Slow Auction Set Up Help PLEASE!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Slow Auction Set Up Help PLEASE!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Slow Auction Set Up Help PLEASE!!!

Postby Little Johnny » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:00 pm

My league finally has agreed to go to an auction draft format this year. We would all like to do a slow auction over a period of a few weeks. Can anyone tell me how this actually works or steer me to a site that I could get some info from? I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Johnny ;-D
Little Johnny Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Slow Auction Set Up Help PLEASE!!!

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:09 pm

the way i'm doing the slow auction in the league i commish this year is on http://www.proboards.com

you can set up a free message board, then every day we have each team nominate a new player in its own thread, managers respond to each thread with their bids and after a player goes 24 without a bid, the player is won by the manager with the high bid...its very easy to keep track of as the each thread shows the last person and the time at which the last bid was made...if you need anything else explained let me know
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Little Johnny » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:12 pm

Thanks much, GiantsFan!! I appreciate it!

Johnny ;-D
Little Johnny Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby in10s » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:29 pm

While there are sites for slow drafts on line, there are no sites for slow baseball auctions. So the only way to do it is how GiantsFan suggested. You could probably even do it here on the cafe, there is a spot where a league can set up their own forum.

Not sure if Proboards can be set up so that everyone can watch but only your league members can post, but if so, how about posting a URL of your auction once it gets going so we could watch and see how the forum based slow auction is going?
in10s
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:37 pm

i'm in a similar slow auction on the cafe where new players are introduced 3 times a week rather than daily (MWF)

follow this link if you wanna check it out and see how its done...

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=237
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby in10s » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:08 pm

GiantsFan, thanks for the pointer to your auction!

There are so many different ways a slow auction could be done. For example you could have a fixed auction end time (ebay style) vs what you did ending after 24 hours of no bids. I do think it is better the way you did it. A fixed end really requires people to logon at certain times.

The only problem I see is how long it took. I guess you could always have more nominations at the same time if you wanted to speed it up.

But it is clear this type of thing would work fine.

(Oh and by the way, love your avatar!)
in10s
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Little Johnny » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:54 pm

Doesn't it present a problem if, for example, 3 shortstops are nominated for bid at the same time? What if you have one in mind you really want and at the last minute someone decides to ramp up the bid significantly? Now you don't want to pay as much for him but you've missed out on the other 2 that you may have been interested in otherwise. Is this just part of the deal?

Johnny ;-D
Little Johnny Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:44 am

Little Johnny wrote:Doesn't it present a problem if, for example, 3 shortstops are nominated for bid at the same time? What if you have one in mind you really want and at the last minute someone decides to ramp up the bid significantly? Now you don't want to pay as much for him but you've missed out on the other 2 that you may have been interested in otherwise. Is this just part of the deal?

Johnny ;-D

basically this is part of the deal, it adds a bit of strategy about when you want to bid, you might want to wait for certain players to be won before you bid or you might want to bid before they are won...for example, i really wanted both matsuzaka and felix in one of my leagues but everytime i'd bid on one i'd get outbid on the other, i eventually got it to where i was the high bidder on felix with matsuzaka having a later time stamp, i was able to wait for felix to be won and then bid on matsuzaka...its just a new element of strategy that you have to deal with and i actually quite enjoy it as it takes a bit of planning...there are going to be times like the scenario that you described, where there is just nothing you can do but its actually pretty rare
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

Return to Commissioner's Corner