Remove Max Innings? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Remove Max Innings?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Remove Max Innings?

Postby markj11 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:39 pm

A league mate has suggested removing the maximum innings pitched in our roto leaue. I am against doing this but cannot really come up with a good reason beside churning but is that really that bad? What is everyone's opinion on this?
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Remove Max Innings?

Postby number9 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:36 pm

If it's a weekly moves league instead of a daily moves league, then max innings can be removed without worrying about churning.
■■■■■■■■■■■□□□ NOW LOADING

Japanese and Asian hockey, baseball, and whatever else:
http://jhockey.wordpress.com/
number9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MasterX1918 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:37 pm

it stops people from loading up on pitchers and stacking up wins, K's and saves, pretty much dominating those categories with ease since they have 6 starting pitchers pitching every day.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby mtarail » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:42 pm

MasterX1918 wrote:it stops people from loading up on pitchers and stacking up wins, K's and saves, pretty much dominating those categories with ease since they have 6 starting pitchers pitching every day.

Exactly. If you take away max innings you essentially create a race to win 3 of the 5 pitching categories. People will be churning every day to pick up pitchers that have a start in the next day or two. And it's going to make pitching a position where you wouldn't have that much of a reason to draft a pitcher with a high pick, if you know you can just pick up some guy that you would never otherwise draft like Adam Eaton in order to get the win and a few K's, then drop him the next day for the next SP who's gonna get start.
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby XFactah416 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:02 pm

It also encourages people to be reckless with their innings.

Like at the end of the year, teams that were pitching all their guys would end up being in a tough situation because they'd be so over the projected IP limit. It takes away the element of strategy.
XFactah416
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 84)

Postby Grouperman941 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:05 pm

number9 wrote:If it's a weekly moves league instead of a daily moves league, then max innings can be removed without worrying about churning.

My weekly roto league has no limit. It works fine. Sometimes there is a race for 2-start WW pitchers, but so what. If the league is deep, everyone good in on someone's bench anyway.

There is a point of diminishing returns, where the extra Ks and possible Ws are not worth the hit to ERA and WHIP.

In a daily league, you can make up for the high ERA SPs with MRs, so you need the limit.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Matthias » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:49 pm

People won't churn.

A) You can't churn for saves.
B) If you churn to get 1st in Ws and Ks, you're going to take last in ERA and WHIP. That will mean you'll be completely average in the pitching categories.

People might churn at the very end of the season once they're already in the cellar for ERA and WHIP but it's not that big of a concern.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby chillyumpop » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:52 pm

keep the max innings. last year i played on a points league where the manager in third place lost it in the last month because the 4th place guy streamed almost every day to make sure he had an active pitcher.
chillyumpop
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby AllDay » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:57 am

I think you need to keep an innings limit in roto. You could maybe raise it (162 games x 9 innings = 1458 innings) if people feel it is too restrictive - but it becomes difficult to fill much more than 1500 innings with normal rosters. I usually start 4 or 5 RP and a full staff of 5 SP's and still need a bunch of spot starts to hit 1500 innings.
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby markj11 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:03 am

Matthias wrote:People won't churn.

A) You can't churn for saves.
B) If you churn to get 1st in Ws and Ks, you're going to take last in ERA and WHIP. That will mean you'll be completely average in the pitching categories.

People might churn at the very end of the season once they're already in the cellar for ERA and WHIP but it's not that big of a concern.

This is what I was thinking. If someone does start churning they will take a big hit in ERA and WHIP. I guess it will also allow for people to try some different stategies also.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers