Killer Fish Attacks Britain - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Killer Fish Attacks Britain

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Killer Fish Attacks Britain

Postby JRM4833 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:57 pm

This is stolen from another poster at another forum I frequent. Thought the story was unbelievable and felt like sharing.

Killer fish terrifies Britain

A SAVAGE fish that eats everything it comes across, including people, has been hooked by a British fisherman — sparking fears of a deadly invasion.

The giant snakehead, originating from South-East Asia, has a mouth crammed with teeth.

It’s deadly in the water, but it can also “crawl” on land and survive out of water for up to four days.

The discovery of the fish in Linconshire, northern England, has caused widespread panic amongst conservationists and anglers.

An Environment Agency source told the Sun: “The reaction was, ‘Oh s***’. This is the ultimate invasive species - if it starts breeding here it’s a disaster.”

Andy Alder caught the snakehead in the River Witham while using a sprat as bait for pike. He told the Sun: “It had a gob full of razor-sharp teeth. To be honest it looked terrifying.”

It is believed the fish may have been smuggled in for an aquarium and illegally released

http://www.news.com.au/mercury/story/0, ... 40,00.html

The presence of even one of the species in British waters is a nightmare for environmentalists and conservationists.

Giant snakeheads caused chaos to indigenous fish and the environment when they were found living in rivers and lakes in the U.S. in 2002.

Snipers with high-powered rifles even set up watch to shoot the fish as they crawled ashore and entire lakes were poisoned to get rid of them.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... ge_id=1770

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Killer Fish Attacks Britain

Postby Tavish » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:06 pm

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby knapplc » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:07 pm

These are pretty nasty fish and they have environmentalists and conservationists concerned all over the U.S. I just saw a show on Discovery about these things. You don't want them in your fisheries, that's what I understood.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:42 pm

Tavish wrote:Image

All I can say about that fish is JESUS!!!!

Erm, must be from Leeds. :-D

If I could be serious for a minute, wasn't Maryland infested with this kind of fish a few years ago?
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Postby Amazinz » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:32 pm

The link to the first article doesn't work. In your quote of the article it says that snakeheads can eat people which is absolutely false AFAIK?? If anyone has evidence to the contrary I'd like to see it. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:30 pm

knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:35 pm

Amazinz wrote:The link to the first article doesn't work. In your quote of the article it says that snakeheads can eat people which is absolutely false AFAIK?? If anyone has evidence to the contrary I'd like to see it. :-D

I read that they could grow up to 5 ft. long but it's from Wikipedia after all. More likely than not, it sounds like an exaggeration that they can eat people but are aggressive enough to bite you. Supposedly, in that part of Asia, people raise these fish to fight other snakeheads.

The links didn't work for me either yesterday. The idea that snipers are picking off the snakeheads as they head to shore sound like something out of Monty Python.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Postby Tavish » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:37 pm

From the sounds of that, I am starting to think that the arrival of snakeheads in US lakes and rivers may be an al-Qaeda plot.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 34)

Postby knapplc » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:45 pm

That question-and-answer session from the link I posted says a few interesting things that make me far less concerned. First, it says that they raise these things in Asia to eat, and that they were brought to North America for that purpose. Second, it says that they have used large-mouth bass to control snakefish because the LMB prey on them. If bass eat these fish, they can't be that bad. Finally, it says that they only bite you if you mess with their nests. This jives with the show I watched a few days ago, where the Asian dude who got bit lives in a house on poles over the lake/river and the snakehead lives right under his house. The guy got chomped reasonably good, but nothing worse than a small dog bite.

So the big worry seems to be the biological impact on native species, and while that's a concern and something to think about, the same concern exists for large-mouth bass when they show up in non-native areas, and nobody is afraid of bass.

So it's not that big of a deal, apparently?
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Amazinz » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:55 pm

They are legal to sell and own in NC (or at least were a couple of years ago). My brother-in-law owned a pair. I can't imagine they are that dangerous to the environment. Both of those articles sound like BS to me. I doubt you need a high-powered rifle to take them out. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk