Does any "Ask The Expert" Work - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Does any "Ask The Expert" Work

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Does any "Ask The Expert" Work

Postby fantasyvet » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:59 pm

I have emailed '"ask the expert 'on a few sites and I get a response 3 days later if at all Ron Shandler has a good one but he charges for it.. Thats not for me. Does any site provide a decent ask the expert with good and prompt answers? I appreciate the information.
fantasyvet
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Does any "Ask The Expert" Work

Postby ScarletP » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:03 pm

In my opinion, this is one of the best places to get expert advice:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/index.php

Responses come quickly, you get multiple answers from very knowledgeable people, and it's all free.
ScarletP
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby MTUCache » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:03 pm

Frankly, if you're even somewhat capable at combing through information and combining ideas from several sources, this web-site right here will blow just about everything else out of the water.

You have to be careful about taking all advice with a grain of salt, and seperating which posters are the most trustrworthy, but this place is really ideal for getting "expert" advice, along with plenty of "not-so-expert" advice to go along with it.

If you play in a league with pretty standard scoring and positions, I'd put this forum of "experts" up against just about any other source out there... no reason to keep looking for pay sites or self-gratifying columnists. You're already in the right spot. Ask away and be prepared to think about the answers you're getting instead of just swallowing them verbatim.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Bloody Sox » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:28 pm

Bingo - you've already come to the right place. Why put all your faith in one "expert" when no expert is right all the time? Better to get varying opinions and decide for yourself - that's why you're playing fantasy baseball, isn't it?
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby talan37 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:39 pm

I agree with everything above. Typically you need to look for "informative" posts than simply posts that tell you the answer, but that actually use data to back up there posts to some degree. For the most part there is no simple answer, but once you learn how to use the resources that are all over the web, you can figure out many things out for yourself. In my opinion _most_ but not all of the information you get from columnists will be one of a few things:
1. old - about players that anyone who actually pays attention to has already snapped up or had there eye on
2. sample size - Too many columnists write columns about guys who are hot for 1-2 weeks but then drop off the map because they had no actual ability to back it up, or they had the skills and are already gone in any league worth its salt.(see above) I love reading espns daily notes about matchups, aside from a few things about lefty/righty stuff and updates about who will be playing/sitting its all sample size gibberish.
3. Too much opinion about players without enough data and facts.

They do have some interesting stuff though specifically related to player injuries etc that can be helpful.(all that stuff is in the cafe though _very_ quickly, usually within 10 minutes if its an important player). I also do enjoy reading certain columns just for the "baseball related content" instead of actual fantasy advice.
Check out my blog at http://www.rotopulse.com for fantasy baseball analysis, injury reports, commissioner info and more. For laughs check out http://www.sportshysterics.com
talan37
College Coach
College Coach

Trivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Bloody Sox » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:03 pm

talan37 wrote:Typically you need to look for "informative" posts than simply posts that tell you the answer

Unless you go to the Draft/Trade/Keepers/Waivers or the Start/Bench forums, where you can get quick responses to very specific questions you might have about your own situation.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby stevethumb » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:19 am

welcome to the cafe, fantasyvet ;-D
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:30 am

fantasyvet wrote:I have emailed '"ask the expert 'on a few sites and I get a response 3 days later if at all Ron Shandler has a good one but he charges for it.. Thats not for me. Does any site provide a decent ask the expert with good and prompt answers? I appreciate the information.

Hey Lenny.

:*)
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Cow » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:34 am

Well this is a good place, but you do have to sift through both good and bad info. Come here enough and you will be helped greatly. Pretty much everyone here knows what they are talking about, generally speaking you get solid advice. You will definitely find that there is more than one way to skin a cat or evaluate players, set up a team etc... Me I am more of a cat skinner, mmm mmm good eats!

The Cow
Give Snakes his due!!!! Snakes deserves the fantasy expert icon!!! Go Snakes!!!!
The Cow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JoshExley » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:44 pm

OneLoveBoomer wrote:
fantasyvet wrote:I have emailed '"ask the expert 'on a few sites and I get a response 3 days later if at all Ron Shandler has a good one but he charges for it.. Thats not for me. Does any site provide a decent ask the expert with good and prompt answers? I appreciate the information.

Hey Lenny.

:*)

I emailed Lenny. he got back to me the next day to ask a follow up and then never replied. I had to email him again to remind him I didn't get an answer.
But....the advice was solid.
JoshExley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers