Victorino for Ellsbury Vetoed? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Victorino for Ellsbury Vetoed?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Victorino for Ellsbury Vetoed?

Postby quitesanemax » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:39 am

As a Red Sox fan, I would never pay that much for Ellsbury. He does not even definitely have a starting job. That being said, with the way him and Crisp were doing at the end of last season, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say you believe Ellsbury will get the job. And he will be comparable to Victorino if he does get the starting job. While I see this as a chancy trade by the one who is getting Ellsbury, I don't see it as a trade that should be vetoed. There is no collusion here, and sometimes you have to let people play the game.

All you can do is post on the message board, and try and get reasons from these other teams why they are vetoing the trade. It would be a good idea to explain your reasoning, and ask the other team involved in the trade to explain his reasoning, and go from there.

Good luck!
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby commence8 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:50 am

...If you're looking for a reason to veto the trade (Ellsbury for Victorino), it's "vetoable", as is every trade if you look hard enough. Should it be vetoed...NO.
Will always help in return (leave a link to your question in response)
commence8
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ReeferDave » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:17 am

There are a lot of ellsbury kool aid drinkers out there. I'd take the major league history of Victorino over Ellsbury's "potential" any day. Curtis's Rasmus/Sizemore comparison is spot on.

That said, if it's a keeper league, I'd let it go. Victorino for ellsbury straight up, that is. But as a commish, I'd keep an eye on the team that got the ellsbury side. Too many trades like that from the same owner can kill a league.

reef
ReeferDave
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mission27 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:54 am

Victorino will be much better than Ellsbury next year so if this is not a keeper league I could see a veto. Victorino is a lock for 35 SB and 10-15 HR and over 100 R. Ellsbury doesn't have a starting job for 08 and his performance last year was very unsustainable.
mission27
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby stevethumb » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:58 am

the rasmus for sizemore is a red herring that has nothing in common w/the victorino/ellsbury situation...rasmus has not had an AB above AA and sizemore is an all star...ellsbury has had success at AAA and of course his brief stint in the majors and victorino is hardly an allstar...trades like this shouldn't be vetoed as it is one man's opinion of the qualities of the 2 players and you have to allow him to make the decisions in running his own team..he is obviously trying to improve his team so this is not a veto...BTW, shandler has victorino at $24 and ellsbury at $20 hardly a mandate for veto
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby commence8 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:03 pm

stevethumb wrote:the rasmus for sizemore is a red herring that has nothing in common w/the victorino/ellsbury situation...rasmus has not had an AB above AA and sizemore is an all star...ellsbury has had success at AAA and of course his brief stint in the majors and victorino is hardly an allstar...trades like this shouldn't be vetoed as it is one man's opinion of the qualities of the 2 players and you have to allow him to make the decisions in running his own team..he is obviously trying to improve his team so this is not a veto...BTW, shandler has victorino at $24 and ellsbury at $20 hardly a mandate for veto

Glad to see somebody else who isn't veto-happy. Bottom line is this:

Is it a smart trade? Probably not. Should it be vetoed? No.
commence8
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Curtis Pride » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:22 pm

Move past the "should trades be vetoed" question. That is a completely separate question.

I loathe when people come into threads asking "should this be vetoed" and answer flatly "no" no matter what the issue.

If you accept the premise that this league has decided that they want to allow vetoes THEN should this trade be vetoed. Absolutely yes.

If this were my league, I would not veto the trade - we don't do vetoes unless it is some horrible atrocity.

However, in a league that allows for vetoes of grossly unbalanced trades, this trade should absolutely be vetoed.

Ellsbury had a .740 OPS in AA and hit 10 homers in over 1,000 minor league at bats.

He is Juan Pierre without the track record. Every year there are speedy young outfielders who come out as the next big thing. Remember Joey Gathright?

Ellsbury plays for a high profile team, and did very well in a small sample size on the big stage, so people are being irrational. No way is he worth Victorino in a redraft league.

ABSOLUTELY NO WAY IS HE WORTH VICTORINO AND CUDDYER.
Curtis Pride
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby quitesanemax » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:30 pm

I'd say if we knew that Ellsbury were going to be starting for the Red Sox this year, It would be a tough choice. The fact that this isn't known, and in a league where a veto is allowed for a trade that is obviously one sided, then it is a close call. But I wouldn't veto it. Lets not forget that Victorino is coming off an injury at the end of last season that he never really recovered from. Theres really no way to know whether he will be as good as he was last year with that in mind. Will he have lost some of his speed?
quitesanemax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Sticky Spice » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:57 pm

It's a crooked league that will just cause you anguish for the next seven months.

Do yourself a favor - find another league, quit, and never look back. It's just not worth the drama.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)

Postby commence8 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:50 am

Sticky Spice wrote:It's a crooked league that will just cause you anguish for the next seven months.

Do yourself a favor - find another league, quit, and never look back. It's just not worth the drama.

That's exactly what I said in my first post ;-D
commence8
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Commissioner's Corner