Better Sleeper Catcher - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Better Sleeper Catcher

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Better Sleeper Catcher

Postby psycho1jau » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:45 pm

Looking over my catcher options for my upcoming draft, there were two young guys that I like a lot; Jarod Saltalamacchia and Geovany Soto. What I'm wondering is, should I target both of them for later round draft picks, focusing on other positions earlier in the draft, or should I grab a solid sure-fire catcher, than pick up one of these two as a backup with upside potential? This is sort of a draft strategy question.
psycho1jau
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Better Sleeper Catcher

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:58 pm

I think it depends on your competition. If they are the type to reach for a hot rookie catcher, then I'd be inclined to grab one of the more solid vets, and maybe grab a sleeper like Carlos Ruiz late.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby High Heater » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:05 pm

i think thats the best strategy to do esp this year with Salty/Towels/Soto all available much later in the draft. fill your other areas of need first before you take a C. i dont think its worth spending a 4th on a guy like Martin when theres a guy like Morneau/Hafner sitting there as well.
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby smoovethug » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:10 pm

Do you start 2 catchers? If not then there is no way I want 2 catchers on my team (unless I'm playing VMart at 1B). My strategy is always to draft catchers late. Most of the time I'll grab whatever catcher is left in the last round. I just don't think its worth it to spend a high draft pick on one of the top tier guys when you can wait for the rest who give you good production and offer some upside. I also wouldn't call Salty, Towles, or Soto sleepers with all the buzz around them. Value picks yes, sleepers no.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby BJSFAN123 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:17 pm

I went after Salty in both of my leagues. I will never draft a catcher in the early rounds.
BJSFAN123
General Manager
General Manager

Postby psycho1jau » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:22 pm

We only start one, but it is 25 man rosters and you have to have a backup for EVERY position. We have a injury reserve rule where we have weekly lineups, but if a guy gets injured mid-week, his reserve can take over for the rest of the week. I figure Salty will be good for 1B & C back up and I figure the upside of both should give me at least one good C and possibly two great ones.
psycho1jau
College Coach
College Coach

Postby J.C.Fighter » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:22 pm

BJSFAN123 wrote:I went after Salty in both of my leagues. I will never draft a catcher in the early rounds.

Be aware that Gerald Laird is going to take some AB's from him.
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:23 pm

smoovethug wrote:Do you start 2 catchers? If not then there is no way I want 2 catchers on my team (unless I'm playing VMart at 1B). My strategy is always to draft catchers late. Most of the time I'll grab whatever catcher is left in the last round. I just don't think its worth it to spend a high draft pick on one of the top tier guys when you can wait for the rest who give you good production and offer some upside. I also wouldn't call Salty, Towles, or Soto sleepers with all the buzz around them. Value picks yes, sleepers no.

Ditto. not worth it to grab a catcher early on. I usually wait until one of the last 2-3 rounds to grab my catcher unless I notice that everyone else in my league has taken theirs, then I wait until the last round altogether. I've been able to take Varitek, Pudge, Ramon Hernandez and Pierzynski all in the late rounds. Outside of Pudge, the other three all give you some pop and some RBI's.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby LostInTheSauce » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:26 pm

I was under the assumption Salty would play C, 1st and maybe even DH on occasion. I drafted him late in the hopes of having a Josh Willingham (several years ago) type who qualified at C but played everyday.
LostInTheSauce
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby psycho1jau » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:31 pm

Also, it's a 16 team league so we're going to be going pretty deep on starters and especially on reserves.
psycho1jau
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers