100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Beer suggestions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Beer suggestions

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:51 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
Rotundor wrote:sorry, my canadian beer pretention just kicked in...I still think American beer isn't all that great (at least those that you mentioned)

American macros surely aren't, but we have world class microbrew beers here. ;-D

if you can get em. FL sucks for micros

True. We're spoiled here in California. We have Sierra Nevada, North Coast, Lost Abbey, and Russian River to name a few up north and closer to home, we have Stone and Alesmith in San Diego. Every now and then in the L.A. area, you'll see beer meccas that import Trappist ales and sometimes other U.S. regional microbrews. I've probably raved about my favorite drinking spot called Naja's Place in the South Bay: 75+ taps and 100+ kinds of bottles. :-L

Try going to the Cracked Kettle:

http://www.crackedkettle.com

It's a beer store in Amsterdam that sells all kinds of rare European brews, including the most elusive Westvleteren 12. :-L

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:36 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:American macros surely aren't, but we have world class microbrew beers here. ;-D

if you can get em. FL sucks for micros

True. We're spoiled here in California. We have Sierra Nevada, North Coast, Lost Abbey, and Russian River to name a few up north and closer to home, we have Stone and Alesmith in San Diego. Every now and then in the L.A. area, you'll see beer meccas that import Trappist ales and sometimes other U.S. regional microbrews. I've probably raved about my favorite drinking spot called Naja's Place in the South Bay: 75+ taps and 100+ kinds of bottles. :-L

It's a beer store in Amsterdam that sells all kinds of rare European brews, including the most elusive Westvleteren 12. :-L

Sierra Nevada is the bomb. I love IPAs and Stone is probably one of my favorite microbrews. ;-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Fireball Express » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:28 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:if you can get em. FL sucks for micros

Not sure where you are in Florida. Check out Total Wine if there's a location near you. My fridge is totally stocked with a nice variety of micros and imports courtesy of Total Wine.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:37 pm

Yoda wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:if you can get em. FL sucks for micros

Sierra Nevada is the bomb. I love IPAs and Stone is probably one of my favorite microbrews. ;-D

I love Sierra Nevada for the Celebration and Bigfoot Ales. They make a pretty good stout and porter but I've had better.

Stone arguably makes the best variety of beers around. Arrogant Bastard is a given, but you should feel fortunate if you can get a hold of the Bourbon Barrel Aged Double Bastard, let alone one served in the cask. Wonderful stuff. I also love their Russian Imperial Stout as well as their Ruination IPA and Vertical Epic Ale. ;-D

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:47 pm

I had a Dogfish Head 60 min IPA on Friday. Pretty good.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Steve-o » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:41 am

Just found this thread and it's right up my alley. Not to brag too much, but I bet I've had 90% of the beers on that list.

Here are some comments:

Ayinger Weiss - widely considered one of the top 5 beers in the world for the weiss style. Nice sweetness, very low hops. A summer standby.

Orval - A nice trappist beer. It's a belgian pale ale. Full of a bunch of different flavors.

Trois Pistoles - From Unibroue, just outside of Quebec. Excellent dark beer. Sweet, full of flavor.

Young's double chocolate stout - I actually like Rogue's chocolate stout better. But it's a great beer to pair with dessert.

I have never been a huge fan of Tremens, but if you wanted to show off for friends it's semi-popular to mix Delirium Tremens (a belgian strong ale) and framboise (a sweet raspberry lambic).
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:00 pm

pokerplaya wrote:I had a Dogfish Head 60 min IPA on Friday. Pretty good.

The 90 min & 120 min IPA are fantastic. ;-D

Steve-o wrote:Young's double chocolate stout - I actually like Rogue's chocolate stout better. But it's a great beer to pair with dessert.

I find that most stouts are good with most desserts. It's easy to say it matches with chocolate, but I found myself surprised that a Kentucky cream cake goes very well with an Old Rasputin.

There's also a bar called the Yard House in my neck of the woods that makes a milk shake with Young's chocolate stout. ;-D

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby Fireball Express » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:12 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:There's also a bar called the Yard House in my neck of the woods that makes a milk shake with Young's chocolate stout. ;-D

The Yard House by me is within walking distance. I'm somewhat of a regular there. I walk in and they've already started pouring me a Chimay before I even open my mouth.
Great place to meet people, network and make contacts.
I love the Mac and Cheese there.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:15 pm

Fireball Express wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:There's also a bar called the Yard House in my neck of the woods that makes a milk shake with Young's chocolate stout. ;-D

The Yard House by me is within walking distance. I'm somewhat of a regular there. I walk in and they've already started pouring me a Chimay before I even open my mouth.

There are a few locations in the SoCal area but the nearest one to me is in Long Beach. I don't go to the Yard House as much just because they don't have soccer matchday in the early mornings and because their beer selection is more quantity than quality. Nice they have 100 beers but only 10 of them I'd actually enjoy drinking.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby Fireball Express » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:35 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Fireball Express wrote:

There are a few locations in the SoCal area but the nearest one to me is in Long Beach. I don't go to the Yard House as much just because they don't have soccer matchday in the early mornings and because their beer selection is more quantity than quality. Nice they have 100 beers but only 10 of them I'd actually enjoy drinking.

FSC is always on at least 1 of the 15 or so TVs in the place. They always put on what I want if I ask.

Funny place though. I see so many people ordering Bud Lights, There's a lot of hard alcohol getting poured there too. The girls love those fancy martinis (and I love to buy them a few }:-) ). Personally, I drink a few Chimays, then maybe something like a Hoe, then finish off with a Black and Tan or a variety of such. Basically though, I think there's something for everyone there. One of the best conversation starters is asking someone what they are drinking. Or better yet, try to guess what they are drinking.

Beer list for those who may be interested.
http://www.yardhouse.com/files/beer_menu_12.pdf
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk