The best thing to come out of the A-rod trade - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The best thing to come out of the A-rod trade

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The best thing to come out of the A-rod trade

Postby Freebird27 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:06 pm

The TV and airwaves are finally flooded with Baseball Talk! I've been feeling like a kid the week before Christmas since the superbowl...its about time we hear some baseball talk on the talk radio and ESPN!

Now...on the A-rod trade...Im a So-Cal Baseball fan so I have no love for the Yanks and was not happy about the pinstripes grabbing yet another stud. However, I was sort of pulling for the Sox to do the deal for Arod in Jan...At that time I was of the thinking that with the additions of Schills and Foulke that the Sox were even or even slightly better than the Yanks....so why was it ok for the Sox to get A-rod, and not the Yanks? in Retrospect, I was definately being biased against a strong franchise who wins too often for my taste...but after looking at it, it doesnt make sense...just a thought

I really dont think this move is THAT much of an improvement for the Yanks anyways...Instead of

Boone and Soriano..they end up with A-rod and some scrub at 2nd (for now anyways)...Soriano is possbily a 40/40 guy and now they have Arod...a 50/20 with a higher avg of course...Am I wrong in how I am looking at this?
Freebird27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ondeckb » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:31 pm

I think you're right...and I think Soriano might have the better season to boot.
"Ninety feet between bases is the closest man has ever come to perfection"
ondeckb
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Rage » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:52 pm

I fail to see how the Yankees get "the last laugh on the Red Sox." maybe I'm just missing something here. The Yankees just gave up THE BEST 2B'man in baseball-HANDS-DOWN...and possibly the only player in the MLB with true 40/40 potential (besides maybe Beltran if he inproves his power) in exchange for, yes, the best SS in baseball and a guy who is neck-and-neck with Pujols for the best player in baseball.

In reality, they plugged up one hole and created another and in turn, increased their payroll with a guy who is 5 years older than a player, who may eventually put numbers up comparible to AROD in Soriano. In my opinion, Soriano might end up with the better career if you factor his speed.

They got the 1st or 2nd best player in exchange for the 4th or 5th best player in MLB...BIG WOOPIE. What an improvement, start selling post season tickets in New York.

The Red Sox got the 3rd of 4th best closer in baseball (Foulke) for virtually peanuts. They got the 1st or 2nd best SP (Schilling) in baseball for another handfull of peanuts.

Sure, the Yankees got Kevin Brown but Brown isn't Curt Schilling and the Spankees lost Pettitte and Clemens.

Rage
Rage
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Siege1386 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:59 pm

Soriano is the best fantasy 2b in baseball, but he is by no means the best 2b in baseball. Strikes out too much and is not good on defense. Say what you want though. I prefer to let the season do the talking.
Help me out by making a [url=http://www.fsworld.net/modules/donations/]Donation[/url] or [url=http://www.fsworld.net/register.php]Registering[/url] for my website

Siege1386
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby baseball genius » Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:14 pm

I think that this trade has been blown out of proportion. I do think the Yankees got the better end of the deal but it's not like the Red Sox have no chance. I believe the Red Sox still have a very good chance to win the AL east because of their pitching.

By the way GO TIGERS!!!!!

Detroit Tigers 2004 World Series Champions
baseball genius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: The best thing to come out of the A-rod trade

Postby blankman » Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:00 am

Freebird27 wrote:I really dont think this move is THAT much of an improvement for the Yanks anyways...Instead of Boone and Soriano..they end up with A-rod and some scrub at 2nd (for now anyways)...Soriano is possbily a 40/40 guy and now they have Arod...a 50/20 with a higher avg of course...

Am I wrong in how I am looking at this?

Yes I think you are wrong in looking at it, because you are neglecting that Boone IS hurt and there is nothing that can be done about it. Sure you can say Boone and Soriano would be better, but its not possible so you can't even consider it.

The actual scenario is:
Soriano and a scrub at 3B
vs
A-Rod and a scrub at 2B

In which case the A-Rod side clearly wins and the Yankees thus "win" in the deal.

When/if Boone comes back, the Yankees still have the better side of the deal with Boone and A-Rod, which is better both offensively and defensively over Boone Soriano.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby HOOTIE » Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:15 am

Rage wrote: The Yankees just gave up THE BEST 2B'man in baseball-HANDS-DOWN...

In my opinion, Soriano might end up with the better career if you factor his speed.

They got the 1st or 2nd best player in exchange for the 4th or 5th best player in MLB...BIG WOOPIE. What an improvement, start selling post season tickets in New York.

Boone is, and has been the last 3 years, the best 2b in bb, hands down. I can show you why if you like?

Soriano has 0 chance of beating Arod career wise. Arod at 20, was putting up far better numbers then Soriano at 25.

Soriano in real life isn't close to a top 5 player. More like 20 - 25.

Sb are overrated. 40/40 is even more overrated. You can't equate 1 hr to 1 sb. Plus you completely ignore caught stealing. In Vlads and Sorianos near 40/40 years, but guys killed their team running.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Re: The best thing to come out of the A-rod trade

Postby Freebird27 » Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:42 am

blankman wrote:
Freebird27 wrote:I really dont think this move is THAT much of an improvement for the Yanks anyways...Instead of Boone and Soriano..they end up with A-rod and some scrub at 2nd (for now anyways)...Soriano is possbily a 40/40 guy and now they have Arod...a 50/20 with a higher avg of course...

Am I wrong in how I am looking at this?

Yes I think you are wrong in looking at it, because you are neglecting that Boone IS hurt and there is nothing that can be done about it. Sure you can say Boone and Soriano would be better, but its not possible so you can't even consider it.

I was more comparing the teams from the end of last season to now..as far as overall improvement goes.
Freebird27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers