randy johnson, aka the big unit - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

randy johnson, aka the big unit

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

randy johnson, aka the big unit

Postby russellcv » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:13 pm

well, is he comming back this year? he could still be dominant for at least part of the year. i got him off waivers yesterday. why not i figured. what do you all think/ know? :-?
russellcv
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: randy johnson, aka the big unit

Postby Chicago 2 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:23 am

russellcv wrote:well, is he comming back this year? he could still be dominant for at least part of the year. i got him off waivers yesterday. why not i figured. what do you all think/ know? :-?

Heres a little snippet from RJs player notes in Y!:

Feb 17 The Associated Press reports Arizona Diamondbacks SP Randy Johnson looked good throwing off the mound Sunday, Feb. 17, in front of manager Bob Melvin, who said Johnson had good location and appeared to be throwing "free and easy." According to Johnson, the outing went about the same as three earlier bullpen sessions he threw before coming to camp in Tucson. "I'll just do what I'm doing," said Johnson. "I continue to make progress. I'll throw again on Thursday, take three days off and play catch and do all my workouts, and gradually get in to the other little things I'm not doing now. ... The most important thing for me right now is to get on the mound." Johnson is currently not participating in fielding drills.

Hes throwing so that is a good sign and sounds like he should be ready for the start of the season but thats just a guess. If you have a mediocre pitching staff I would have also taken the risk and pick him up, he could reward you, had some good outings last year when he was healthy.
Chicago 2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bologna_sandwich » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:41 pm

Chicago 2 wrote:
russellcv wrote:well, is he comming back this year? he could still be dominant for at least part of the year. i got him off waivers yesterday. why not i figured. what do you all think/ know? :-?

Heres a little snippet from RJs player notes in Y!:

Feb 17 The Associated Press reports Arizona Diamondbacks SP Randy Johnson looked good throwing off the mound Sunday, Feb. 17, in front of manager Bob Melvin, who said Johnson had good location and appeared to be throwing "free and easy." According to Johnson, the outing went about the same as three earlier bullpen sessions he threw before coming to camp in Tucson. "I'll just do what I'm doing," said Johnson. "I continue to make progress. I'll throw again on Thursday, take three days off and play catch and do all my workouts, and gradually get in to the other little things I'm not doing now. ... The most important thing for me right now is to get on the mound." Johnson is currently not participating in fielding drills.

Hes throwing so that is a good sign and sounds like he should be ready for the start of the season but thats just a guess. If you have a mediocre pitching staff I would have also taken the risk and pick him up, he could reward you, had some good outings last year when he was healthy.

WHAT IF YOU DRAFTED LACKEY IN THE 6TH ROUND AND YOU COULD USE A STRIKE OUT GUY LIKE THE UNIT TO HELP UNTIL LACKEY GETS BACK :-o
bologna_sandwich
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:40 am

when he actually pitched last year his numbers were very solid, mostly the K rate. IMO he's worth the flier especially if you have an empty DL spot
FantasyFreak
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Injuries & Player Updates