Beer suggestions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Beer suggestions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Beer suggestions

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:09 pm

Fireball Express wrote:FSC is always on at least 1 of the 15 or so TVs in the place. They always put on what I want if I ask.

Thing is the Premiership games start as early as 4am here and as late as 9:15 on the weekends. Some bars/pubs don't open that early except for those British pubs that serve breakfast and have a loyal soccer fan base that will wake up early to watch them. I don't think the Yard House here does, but there's an Irish pub nearer to the Long Beach Aquarium called the Auld Dubliner that does.

Another thing is that the marquee games are on Setanta Sports and not on FSC (the bulk of Man United games air on Setanta). I don't have DirecTV or Dish Network at home and it costs a bundle methinks just to have Setanta on my cable package. Not all of them have GolTV either. Thankfully, there are a few local pubs that have all that and the atmosphere.

Fireball Express wrote:Funny place though. I see so many people ordering Bud Lights, There's a lot of hard alcohol getting poured there too. The girls love those fancy martinis (and I love to buy them a few }:-) ). Personally, I drink a few Chimays, then maybe something like a Hoe, then finish off with a Black and Tan or a variety of such. Basically though, I think there's something for everyone there. One of the best conversation starters is asking someone what they are drinking. Or better yet, try to guess what they are drinking.

Beer list for those who may be interested.
http://www.yardhouse.com/files/beer_menu_12.pdf

The Yard House I go to is on Shoreline Village and there's a nice outside area where you can get a good ocean view. ;-D

No surprise to see folks at the Yard House just drink your typical domestic macros, but I find it funnier to find those kind of people drinking the same old Bud Light at a beer geek's bar such as Naja's Place.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 674)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Steve-o » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:59 pm

That's not a bad bottle list. I've never had a beer float.

I'll be here tomorrow. Yes. 28 gorgeous taps, including Oaked Bastard, Aventinus, DFH 90, and Cantillion. I am salivating as I type this.

Plus they have about 50 bottles. Including Vertical Epic `06, which is worth almost whatever price you have to pay for it.

You know, for as much as I like "good" beer, there is nothing better than sitting at a baseball game and having a bud light. It just screams americana to me and it's one of my favorite beer experiences.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby quiksilver » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:36 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:True. We're spoiled here in California. We have Sierra Nevada, North Coast, Lost Abbey, and Russian River to name a few up north and closer to home, we have Stone and Alesmith in San Diego. Every now and then in the L.A. area, you'll see beer meccas that import Trappist ales and sometimes other U.S. regional microbrews. I've probably raved about my favorite drinking spot called Naja's Place in the South Bay: 75+ taps and 100+ kinds of bottles. :-L

No kidding right. I live down the street from the Sierra Nevada brewery. Add in Lost Coast (Great White Ale), Lagunitas, and Anchor Brewing in SF - plus you've got Pyramid in Washington, Widmer in Oregon, etc etc... the Pacific is a beer powerhouse!
quiksilver
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:09 pm

quiksilver wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:True. We're spoiled here in California. We have Sierra Nevada, North Coast, Lost Abbey, and Russian River to name a few up north and closer to home, we have Stone and Alesmith in San Diego. Every now and then in the L.A. area, you'll see beer meccas that import Trappist ales and sometimes other U.S. regional microbrews. I've probably raved about my favorite drinking spot called Naja's Place in the South Bay: 75+ taps and 100+ kinds of bottles. :-L

No kidding right. I live down the street from the Sierra Nevada brewery. Add in Lost Coast (Great White Ale), Lagunitas, and Anchor Brewing in SF - plus you've got Pyramid in Washington, Widmer in Oregon, etc etc... the Pacific is a beer powerhouse!

Ah, you live in Chico then? Nice. I once had seen a Huell Howser episode of Road Trip where he visited Chico and in particular, the Sierra Nevada brewery. Man, must be sweet to land a job there. ;-D

Steve-o wrote:I'll be here tomorrow. Yes. 28 gorgeous taps, including Oaked Bastard, Aventinus, DFH 90, and Cantillion. I am salivating as I type this.

Plus they have about 50 bottles. Including Vertical Epic `06, which is worth almost whatever price you have to pay for it.

Some good stuff on tap there. Solid Californian brews there too.

You're right about the bottles. Excellent selection. I love the Alesmith Old Numbskull, Rochefort 10, and Dogfish Head Stout. I see Cantillion is also there, but the only beer I've tried from them was the Rose de Gambrinus.

Here's my favorite drinking spot when I want a premium beer:

http://www.najasplace.com/default.asp

The Daily Pint in Santa Monica and Lucky Baldwin's in Pasadena are quite good, but this place is closest to home and being from the South Bay, I'd want to avoid driving across town for a brewski.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ironman » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:58 pm

Speaking of California beer I've enjoyed some Anderson Valley brews, notably their IPA and their Winter Solstice.

Huell Howser at Sierra Nevada? I haven't seen it but I bet it went something like this.

Huell Howser wrote:So, you make all the beer right in here in this very room? That's Amaaa-zing!

:-b
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:56 pm

ironman wrote:Speaking of California beer I've enjoyed some Anderson Valley brews, notably their IPA and their Winter Solstice.

Huell Howser at Sierra Nevada? I haven't seen it but I bet it went something like this.

Huell Howser wrote:So, you make all the beer right in here in this very room? That's Amaaa-zing!

:-b

Yup, basically that's how it had gone, only with more WOWWWWWWWWW's.

Huell also interviewed some chemical engineers at Sierra Nevada that tested the acidity of the beer and he said in a nutshell:

Huell Howser wrote:So, you're chemical engineers working in a brewery? Wowwwww!

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:03 am

Fireball Express wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:if you can get em. FL sucks for micros

Not sure where you are in Florida. Check out Total Wine if there's a location near you. My fridge is totally stocked with a nice variety of micros and imports courtesy of Total Wine.

really? They have on close to me, I am going to have to go check it out. Thanks bro ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:20 pm

A couple off the list:

Fuller's ESB
Goose Island IPA
Weihenstephan Hefe
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:24 pm

I'm in the mood to shell out $100 on a 6-pack of Westvleteren 12 like I did on Christmas. :-B

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby Neal Sandman » Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:32 pm

I would not leave without trying:

Pilsner Urquell
Bitburger Pilsner
Spaten Optimator ;-D
Dinkel Ackel Pils
Neal Sandman
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor