Advice for League Rules - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Advice for League Rules

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Advice for League Rules

Postby the_phughes » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:55 pm

Hey i'm the commissioner of one my leagues on espn.com, and i was jsut looking for some advice on how ot run things. Last year was our first year, and we decided to make 7 keepers, so this is our first year with the keeper players. There are 8 teams. The roster consists of 2C, 2 1b, 2 2b,
2 3b, 2 SS, 6 Of, 2 Util, 3 SP, 3 RP, and 2 P.
scoring categories are-
(TB) = 1 (BB) = 1 Innings Pitched = 3 Hits Allowed = -1
(R) = 1 (RBI) = 1 Walks Issued = -1 Earned Runs = -2
(SB) 1 (K)= -1 Strikeouts = 1 Wins = 10
Losses = -5 Saves = 5

After everyone decides their keepers ESPN makes the keepers your first 7 round draft choices. The draft order is already decided based on the standings from last season. So the last place team picks first, and the first place team picks 8th.
My main questions are about keeper settings. Should the league have restrictions on the kept players, so that the draft isn't really diluted the next year? Do you think it would be a good idea to make a rule that says you cannot keep your first round pick from the previous season. Or if not this rule, make a rule that says you can only keep 2 players that were picked in the first 5 rounds of the previous year's draft. If you have any other advice on how to make the keeper factor more interesting while still maintaining an exciting draft please let me know.

All advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
the_phughes
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Advice for League Rules

Postby the_phughes » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:31 pm

anyone? please
the_phughes
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Bloody Sox » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:29 pm

What we do in our league is make a team forfeit a draft pick 4 rounds earlier than where the keeper player was drafted. But we only keep 3 guys, so you'd likely want different settings. Maybe you could forfeit a draft pick 2 rounds earlier than where your keeper was drafted. So a guy drafted in the 4th round can be kept for a 2nd round pick, an 8th round pick can be kept for a 6th round pick the first year, then a 4th round pick the second year, and so on. We do it this way so that guys are not kept forever and so that top level guys are made available.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Matthias » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:42 pm

Well, first I would just clear out your league settings from your initial post. It just makes it messy and distracts away from the question that you're asking.

As to what you're actually asking, though, there are different ways to handle keepers. You're a little bit constrained by the way that ESPN does it so you can't do something like keeper costs you round drafted + whatever escalator.

Well, actually, you could, if you wanted to get fancy about it.

Here's my proposals from simplest to most complicated:
* Everyone keeps 7 players. Whee. The draft is then pretty uninteresting as you're starting the draft in the 8th round.
* Noone can keep a 1st rounder from last year. Ok. This is pretty simple. But it will get messy, anyway, because what constitutes a, "1st rounder"? In year 2 of the league, it's pretty easy. A-Rod, Pujols, etc., all will go back into the pool. Ok. Well, in year 2 of the draft they're going to be the same players taken again, just by different teams, since they're going to be better than the 8th rounders they're competing against (see above). So you have people keeping players from rounds 2-6 and passing around to each other the 1st rounders, who will have declining skills.
* You say, ok, that didn't really work. Let's do this: You can keep 2 players from rounds 2-5, 2 players from rounds 6-10, 2 players from rounds 11-15, and 3 players from after then. This might work. You would have to keep track of where people are drafted and: (a) either do some sort of round addition each year they're kept or (b) face the possibility that someone is going to keep Ryan Braun as a 24th rounder for the next 7 years. But it's workable at least.
* Ok. Now for the doozie. This is something I worked up for someone else about two years ago.
Here's a system I came up with someone else who was thinking of doing non-auction draft keepers for their league. Basically, you create a system of, "keeper points" that each team gets to use each season. They get to choose if they use it on a few high-round draft choices or on a bunch of low-rounders. And they get rewarded more for choosing someone in a late round rather than just saying, "4 keepers." The total, "keeper budget" you can adjust up or down depending on how big of rosters you want people to be able to keep, but I'd suggest 16 points or just slightly higher. If you get to keep all of your big studs, there's no real fun in it for anyone who had a crappy team one year to have the same crappy team in the next.

So here's the system:

1) Have each keeper be worth: 10 - Round they're drafted in. This would make a first round keeper count as 9 points, a 2nd rounder count as 8, etc. There would be a minimum of 1 keeper point for anyone drafted 10th round or after and 2 keeper points for anybody picked up off of the waiver wire to create more of a reward for drafting well versus watching the waiver wire (although picking up Huston Street last year and keeping him for 2 points would still be pretty cheap).

2) Have point escalations each year that you keep somebody of 1, 2, 4, 6, and 6 points per year, meaning the first year you keep someone they're worth their keeper point value. The next year they increase 1 point, the next year 2 more, 4 more, and then 6 every year thereafter.

So a second-round draft pick would be: 8 keeper points the first year he's kept; 9 keeper points the second year; 11 the third; and 15 the fourth.

It also means that a 10th+ round draft pick is equal to a third rounder in 3 years: draft year (0), year 1 (1), year 2 (3), year 3 (7)

3) Have a total keeper budget of 16 points. This would allow you enough points to keep your 1st rounder for 4 years (9, 10, 12, 16) plus their first year in the league/drafting year so 5 years. A 10-rounder you could keep for 5 plus their drafting year: 1, 2, 4, 8, 14. But you'll have them at much cheaper for the first four of those years, so there's incentive to draft Pujols as a rookie, but if he does turn into an absolute stud, other people will get a shot at him after a while.

4) Keeper points / # of years kept obviously transfer along with the player when traded.

The ensuing drafts would be done normally, with the last-place team drafting first or whatever system you set up (some leagues set it up that the #6 team drafts first to create incentive for the bottom teams to continue to compete). You don't need to worry about replacing draft picks because all the price is paid via the keeper price: if someone wants to keep a 1st rounder vs. numerous late-rounders, that's their decision and no need to take away their 1st round draft choice from them, as well. Teams that kept more players will be finished with their draft a round or two earlier: you just skip them once you get to their draft spot until everyone has their roster filled.

The benefits of this system is that each round that a player is drafted in has value: finding someone in the 4th round is better than pulling them out in the 1st. It also allows for greater owner control: they can decide if they want their one super-stud or 3 or 4 bluechips that they found late. It also keeps up interest through the entire draft.

The exact numbers can be played with, obviously, although if I changed, I would keep increasing the keeper cost each year so that you don't have someone drafting Pujols as a rookie and then getting to keep them his entire career.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Matthias » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:43 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:What we do in our league is make a team forfeit a draft pick 4 rounds earlier than where the keeper player was drafted. But we only keep 3 guys, so you'd likely want different settings. Maybe you could forfeit a draft pick 2 rounds earlier than where your keeper was drafted. So a guy drafted in the 4th round can be kept for a 2nd round pick, an 8th round pick can be kept for a 6th round pick the first year, then a 4th round pick the second year, and so on. We do it this way so that guys are not kept forever and so that top level guys are made available.

The problem with that solution is the way ESPN, which they use, does the keepers; it just uses the first 7 rounds to keep guys with. I suppose you could still do it if you forced players to draft garbage guys in the spots that their keepers would have been taken but that also could get messy fast.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Commissioner's Corner