Slow Draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Slow Draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Slow Draft

Postby howie789 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:42 pm

Has anyone been involved in this slow e-mail draft thing? It seems like a great idea- what website can set that up for your league? Lets face it- it seems like in every draft we have had- one or two people miss it due to unexpected circumstances- which in my opinion- screws everything up. For the guys who used it- does it work well?
howie789
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Slow Draft

Postby dooz » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:47 pm

You have to start early and it takes people who will be on the internet consistently. While there may be a couple no-shows in an online live draft, it may be equally difficult to every manager to make their picks. There are slow drafts going here at the cafe and I've also done them at other places (proboards is good). I've never done a draft through email though. Here is the slow draft that we are doing here at the cafe if you want to get an idea. It's actually two drafts, one NL-only league and one AL-only league.

viewforum.php?f=241
dooz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby Eagle Baseball » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:33 pm

I would say to use a site that does drafts. That way there is a time limit to make the pick and if someone fails to make their pick in the allotted time the computer makes it for them. That way you are not waiting around for one or two managers to make their picks. IMO if you use email you could be setting yourself up for a very long drawn out draft where people start to lose interest.
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Field » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:44 pm

Eagle Baseball wrote:I would say to use a site that does drafts. That way there is a time limit to make the pick and if someone fails to make their pick in the allotted time the computer makes it for them. That way you are not waiting around for one or two managers to make their picks. IMO if you use email you could be setting yourself up for a very long drawn out draft where people start to lose interest.

Really? I've never tried a slow draft like that, but I thought email would be the best way. Especially if you are in a league filled with college friends or working professionals who check email several times a day. I guess you would have to hammer home the importance of making your selections as quickly as possible and maybe send a text to the guy who is after you just to let him know. I think if you have a month or more the draft should be able to be completed. I'm interested to hear some other thoughts on this, I might try something like this next year.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby in10s » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:55 pm

try http://www.couchmanagers.com Slow drafts work great there. I've been on a few with others here from the cafe. Mock Draft Central doesn't (I think) have slow drafts, just real time ones.

Now if only someone did slow auctions.... (I know you can do it in a thread, but would love a website to do it!!)
in10s
College Coach
College Coach

Postby couchmanagers » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:01 am

Hmmm. Slow auction drafts. I like that idea too.
Free Fantasy Football & Baseball Mock Drafts - CouchManagers.com
couchmanagers
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Snakes Gould » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:08 am

yeah couchmanagers is good for a slow draft with a time limit, as is the cafe.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby AllDay » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:36 am

Sandbox used to offer slow live drafts online - but I havent' used them since they became a pay site years ago.
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Jiu » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:46 am

Fanstar offers slow drafts. You can set the draft timer to whatever you want.
Jiu
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:09 am

howie789 wrote:Has anyone been involved in this slow e-mail draft thing? It seems like a great idea- what website can set that up for your league? Lets face it- it seems like in every draft we have had- one or two people miss it due to unexpected circumstances- which in my opinion- screws everything up. For the guys who used it- does it work well?

I've participated in straight email drafts a few times, it gets completed appropriately provided that people send in lists if they can't pick and most have near constant access to their email, whether by PDA or on their work computer. If you can have that, you can knock the time between picks down to 6 hours on weekdays, expand it on weekends, and it should run pretty smoothly.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers