Site that lists players BAPIP? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Site that lists players BAPIP?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Site that lists players BAPIP?

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:25 pm

I feel that a player's BAPIP is a good indicator of whether a batter (or pitcher) will improve/regress from previous year's stats...does anyone know of a site that lists players' BAPIP?

Thanks in advance.
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Site that lists players BAPIP?

Postby mbuser » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:18 pm

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/stats/

select 'THT Batting' in the drop-down
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Yoda » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:27 pm

My belief always has been that hitters have much more control over BABIP than pitchers do. Since two different hitters will have different outcomes when thrown the same pitch in the same location. Also explains why superior hitters like Vlad, Soriano, Ichiro will almost always have a high BABIP. Am I correct in thinking this way?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:51 pm

Thanks!

Quick question though...there's a LOT of talk about how Upton's and Magg's AVG should regress this year based on their BAPIP from last year (Upton: MLB leading .393, Maggs 5th: .381). But you don't hear talk about Holliday regressing and he was 6th in BAPIP last year: .377. Thoughts?
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby RAmst23 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:13 pm

BALCO All-Stars wrote:Thanks!

Quick question though...there's a LOT of talk about how Upton's and Magg's AVG should regress this year based on their BAPIP from last year (Upton: MLB leading .393, Maggs 5th: .381). But you don't hear talk about Holliday regressing and he was 6th in BAPIP last year: .377. Thoughts?

If a player can sustain a high BABIP over a number of years then the odds of him regressing are relatively small. Holliday is young, has been approving for several years, and has had a BABIP of .333 and .351 the last two years. It seems like Holliday is joining the group of great hitters that, when they put the bat on the ball, will get hits to a greater degree than the average ML player.

In contrast, Upton does not have a proven record that he can sustain a .390 average on balls in play (almost no one can). Ordonez's is also a huge outlier comapred with his other years, going back from 2006 his BABIP; .315, .312, .291. Ordonez is most likely going to come back to the pack in '08.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby mbuser » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:31 pm

also look for changes in GB/LD/FB percentages -- a spike in LD% always leads to a spike in BABIP

i copy/pasted some batted ball data i found somewhere (i believe from the 2006 season) that blew me away:
GB - .236 AVG/.259 SLG/.236 BABIP
LD - .719 AVG/.948 SLG/.716 BABIP
FB - .265 AVG/.720 SLG/.167 BABIP
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:56 pm

bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Return to Baseball Leftovers