100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Shortstop is a Mess...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Shortstop is a Mess...

Postby Ender » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:28 am

J.C.Fighter wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:the position that is a mess in my opinion is 3b.

Wow - funny that I think 3B is one of the easiest positions to wait on and get a decent value later in the draft, with Gordon, Fields, Encarnacion, and Kouzmanoff all going after the 12th round. I don't see those types of players at SS.

Exactly! Hank Blalock fits in that group aswell...

If Fields or Blalock are your starting 3B you are already in trouble. 3B falls off very fast after round 3 and the 4-6 round options are shaky at best (zimmerman and Larry Jones). There is some value to be had in the 8-12 range but for me I take pitching in those rounds so it is hard for me to grab a 3B in there. The late round options for 3B are broken down old guys, guys without a full time job and guys who I don't like so for me I'll grab a 3B early. 2B and SS have a buttload of ok guys who go from round 12 to 18 so even if I wait on them I get some servicable guy who is likely to play the full year and not be useless.

It all depends on the context of your league of course. In a 12 team yahoo default league everything has depth. For my money in a 14 team league with CI/MI I don't like the late round options at CI so I feel 3B and even 1B are top heavy this year. MI is extremely deep, sure a lot of the players aren't great but if you don't get a top end guys there is an almost endless supply of 'ok' guys.
Last edited by Ender on Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby gatorgreenwell » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:44 am

If you miss out on some shortstops that you were targeting, you'll do well for yourself if you can grab Yunel Escobar.
gatorgreenwell
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:49 am

Bloody Sox wrote:

Wow - funny that I think 3B is one of the easiest positions to wait on and get a decent value later in the draft, with Gordon, Fields, Encarnacion, and Kouzmanoff all going after the 12th round. I don't see those types of players at SS.

See, I think after ARam and Atkins, 3B falls off pretty quickly. Don't know that I would want Chipper, Figgins, or any of the guys you have listed here as my starting 3B. If anything I'm grabbing one of the big three in the first round or hoping to grab either of Atkins or ARam in the 3rd/4th round. I'll wait on my 2B and SS if I have to.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:55 am

RedSoxNation04 wrote:
Bloody Sox wrote:

See, I think after ARam and Atkins, 3B falls off pretty quickly. Don't know that I would want Chipper, Figgins, or any of the guys you have listed here as my starting 3B. If anything I'm grabbing one of the big three in the first round or hoping to grab either of Atkins or ARam in the 3rd/4th round. I'll wait on my 2B and SS if I have to.

Yeah, if you put it in the context of who my starting 3B/SS will be, I guess I can agree with that. I just see a lot more upside/breakout options at 3B after the Top 12 that could be used in a CI or Utility role and who could develop into a starter. Plus, I like the second tier of 3B (Braun, Aramis, Atkins) MUCH more than the second tier of SS (Jeter, Tulo, Tejada).
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Amazing Oopah » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:30 pm

in a keeper league I've had the same issue with SS. Since all the top tier guys have been kept, I've had to draft Lugo, Escobar and Theriot in the late rounds to fill out my SS, MI, and UTIL slots, while at the same time hoping I'll strike lightning with one of them this season.
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Sid Bream's Slide » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:38 pm

Amazing Oopah wrote:in a keeper league I've had the same issue with SS. Since all the top tier guys have been kept, I've had to draft Lugo, Escobar and Theriot in the late rounds to fill out my SS, MI, and UTIL slots, while at the same time hoping I'll strike lightning with one of them this season.

Of those 3, I think Escobar's the only one with potential to strike lightning in a keeper league.
Sid Bream's Slide
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby mtarail » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:23 pm

Yoda wrote:I would be comfortable with Furcal as my top SS. I think he is in for a big bounce back season.

I agree with that. If you don't get one of those top guys I really wouldn't be too worried with Peralta or Hardy either.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers