Good Draft Strategy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Good Draft Strategy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Good Draft Strategy?

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:14 am

ahhh, 16" softballs. Or volleyballs? 8-o

I think that focusing on bats is a good idea but I also agree that getting some quality pitchers will help a lot, particularly if a deal is available. Don't pass up a great/ good pitcher just b/c you have a notion to focus on bats.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jermhorse » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:40 am

AcidRock23 wrote:ahhh, 16" softballs. Or volleyballs? 8-o

I think that focusing on bats is a good idea but I also agree that getting some quality pitchers will help a lot, particularly if a deal is available. Don't pass up a great/ good pitcher just b/c you have a notion to focus on bats.

I appreciate the advice. I do tend to be somewhat of an extremist if left to my own devices. I just see offensive production on the decline with all the steroid talk as of late. But pitching catagories are much softer on owners, generally, so there tends to be less of a gap between tiers for pitchers. and much more of a surpluse to choose from also. I'm only talking about roto here... Again, please correct me if I got it all wrong, I'm still learning. O:-)

So maybe you could answer this for me. How many actual roto points will a $30 pitcher get you? and yes it all matters on your league; but just generals. Also another thing that is scary to me is not being able to fill pos. players. When there are so many pitchers out there to mix and match. even Looper is projected to get 80 K's?!? and i see him being available to the very end. I really am interested in learning why some people are saying that they would take santana as early as second round. Where as I would look to fill holes early,ie SS. Love to hear other stratagies. :-)
jermhorse
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hooligan1 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:00 am

I think you can wait. I just partook in a 10 team mock and waited until round 8 to draft my first starter. Then I went five straight SP's and got Matsuzaka, Smoltz, Rich Hill, King Felix and J. Shields. I rounded out my rotation in later rounds with Hudson and Lowe. I then grabbed four straight relievers from rounds 15-18 and wound up with Gregg, Accardo, Broxton and Okajima. Not a bad staff in my estimation. Should have a ton of K's, plenty of wins, good ratios and reasonable saves, although I will need to pick up another actual closer from the WW.
Hooligan1
hooligan1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Uumm, micro-managing my fantasy baseball teams. Where else?

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers