting average. i would bunt on every try and his incredible speed would always get me a bunt single. i'm not sure if i got the 1.000 avg though.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby teddy ballgame » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:42 pm

I thought the lefty bug was an '04 issue that was fixed in '05.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:57 am

teddy ballgame wrote:I thought the lefty bug was an '04 issue that was fixed in '05.

Yeah, I remember this too. It was really annoying in '04, but the problem seemed to be corrected when '05 came out. :-?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 116)

Postby CrashOverrid3 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:17 am

I got MLB 2K8, and first I would like to say that yes their is some weird frame rates on things, but I have not noticed it to mess my games up yet.

I really like the fact that this years game gives me the options to drive the ball while batting. Yes - I can drive the ball down the line.. hit it into a gap ...etc. This same thing can be said for the computer, and they will do it mercilessly unless you -actually use defense- (drop the outfielders back.. or shift em etc).

The fielding is also a lot smoother in my opinion, and the meter (throwing meter) is pretty cool. It makes it much more realistic, and it will cause errors if you don't learn how to use it. I would also like to point out that their is no miraculous speed burst in this one that allows you to pull of crazy long catches or throws.

The sound track is upgraded..and I know.. not many of you like Joe Morgan, but I think these two do a pretty good job, and some of it is pretty funny, and informational.

Holds are now counted.

I haven't found that I can hit a home run every time.. and I play with the Tigers (Cabrera and Ordonez could murder the ball in 2k7 everytime).

The graphics are improved.. but not terribly different.

The biggest problem I have is with the pitching.. my hand is actually sore. The whole thing about pitching this year is that it is done on the right joystick (you still aim the ball with the left joystick). So this is what happens:

On the right joystick for a Fastball you will hold down until the circle goes as far out as you want it (before it starts to reverse back in on itself). At which point you will then press up and watch the circle go back in, and when it reaches the green in the center you let go. This pitch is fairly easy.. as is the Changeup, but then we have the Slider, Curveball, and any other pitch with movement that takes much more precision.

The Slider and the Curve are pitches that got some pitchers to where they are.. so for example.. I use Justin Verlander, he uses his 12-6 Curveball as his devastating pitch.. to do this pitch in game it requires you to start at a diagonal on the joystick (down and to the left) and then rotate it all the way around (almost 360 but not quite). If you mess this up just a little in the movement it will result in what the game labels as a meatball.. and will immediately be crushed for a huge play (HR or otherwise). It is so hard that my hand gets sore.

I am not saying I don't like a challenge, but I simply am not sure I can deal with it (I may have to just go back to the classic A, B, X, Y). Don't get me completely wrong, it is fun when it works good (and I'm sure that's how real pitchers feel lol) but for god sake it is rough lol.

Also they now allow you to make trades for the CPU -EVEN IN FRANCHISE- making it really realistic, and everything else that was good about Franchise is back and expanded a bit more.

They also added a cool Baseball card thing like Madden had back in the old days.

AND if you want to be hardcore you can play and manage the A, AA, AAA and MLB teams. That's right.. you can play and manage all of this.
*I created this sig
CrashOverrid3
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:12 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:I thought the lefty bug was an '04 issue that was fixed in '05.

Yeah, I remember this too. It was really annoying in '04, but the problem seemed to be corrected when '05 came out. :-?

nah, it wasn't as bad as 04, but it wasn't fully fixed.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby DaShiz23 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:22 pm

triple play was the shizzle

;-D
DaShiz23
General Manager
General Manager