Killer pitching staff!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Killer pitching staff!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Killer pitching staff!!!

Postby ToddMB875 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:26 pm

what do you think? I may have sacraficed a little offense but my pitching I think is going to be hard to beat!

10 team H2H league with the following stats

AB, R, H, 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP

C Mauer
1B Morneau
2b Cano
3b Beltre
ss Cabrera
of Holliday
of Hawpe
of Rowand
ut Thome
bn Loney
bn Polanco
bn Molina
bn Kouzmanoff

Sp Peavy
Sp Bedard
Sp Hamels
Rp Saito
Rp Wagner
P Hoffman
P Snell
P Greinke
DL BJ Ryan
ToddMB875
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Killer pitching staff!!!

Postby Chicago 2 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:48 pm

Killer pitching staff is right. I'm a bit wary of Greinke and Snell though. Only thing is with 10 batting stats vs 5 pitching stats you may regret the fact you targeted pitching instead of hitting when your league is geared towards hitting.

Your hitting isn't that bad actually for how good your pitching staff is though.

You badly need a player that can get lots of triples and doubles like Granderson or Rollins, something along those lines. Also your going to struggle in the steals category, all you really have is Cabrera as your big SB guy(s).

I've personally never been a fan of the at bats stat, its just a very inconsistent category week in and week out and whomever has the most hitters you would think generally wins that category.

I'm curious, what is the minimum inning pitched requirement for your league? Just thinking if its the default (7) I would've just taken all closers/relievers and booted the wins and K's stats and focused on hitting since your league looks to be big on offense. Not anything wrong with how you drafted, if its '7' I might suggest trading off some pitchers for some speedy offensive guys and kinda disregarding your pitching so to speak; however, I'm not too familiar with your leagues stat designations so take what I said with a grain of salt.

Im not overly familiar with the settings but from the looks of it I don't feel your hitting is as bad as you make them seem.

I would drop Molina though at the least.
Chicago 2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ToddMB875 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:04 pm

the league has a 40 inning minimum pitched

true I can trade a stud pitcher for someone speed probably but then again SB is only one catagory

i just couldn't believe these starters were landing in my lap so had to take them and hope I'd somehow manage to put together a competitive offense!
ToddMB875
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ToddMB875 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:11 pm

the other way of looking at it is if I can dominate the 5 pitching catagories then I only have to win 4 of the 10 hitting ones in order to win each week
ToddMB875
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ejay508 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:13 pm

You have your philosophy backwards. The reason why you could build a killer staff in a H2H league is because the teams with the best offenses win. Now there is 5 extra batting cats, dam. I think you fell into a trap an did not adjust to league settings. Sorry dude.

viewtopic.php?t=322669
ejay508
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Chicago 2 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:15 pm

ToddMB875 wrote:the league has a 40 inning minimum pitched

true I can trade a stud pitcher for someone speed probably but then again SB is only one catagory

i just couldn't believe these starters were landing in my lap so had to take them and hope I'd somehow manage to put together a competitive offense!

the other way of looking at it is if I can dominate the 5 pitching catagories then I only have to win 4 of the 10 hitting ones in order to win each week

40 inning minimum, wow, guess I'm kind of surprised with all of the offensive stats. You might even need to add a starter, I generally just do 30, but 5 starters should give you the minimum I would think.

Steals is only one category but generally that speedy player will help you in the triples category too, I can't guarantee anything.

I still would say you don't need Molina because you have a solid catcher in Mauer and it wouldn't necessarily hurt to have a speedy player like Bourn on your bench/lineup etc or maybe even Jerry Owens :-? might just be my 'South Side tongue' speaking lol.

If you can win four pitching categories and four hitting more power to ya ;-D
Chicago 2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ejay508 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:20 pm

ToddMB875 wrote:the other way of looking at it is if I can dominate the 5 pitching catagories then I only have to win 4 of the 10 hitting ones in order to win each week

This will be hard because if you come across a guy like me who will load up on offense than kill you with pitching man games. I will draft like 7 High K pitchers from rounds 7 to 20 and grab 3 closers and beat you in most cats. I will target (Young, SHields, Lincecum, Snell, Gorzelany, Buchholz, Hill etc..) All capable of high K's some wins and may even steal ERA and WHIP some weeks
ejay508
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ToddMB875 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:23 pm

only reason Molina is on the team is an insurance policy in case Mauer gets hurt...descent hitting catchers are hard to come by and I'm sure I probably won't be able to find one on the waiver wire
ToddMB875
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ToddMB875 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:31 pm

normally I have drafted offense first but for this league with a 40 inn min I thought it be best to get reliable starting pitching to start with....I think my offense might be able to take the AB 1b 2b Ave and I don't really see me losing on the pitching side if all stay healthy.
ToddMB875
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ejay508 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:35 pm

ToddMB875 wrote:normally I have drafted offense first but for this league with a 40 inn min I thought it be best to get reliable starting pitching to start with....I think my offense might be able to take the AB 1b 2b Ave and I don't really see me losing on the pitching side if all stay healthy.

I hear what you are saying and I wish you luck but 40 innings a week shouldnt be that hard. Iplay in a league with 25 min and constantly have 60-100 a week as I usually have a stacked offense with 1 bench and loads of pitching. Take a look at thisteam. ALso let me know what you think.

viewtopic.php?t=322669
ejay508
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team