4 young OFs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

4 young OFs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

4 young OFs

Postby stumpak » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:31 am

I am wondering how people think these 4 young OFs will play out long-term:

Butler - Seems very low risk to be consistent .300/25 guy, but there is no SB contribution. Sort of like Hideki Matsui on a bad team.
C Young - Will he ever kick the BA into gear?
D Young - Maybe the highest fantasy ceiling with BA, HR and SB?
Hamilton - Likewise a high ceiling, but I don't see much more than a dozen SBs/year long-term.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 4 young OFs

Postby sn17 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:38 am

stumpak wrote:I am wondering how people think these 4 young OFs will play out long-term:

Butler - Seems very low risk to be consistent .300/25 guy, but there is no SB contribution. Sort of like Hideki Matsui on a bad team.
C Young - Will he ever kick the BA into gear?
D Young - Maybe the highest fantasy ceiling with BA, HR and SB?
Hamilton - Likewise a high ceiling, but I don't see much more than a dozen SBs/year long-term.

If I was a betting man I would say Chris Young and Delmon Young have the highest and brightest ceilings. They are able to do multiple things to make their teams better. They both can steal bases and they both have the ability to get on base which is huge. I know Chris Young's BA is not that great but he is still very young and it should improve.

Hamilton is a great story but I think we need to see if he can stay healthy. Its to early to tell but we should get a good indication as this season unfolds. Hamilton hits in a great ballpark and could put up some nice numbers as long as he is playing.

I don't know that much on Butler so I'm not going to comment.
sn17
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby JoshExley » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:06 pm

Butler's going to lose OF-eligibility this year. Guy is a DH.
Hamilton is like 27 already I believe, so I wouldn't count him either if you're concerned over youth and ceiling.

C.Young's BA might not ever climb above 280.
And then there's Delmon. What is he? 21? 3 years younger than CYoung, but isn't showing power yet. Tons of GB.

I'd say the Youngs have the highest ceiling and I'd lean towards CBY. Agreed.
JoshExley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby moochman » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:08 pm

the Youngs are the cream, but I admit to being enamored at the prospects of Hamilton this season. He showed real nice powere numbers in 300 abs. If he can play a full season in that Texas yard he might be a real value this season.

Butler has to show more before I can get past his lack of all other skills than hitting.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:30 pm

Delmon, I think, has the potential of being the best overall fantasy player, combining power, speed, and BA. I have serious questions about whether he has the make-up to maximize that potential.

Chris Young is the closest to being there already, but I doubt he ever gets the BA up. Think of him as Mike Cameron, a top player, but never among the elite because of the BA drag and the lack of consistent superior performance in HRs/SBs.

Hamilton is the oldest. I think he's put it together, but he's already at his peak age and unlikely to go much higher.

Butler is being underestimated by everyone. He will, in all liklihood lose OF eligibility, so maybe he does not even belong in this discussion. And he does not ofer any contribution on SBs. However, as a hitter, he's the closest thing to Albert Pujols to come along in the last 5 years. Only Butler among this group, imo, has the skills and the makeup to consistently hit in the mid to high 300s, AND hit 40+ HRs on a consistent basis. I'm not saying he gets there, but he's the only one he has that potential AND the dedication that it takes to get there from where he is, imo. I think it was Sickels who recently said that Butler could become a 350+ hitter who hits 20-30 HRs or a .300 hitter who hits 40+ homers, or, if he puts it all together, could become that .300 hitter with 40+ power that would rank himamong the elite fantasy players. Yes, the only thing he does is hit. But, that's a pretty darn important skill in baseball-in fact, it's the single most important skill for position players!
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby KronJon » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:57 pm

I really like Josh Hamilton this year. He will be hitting either 2nd or 4th in the Texas lineup (a great hitter's ballpark). He had an OPS of .922 last year, and on top of all this, here is a quote from rototimes

Josh Hamilton is putting on a daily show in batting practice according to the official team website. Hamilton has been showing off his pure power by going the opposite way and putting balls on top of the indoor batting cage well beyond the left-field wall during the early stages of spring camp. Washington at one point went into the cage and checked his bat.

With that said, I have drafted two teams so far this year, and Hamilton is my 4th OF in both leagues.

And if all else fails, he makes a great quarterback!

As for Delmon Young, I am not impressed. His OPS was a measly .723. That is 200 points lower than Hamilton's OPS. Granted, he can steal some bases and is so young that his rate stats are bound to go up... but .723 is just ugly. The one plus on him last year is that he played 162 games, which is obviously something that we'd all be shocked to see Hamilton do. But for right now I need to see great improvement before I am comfortable depending on his fantasy production.
KronJon
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:10 pm

KronJon wrote:I really like Josh Hamilton this year. He will be hitting either 2nd or 4th in the Texas lineup (a great hitter's ballpark). He had an OPS of .922 last year, and on top of all this, here is a quote from rototimes

Josh Hamilton is putting on a daily show in batting practice according to the official team website. Hamilton has been showing off his pure power by going the opposite way and putting balls on top of the indoor batting cage well beyond the left-field wall during the early stages of spring camp. Washington at one point went into the cage and checked his bat.

With that said, I have drafted two teams so far this year, and Hamilton is my 4th OF in both leagues.

And if all else fails, he makes a great quarterback!

As for Delmon Young, I am not impressed. His OPS was a measly .723. That is 200 points lower than Hamilton's OPS. Granted, he can steal some bases and is so young that his rate stats are bound to go up... but .723 is just ugly. The one plus on him last year is that he played 162 games, which is obviously something that we'd all be shocked to see Hamilton do. But for right now I need to see great improvement before I am comfortable depending on his fantasy production.

To answer the question, I think DYoung has the most potential to be a consistent elite fantasy player. Of course, we've been hearing about him for so long that I don't know that there is another way to look at him. Having said that, I think he takes another step forward in his development this year and if he can stay out of his own way, he should do very well.

LOVE Hamilton...and like the previous poster stated, I have him targeted in all my drafts as a UT or 4th OF. IF he stays healthy, I think he will put up awesome numbers this year.

Interesting note on Butler is that I think he is being significantly undervalued so far. I've done a number of mocks both on couchmanagers and MDC and on several of them (including 23 rounds) he has gone undrafted.

CB Young = Mike Cameron...absolutely agree on this point. ;-D
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby KronJon » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:18 pm

One more thing to put Delmon Young's .723 OPS into perspective:

Juan Pierre's career OPS is .722

Again, Delmon could raise that 100 points this year and I wouldn't be surprised, but an OPS equal to Juan Pierre's is downright scary.
KronJon
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:31 pm

i owned hamilton part of last yr and he was always going on the DL or banged up and not playing. were his injuries just fluke injuries or is he really injury prone?
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:24 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:Butler is being underestimated by everyone. He will, in all liklihood lose OF eligibility, so maybe he does not even belong in this discussion. And he does not ofer any contribution on SBs. However, as a hitter, he's the closest thing to Albert Pujols to come along in the last 5 years. Only Butler among this group, imo, has the skills and the makeup to consistently hit in the mid to high 300s, AND hit 40+ HRs on a consistent basis. I'm not saying he gets there, but he's the only one he has that potential AND the dedication that it takes to get there from where he is, imo. I think it was Sickels who recently said that Butler could become a 350+ hitter who hits 20-30 HRs or a .300 hitter who hits 40+ homers, or, if he puts it all together, could become that .300 hitter with 40+ power that would rank himamong the elite fantasy players. Yes, the only thing he does is hit. But, that's a pretty darn important skill in baseball-in fact, it's the single most important skill for position players!

I read Sickels' take on Butler too. I think his plate discipline for his age coupled with his frame could set him apart amongst his prospect class for success in the majors. From what I've read, KC want Butler playing 1B/DH and a trip back to the OF is highly unlikely.

Delmon is kind of an enigma given that he didn't match the most reasonable projection for him in '07, but wouldn't want to write him off entirely in Minnesota; he might post a line akin to Corey Hart's '07.

I remember CB Young was compared at the high extreme as a Carlos Beltran type (especially if he can match his minor league career BA), but I also think he resides more like a Mike Cameron peak player.

Hamilton's durability is an issue and although he's an age 27 player, I think his upside is quite up there as Delmon and CB's.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 677)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers