Killer Fish Attacks Britain - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Killer Fish Attacks Britain

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Killer Fish Attacks Britain

Postby Simulacrum » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:47 pm

At least they're not attacking Canada. Now that would be a crisis. :-°
Image
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
Posts: 9875
Joined: 12 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On a Mission

Re: Killer Fish Attacks Britain

Postby flloyd » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:15 pm

These fish are very bad for the environment however those articles in the first post are total fluff and completely exaggerate their danger to humans. They are bad because they kill eat and out compete a lot of native fish and other aquatic species. There is an interesting perspective in this video about how they have affected rivers in the Washington, DC area since they arrived a few years ago. Note that it is in HD so its a very large download.
flloyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 597
Joined: 4 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Santa Monica, CA

Re: Killer Fish Attacks Britain

Postby bigken117 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:04 am

Amazinz wrote:They are legal to sell and own in NC


Isn't cousin's marrying legal in NC too? Just because it's legal doesn't make it right...
Image

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 12879
(Past Year: 248)
Joined: 15 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: posed in an awkward stance

Re: Killer Fish Attacks Britain

Postby Amazinz » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:53 am

bigken117 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:They are legal to sell and own in NC


Isn't cousin's marrying legal in NC too? Just because it's legal doesn't make it right...

Umm, yes first cousin marriage is legal in North Carolina. It's also legal in New York and Massachusetts. In an ironic twist, it's illegal in West Virginia. Things that make you say, "hmm". :-?
Image
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 18800
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: in Canada, toughening up figure skaters

Re: Killer Fish Attacks Britain

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:57 am

Amazinz wrote:
bigken117 wrote:Isn't cousin's marrying legal in NC too? Just because it's legal doesn't make it right...

Umm, yes first cousin marriage is legal in North Carolina. It's also legal in New York and Massachusetts. In an ironic twist, it's illegal in West Virginia. Things that make you say, "hmm". :-?


Why would you guys even know that?
Have you considered it as an option?
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11363
(Past Year: 25)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Re: Killer Fish Attacks Britain

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:09 am

bah...i saw that documentary on national geographic about snakeheads and they make it sound so bad. upon reading about it more on the internet, i realized a lot of people in US own them and they even trade them on-line. in fact, they even sell snakeheads in the asian markets around here but of course they are dead. it would be illegal if they were alive, at least in CA. my dad, who's tried snakeheads says they're not even that good.

and they don't "eat" people, they bite them, yes but they don't eat people... :-b
Image
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 6508
Joined: 18 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: City of Grigori

Re: Killer Fish Attacks Britain

Postby JRM4833 » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:44 am

Sorry about the links in the OP. Don't know why they're dead now. Here's some more info:

[img}http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2008/02/snakeheadAP_450x250.jpg[/img]

Metro

Daily Mail

Panic after 'Franken-fish' that is deadlier than a piranha is caught in Britain


With its razor- sharp teeth, the fish known as the giant snakehead terrorises the warm waters of south-east Asia.

Which is why an angler was particularly startled to hook a 2ft specimen from a river in Lincolnshire.

Andrew Alder caught the snakehead using a sprat for bait while fishing for pike in the River Witham near North Hykeham.

He took photographs of his catch and handed them over to experts who confirmed it was the deadly predator.

So devastating is the damage a giant snakehead can wreak on other fish, frogs and their natural habitat that it is on a list of species which cannot be imported into the UK.

Mr Alder, from Lincoln, said his catch had a mouth full of razor-sharp teeth and looked absolutely terrifying.

It is thought that the fish was smuggled in for a private aquarium and then illegally released into the wild when it became too much of a nuisance.

The presence of even one of the species in British waters is a nightmare for environmentalists and conservationists.

Giant snakeheads caused chaos to indigenous fish and the environment when they were found living in rivers and lakes in the U.S. in 2002.

Snipers with high-powered rifles even set up watch to shoot the fish as they crawled ashore and entire lakes were poisoned to get rid of them.

A spokesman for the Environment Agency said: "The giant snakehead is not native to the UK and the coolness of our waters mean they are unlikely to survive for any length of time in this country.

"However, they could still pose a danger to habitat and other fish and we would like to remind people that the dumping of fish in waters is illegal in this country and should not be carried out under any circumstances.

"Not only that, but dumping of non-native fish can cause severe damage to indigenous species and their natural environment."

Ben Weir, of the Anglers Mail, said: "In all my time of working within fishing I have never heard so many concerned voices."

Luckily Mr Alder realised the potential damage the snakehead could cause and did not throw it back. It later died and he disposed of it.


The bit about the snipers and crawling onto land are what get me.
Image

________________
One man with courage makes a majority.
Andrew Jackson
JRM4833
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 3308
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 18 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Where else ... Boston

Re: Killer Fish Attacks Britain

Postby Simulacrum » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:27 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
Amazinz wrote:
bigken117 wrote:Isn't cousin's marrying legal in NC too? Just because it's legal doesn't make it right...

Umm, yes first cousin marriage is legal in North Carolina. It's also legal in New York and Massachusetts. In an ironic twist, it's illegal in West Virginia. Things that make you say, "hmm". :-?


Why would you guys even know that?
Have you considered it as an option?


Just from talking to your parents, Dodger. And your grand-parents before them... and your great-grandparents... great great grandparents... ;-7
Image
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
Posts: 9875
Joined: 12 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: On a Mission

Previous

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2015 MLB season starts in 22:11 hours
(and 95 days)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact