Vladimir Guerrero vs. Carlos Lee? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vladimir Guerrero vs. Carlos Lee?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Vladimir Guerrero vs. Carlos Lee?

Postby eftda » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:56 pm

Why is Vlad being ranked so much higher than Lee? Vlad wins two of the 5 cats but not by much (RBI's and Avg). He's injury prone and is no longer a 5 tool player. Vlad for sure has a higher OPS but in a 5x5 league does that mean 3-5 draft slots higher?
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Vladimir Guerrero vs. Carlos Lee?

Postby Field » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:14 pm

Where have you seen Vlad being ranked much higher than Lee? Both usually go around the same time: mid-2nd to early 3rd round. Vlad may go a few picks earlier, but it's not by much. Vlad's slightly higher ranking is warranted since he should hit about 30 points higher than Carlos while only giving up about 5-7 steals. All of the other categories should be similar.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:38 pm

I have Lee over Vlad in a redraft or a dynasty. By about a pick or two.

Even though I paid $32 for Lee and $33 for VG in an auction, but that's another story :-?
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby TheRock » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:13 am

I think they're being ranked pretty appropriately. I'd still take Vlad for the average and cooler name, but a case could be made for taking Lee over him. Astros got a nice looking lineup cooking.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:51 am

people still take vlad assuming hes going to steal 20-25 bases. its not going to happen.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:32 am

i'm actually very weary of vlad now. seems like he's on a decline and he seems to be aching quite a bit during the season. he's not stealing bases anymore, and his HRs seem to be going down, and i have a strong feeling after this season lee will be ahead of vlad in rankings.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Field » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:00 am

Snakes Gould wrote:people still take vlad assuming hes going to steal 20-25 bases. its not going to happen.

I don't think this is true. If that was the case, he would be picked late first/early second round. I'm somewhat concerned about his health, but his BA and overall ability make him a better pick than Lee.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby KronJon » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:22 pm

Eh, I see them ranked about the same. Yahoo has Vlad at 20 and Lee at 24. That seems about right to me. Last year they were about equal in fantasy value (5th and 6th best OF), so Vlad gets the slight edge due to a better track record.
KronJon
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:09 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:I have Lee over Vlad in a redraft or a dynasty. By about a pick or two.

Even though I paid $32 for Lee and $33 for VG in an auction, but that's another story :-?

I like Lee over Vlad as well and think he will outperform him this year, though each of them should be 2nd round picks. I think Vlad offers a little more avg, but Lee should hit for more power and drive in more runs. The Sb's are a moot point, neither of them is really going to run at all. I
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:33 pm

I think Vlad is ranked a few spots higher than Lee mainly because there's a focus on the stats being quite good despite the lack of protection and for what it's worth, the Angels have bolstered him with Torii Hunter. Vlad had a rather unusual power drought in midseason that pulled down his HR total some, was sidelined because of the triceps problem, and of course, he wasn't getting the lineup support to knock him in consistently.

Vlad's no longer the 5-cat threat and that's a good thing. Not as much reckless baserunning from Vlad and a few DH days here and there could go some way in keeping him healthy and in good form. I don't see his .310, 30 HR, and 120 RBI days as quite over yet.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers