Shortstop is a Mess... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Shortstop is a Mess...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Shortstop is a Mess...

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:59 pm

Hardy is being underrated. I also like Aaron Hill. He qualifies at SS and 2B.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:47 pm

RyanK wrote:I dont know why you wouldnt want Renteria... hes 31 and last year was the first year he missed significant time

he should be at least .300-100-10-75-10 at least

If Renteria bats 7th, as projected, he'll never score 100 runs. Put it down more as 80.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:50 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:Hardy is being underrated. I also like Aaron Hill. He qualifies at SS and 2B.

Hill projects down with that 4th tier according to the composite projections. Another guy with some upside, I would agree.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:59 pm

SS isn't so much a mess, but I think besides the "Big 3", there's quite a dropoff in the tiers. Tulowitzki has the best raw upside to emerge as an elite SS and you have steadier options in Jeter, Tejada, and Guillen who don't quite have the additional raw upside of a Tulowitzki.

That said, I don't mind Furcal as my fallback SS. He's healthier entering Spring Training and there's a good deal of upbeat news around camp that he'll return to form. I wouldn't mind Renteria either but I'd temper my expectations with his runs scored as well, given that Polanco is probably going to be entrenched in the two-hole and Renteria would probably hit 6th/7th.

I also like JJ Hardy if he's regarded a 5th tier option and has the best upside to ascend to the 3rd tier.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Bloody Sox » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:25 pm

Old_Style wrote:
Tier 4: Greene, Renteria, Cabrera (I don't want any of these guys as my starting SS)

Why wouldn't you want Renteria?

Why??? 2005. His only year in the AL was a complete disaster. I watched it 162 times in a row.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Bloody Sox » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:39 pm

Field wrote:I don't see it as a mess. It seems more like a tale of two different plateaus. There's 3 elite players and then a slew of guys who are pretty similar in value. If I don't grab any of the tier 1 players I'll certainly wait a real long time to grab my SS. I don't see any real advantage grabbing Tulo or Jeter in the 4th round at all.

Admittedly, some of my opinion is based on my particular circumstance, where Guillen and Tulo are both being kept and I'd have to trade up to get one of the Top 3. Aside from those 5 guys, I feel like I either need to reach for guys because they are overvalued or that I just simply don't like them. And there just doesn't seem to be much depth at all. Unlike 3B where there are about 5-6 guys I wouldn't mind taking in Rounds 8-15.

Maybe I need to re-evaluate my bias against Greene - he always seemed to be overhyped and didn't reach expectations, but he did have a good year last year. I think I may look at him or Drew.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:43 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:
Field wrote:I don't see it as a mess. It seems more like a tale of two different plateaus. There's 3 elite players and then a slew of guys who are pretty similar in value. If I don't grab any of the tier 1 players I'll certainly wait a real long time to grab my SS. I don't see any real advantage grabbing Tulo or Jeter in the 4th round at all.

Admittedly, some of my opinion is based on my particular circumstance, where Guillen and Tulo are both being kept and I'd have to trade up to get one of the Top 3. Aside from those 5 guys, I feel like I either need to reach for guys because they are overvalued or that I just simply don't like them. And there just doesn't seem to be much depth at all. Unlike 3B where there are about 5-6 guys I wouldn't mind taking in Rounds 8-15.

Maybe I need to re-evaluate my bias against Greene - he always seemed to be overhyped and didn't reach expectations, but he did have a good year last year. I think I may look at him or Drew.

Look at Greene's home/road splits. He's a very good choice to platoon with someone if you have the roster flexibility.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:33 pm

In most of my mocks, if I didn't get Hanley in round 1, I waited until the 11th-14th rounds to grab either Hardy or Greene. Both will put up solid numbers and hopefully be more consistent this year than last. I've also been trying to grab Drew later on if he's still there as I think he will improve on his numbers from last year.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby J.C.Fighter » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:45 pm

RedSoxNation04 wrote:In most of my mocks, if I didn't get Hanley in round 1, I waited until the 11th-14th rounds to grab either Hardy or Greene. Both will put up solid numbers and hopefully be more consistent this year than last. I've also been trying to grab Drew later on if he's still there as I think he will improve on his numbers from last year.

The thing with Khalil is that there's time during the season where he pretty much becomes WW material.
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers